League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
How much do y'all think Grubauer regrets that Seattle contract?
Live shot of Grubauer right now:

woody-harrelson-wipe.gif

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Bura is a Tampa killer got to have him to beat them in the playoffs once they get going

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
This is a conversation on the HFCapitals forum in which we're discussing whether or not the Capitals have the longest active playoff streak. Disqualifying Pittsburgh's streak because of the "play in round" being distinct from the "playoffs" in a year that was truncated due to a worldwide pandemic, in which Pittsburgh would have made the playoffs in a full season, and in which the Capitals were equally listless in that playoff bubble - well, disqualifying Pittsburgh because of that would be much more in line with the raising junk banners mentality you're decrying. This isn't Pittsburgh fans claiming they're the best, this is a conversation within the Washington fanbase on HFCaps about the topic. Saying "we're #1!" because of that "play in round" loss by Pittsburgh is cringy AF.
See, again, you’re misreading it. I don’t care about the stat and never did. I wasn’t the one who decided to include or disqualify them for it, but since it came up? It never felt like the playoffs, then or now. I’ve never felt any other way, to the point where if the roles were reversed I wouldn’t give two shits about saying the Caps didn’t make it either.

If you want to “but actually” you can do it all day, you’re right by the letters and rules. Then again, you could also just rephrase the tweet to say quarterfinals and it’s true. Counting a one-off in a format they’re not going back to is an asterisk to me and was always going to be, and it’s not something I’d hang my hat on as a fan at all.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Counting a one-off in a format they’re not going back to is an asterisk to me and was always going to be, and it’s not something I’d hang my hat on as a fan at all.
But that's exactly what you're doing right now. There's no Penguins fans here touting that they're the true streak masters. There's just you, claiming they aren't. Any Caps fan resting on a "one-off in a format they're not going back to" to disqualify the Pens streak is absolutely relying on "an asterisk" to claim the Caps streak is the longest. Plain and simple.

If you truly "don't care about the stat and never did," why are you even arguing about this?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don’t know if the money would work, but I really want Nichushkin on Washington. He’d fit like a glove.
Jichushkin looks great. Speed, dee, smart. Had a career year in goals as well. His stock is up and I’d expect 5.5-6 per. But i don’t think Colorado will let him go. He is core.

Reactions: twabby

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
But that's exactly what you're doing right now. There's no Penguins fans here touting that they're the true streak masters. There's just you, claiming they aren't. Any Caps fan resting on a "one-off in a format they're not going back to" to disqualify the Pens streak is absolutely relying on "an asterisk" to claim the Caps streak is the longest. Plain and simple.

If you truly "don't care about the stat and never did," why are you even arguing about this?
the f*** are you talking about? I can't say "I don't give one singular shit about a playoff streak" any more than I already have. It's generally nice to be in one I guess, and that's about it. You came in to "but actually" somebody, I said "let's be real that wasn't really the playoffs part of the playoffs" and you went and did it again.

I don't really know why you can't read a post that basically says "yeah, you're technically right and I admit that, but this is how I feel about it" and agree to disagree if you feel differently instead of breaking down something I already know (that I'm factually wrong and don't particularly care). I don't see Pens fans talk about it because they've enjoyed plenty of real, actual victories and similarly don't really give a shit

it's possible to not care about a stat that doesn't matter and still think (and voice) that the play-in is a technicality

Reactions: Jags

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
In the 1st period Colorado was up 2-0, Burky came down on a partial breakaway and Vasilevskiy made the save, fast forward less than two minutes and Tampa scores and its 2-1 vs being down 3-0 on the road. Big change.

That is the save that the Caps didn't and likely won't get from the two guys they have in net. When you need a save the big goalies make it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In the 1st period Colorado was up 2-0, Burky came down on a partial breakaway and Vasilevskiy made the save, fast forward less than two minutes and Tampa scores and its 2-1 vs being down 3-0 on the road. Big change.

That is the save that the Caps didn't and likely won't get from the two guys they have in net. When you need a save the big goalies make it.
Vasi had a pretty bad first period though. He recovered nicely but those goals went through him. Very un-Vasi-like.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Jichushkin looks great. Speed, dee, smart. Had a career year in goals as well. His stock is up and I’d expect 5.5-6 per. But i don’t think Colorado will let him go. He is core.

I agree with you that I think Colorado is going to make every effort to keep him. He really is the straw that stirs the drink in many respects, and he does things that a lot of their forwards don't. I think they're much more likely to let players like Kadri, Burakovsky, and Kuemper hit UFA.

But if Nischushkin does hit UFA, back up the Brinks truck to his driveway. He facilitates so much for skilled players and that's what Washington needs.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
So, which is the priority for a goalie in the playoffs? Assuming they end up at the same overall save percentage, is it better to have a goalie who doesn’t let in deflating softies, but won’t bail you out when the defense gives up an odd man rush, or a goalie who gives up softies more than you’d like but also pulls off the occasional highlight reel save?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Non. My man got paid.
Pretty much. He has his ring and his name on the Cup and after that Seattle contract is over he’ll have earned $48M, not including any other contact he signs after this one (even if it’s in Europe). Not too shabby for a 4th round draft pick.

Reactions: um

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Non. My man got paid.
I guess the question is how different were the offers from Seattle and Colorado. After Grubby left, Colorado paid a pretty steep draft pick price via trade to get Kuemper at $4.5M. You have to imagine that they were willing to put up a similar AAV for Grubauer as Kuemper, with the big difference obviously being term (Kuemper only had 1 year remaining on his deal). Grubby definitely got more total money from Seattle, for sure. But you gotta wonder how much more he got in total.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
So, which is the priority for a goalie in the playoffs? Assuming they end up at the same overall save percentage, is it better to have a goalie who doesn’t let in deflating softies, but won’t bail you out when the defense gives up an odd man rush, or a goalie who gives up softies more than you’d like but also pulls off the occasional highlight reel save?
Timing is everything in life, so both of what you are asking.

The save I was referencing was by no means a highlight reel save, in fact he made it look very ordinary, but it was a save that he needed to make to keep his team in it. A save that your favorite goalie in the world, John Gibson would probably have made, but a guy like Samsonov, Vanaceck, Reimer, Husso, or whatever average goalie you continue to pedal wouldn't and the game changes.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Pretty much. He has his ring and his name on the Cup and after that Seattle contract is over he’ll have earned $48M, not including any other contact he signs after this one (even if it’s in Europe). Not too shabby for a 4th round draft pick.
He also never played more than 40 games in a regular season, before this one.

He got paid big time starter money with very little history of being one.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad