League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2021-22 season, Vol. 3, Playoffs Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Timing is everything in life, so both of what you are asking.

The save I was referencing was by no means a highlight reel save, in fact he made it look very ordinary, but it was a save that he needed to make to keep his team in it. A save that your favorite goalie in the world, John Gibson would probably have made, but a guy like Samsonov, Vanaceck, Reimer, Husso, or whatever average goalie you continue to pedal wouldn't and the game changes.
Among the 49 goalies with 1200+ minutes of 5v5 ice time this season, John Gibson's low danger sv% ranked 45th. So, no, Gibson would have had a worse odds of stopping that shot than Samsonov, Vanecek, Reimer, and Husso. Your faith in Gibson is sorely misplaced.

Reactions: Kalopsia

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Timing is everything in life, so both of what you are asking.

The save I was referencing was by no means a highlight reel save, in fact he made it look very ordinary, but it was a save that he needed to make to keep his team in it. A save that your favorite goalie in the world, John Gibson would probably have made, but a guy like Samsonov, Vanaceck, Reimer, Husso, or whatever average goalie you continue to pedal wouldn't and the game changes.
You know, I knew that if I didn't add a line saying "Obviously you'd like to have a goalie who does both, but if you can't get one of those I'm curious which skill people think is more important in the playoffs," then some smartass was gonna say "both," but I left it out anyway. That's on me.

I think it's a legitimate question. Say you've got two goalies and they each face 10 easy shots, 10 medium shots, and 10 hard shots. Goalie A lets in one goal of each type, Goalie B lets in 3 hard shots. They end up with the same SV% and GAA. Does a team feel more confident in front of A because he makes more of the hard saves and bails them out of their mistakes, or B because he stops all the easy and medium ones so they don't have to worry about playing well and being let down by their goalie giving up a softy? I'm honestly curious what people here think.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know, I knew that if I didn't add a line saying "Obviously you'd like to have a goalie who does both, but if you can't get one of those I'm curious which skill people think is more important in the playoffs," then some smartass was gonna say "both," but I left it out anyway. That's on me.

I think it's a legitimate question. Say you've got two goalies and they each face 10 easy shots, 10 medium shots, and 10 hard shots. Goalie A lets in one goal of each type, Goalie B lets in 3 hard shots. They end up with the same SV% and GAA. Does a team feel more confident in front of A because he makes more of the hard saves and bails them out of their mistakes, or B because he stops all the easy and medium ones so they don't have to worry about playing well and being let down by their goalie giving up a softy? I'm honestly curious what people here think.
message board teachable moments….you KNOW it‘s going to get called out….lol….;)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I think you take goalie B if you're a defensive team because commitment to erasing hard shots can tip the balance. The opposite might be true too, where you take goalie A if you're a track meet team, but I think it's probably less important overall which guy is back there

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Love how the mains is full of the usual hot takes just because the Avs scored a couple of goals. "This one's over" "All the East teams are garbage" "now the Bolts have to play a REAL team"

Sigh - it really feels as if HF Boards is 95 percent idiots. Then again I guess that's not much different from humanity in general!
Idk if you ever were on nhl.com years back when they still had their own comment section for each game but that was a real treat to be a part of..made the people on these boards look like scholars. Then facebook took it over and people retreated from lack of anonymity

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Idk if you ever were on nhl.com years back when they still had their own comment section for each game but that was a real treat to be a part of..made the people on these boards look like scholars. Then facebook took it over and people retreated from lack of anonymity
I only ever remember when facebook was in charge of the comments for ESPN

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Facebook comment sections on blog posts about the Capitals are a wonder to read

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Things really went in the toilet maybe 15yrs ago when NHL.com consolidated all the team boards into a universal nhl.com ID.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
No talk regarding the Vegas/Montreal transaction (Dadonov - Weber trade)? I'm certainly no expert when it comes to the LTIR machinations regarding the cap, but this transaction seems like Vegas preparations for going after a goalie after their goalie experience/debacle in the past 12 months.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Going to be funny if Tampa loses and then everyone tells them this proves their other Cups aren’t real Cups. 2020 was the bubble and last year was an abbreviated season with no out of division games and the play-in. My neighbor is a big Tampa fan and is already dreading it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Going to be funny if Tampa loses and then everyone tells them this proves their other Cups aren’t real Cups. 2020 was the bubble and last year was an abbreviated season with no out of division games and the play-in. My neighbor is a big Tampa fan and is already dreading it.

My Lightning fan friend already said Washington's Cup doesn't count since it was against an expansion team so you better believe none of Tampa's Cups are real ones either! Including the one against Calgary, since beating a Canadian team doesn't really count either.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Say you've got two goalies and they each face 10 easy shots, 10 medium shots, and 10 hard shots. Goalie A lets in one goal of each type, Goalie B lets in 3 hard shots. They end up with the same SV% and GAA. Does a team feel more confident in front of A because he makes more of the hard saves and bails them out of their mistakes, or B because he stops all the easy and medium ones so they don't have to worry about playing well and being let down by their goalie giving up a softy? I'm honestly curious what people here think.

I guess it'd come down to how many shots are hard? I mean, 10 really hard shots to stop probably take more than 1 game to accumulate. If the only goals my keeper is giving up are the ones that I can't blame him for, I'm good with that. But I suppose if I had a middling team that gave up a lot of high-danger chances, I might want that dynamo that can take those away.

Conversely, 30 easy/mediums in one game happens a lot. That's a 3.00 GAA no matter how you slice it. So yeah, I want Goalie A cuz most shots ain't super hard.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
If I'm a GM, and my goalie is guaranteed to give up one soft goal every game, I'm on the phone looking for a trade at the earliest opportunity. Goalie B for sure.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Trying to decide which is more fun: watching the Avs play hockey or watching TB get their taints handed to them?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I don’t see how Tampa can possibly win this series. There’s no adjustment that can slow Colorado down, they are fast and loaded throughout the lineup. They are well coached. And they are defensively sound. Tampa might win a game or two.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Genuine piece of shit move by Perry at the end of that there. Wouldn't be surpirsed if his number gets taken in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad