League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
In a just world Drai wouldn’t get to see the ice the rest of the series. What an absolute joke. Leaping forearm into the face of the opposing teams best player, clearly targeting.

Reactions: Calicaps

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
One thing I've learned watching the Oil in POs: Drai has a dirty side and Connor has been watching too much footage of Cryin Crosby.

Quite enjoyed their mental meltdown tonight.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Through the first 2 games, Panthers have disrupted the Oilers offense and PP. Oilers just don't have the depth to win a series like this. D and G win championships. Even the juggernaut Oilers of Gretzky's days had to learn that. Same for the high powered offense of the Pens.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Draisaitl has a bit of that Malkin thing. He’s an unbelievable player but when things aren’t going his way he gets pissy and dirty.

Through the first 2 games, Panthers have disrupted the Oilers offense and PP. Oilers just don't have the depth to win a series like this. D and G win championships. Even the juggernaut Oilers of Gretzky's days had to learn that. Same for the high powered offense of the Pens.
I feel like the two teams this series are like this: the Oilers are a team with glaring flaws but their strengths are generally so strong that it usually carries them. The Panthers don’t have any glaring flaws (I guess they’re PP at the moment). So if the Panthers can hold down the Oilers strengths you get a series like the one we’ve seen so far.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Draisaitl has a bit of that Malkin thing. He’s an unbelievable player but when things aren’t going his way he gets pissy and dirty.

I feel like the two teams this series are like this: the Oilers are a team with glaring flaws but their strengths are generally so strong that it usually carries them. The Panthers don’t have any glaring flaws (I guess they’re PP at the moment). So if the Panthers can hold down the Oilers strengths you get a series like the one we’ve seen so far.
Still early in the series but it seems like the Panthers D simply stands out a bit more. Hard not to admire the Panthers even in the regular season against the Caps with that relentless forecheck. Reminds me the dominant Caps years. All that said just having superstars doesn't guarantee SCs.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
When things don't go right for Draisaitl, he always acts like a douche! Would never want him on my team if I'm serious about trying to win a Cup!
If Barkov has to miss game(s) due to a concussion (and maybe even a broken jaw), Drai should have to sit at least 1 game.

He left both of his feet, and lead with his elbow, with principal point of contact to the head. Hard to imagine a more text book example of a hit that warrants DOPS intervention. Tom got 3 games for his hit on ZAR in 2018. Soucy got a game for his cheap shot on McDavid in Round 2. Drai should get at least 1.

But, the league will probably prefer to have Drai on the ice so EDM can show well at home for G3. If Barkov is out, that will leave a bad taste in my mouth (as a neutral fan who is normally fine with most physicality).

You shouldn’t be able to knock out the other team’s best player just cause you’re pissed that he’s owning you. And then be protected from repercussions cause you’re a star.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That was a dominant performance from the Panthers and they didn't blink even after going down early. On the Oilers first shot of the game.

Draisatl has a poor reputation and he's kind of a sore loser but he's also a player that does everything possible to get them to a Cup. This was a second game in a row where he's been nowhere to be seen. He sees his friend McDavid so deep in Barkov's pocket that he's reaching out his hand to get out of there. Draisatl is not going to pass up on that hit on Barkov after having a crappy game like that. Why? There is a good chance they kill the penalty (they surprisingly didn't) and the league isn't going to do shit about it because he's a star player. Taking out Barkov might be the only way they even have a minimal chance to get back into the series or atleast avoid a humiliating sweep.

What's worse for the league, having game 3 without a star player or without 2 star players? They aren't going to give a shit if it's fair. I'd expect a fine and will be shocked if it's any more than that.

Reactions: PlushMinus

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Its such a relief to not be emotionally invested in a series. I'd like to see the Oil win, but if they
don't, meh, the NBA draft is in a couple of weeks, and I'm playing Battlefield V this weekend. Time to move on.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Drai reminds me more of Kucherov than Malkin. Malkin gets pissy but Kucherov and Draisatl go over the top and look to hurt people.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I like that snarl in my players, especially when you’re down…but launching into the head is not cool. Should be a game off, which sets up McDavid to be a hero, or a goat (and not the good kind)….

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
It’s actually insane that after reviewing it they didn’t uphold a 5 minute major. Clear as day leaping, targeting the head, player injured. My guess is they went to review, saw the number 29 on the monitor and decided against it. Probably saves him from a suspension too.

If Barkov is out any number of games, Tkachuk has to step up and put this team on his back.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It’s actually insane that after reviewing it they didn’t uphold a 5 minute major. Clear as day leaping, targeting the head, player injured. My guess is they went to review, saw the number 29 on the monitor and decided against it. Probably saves him from a suspension too.

If Barkov is out any number of games, Tkachuk has to step up and put this team on his back.
They cannot review it UNLESS the refs initially call a major. They only called a minor, so there was no review.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
They cannot review it UNLESS the refs initially call a major. They only called a minor, so there was no review.
Ok, I probably conflated it in my mind with the Foegele call earlier. In the end I don’t think anything comes out of it, the league will say “it was a 2 minute penalty, I’m sure he didn’t mean it”, and Oilers fans will say that’s for the best, let the players sort it out. Unfortunately letting the players sort it out means “if you go after any of our players with anything more than a love tap you’ll be penalized because the officials will be on the lookout”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad