League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Man, the Russians don’t wait long. Right after they uphold Navalny being jailed, they move onto Panarin.

Yeah... I have no idea what is going to happen. But this might spell the end of Panarin's career. Or his career as we know it.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Doubt it would spell the end of his career in the NHL, but it may well sever whatever ties to Russia he has left.

If he's taking a leave of absence from hockey, or out of the public eye, it might be for a long time. By the time he comes back, he might not be the same Panarin.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Can't see this being a career ender for Panarin but it certainly sucks for all involved. Maybe he got wind of a credible threat against his family in Russia and felt the need to head back to sort things out. Hopefully everything is fine and he's able to get back to normal soon.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd wait for the story to develop until forming any opinions.. So far it sounds really stupid across the board. Some crazy guy like Nazerov claims something and Panarin is taking a leave of absence from the Rangers? Lol ain't no way this is the only reason. Something much more to it for sure.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I thought it was some BS from Naz. Crazy. Even if something happened why would they bring this up now?

I guess its Naz's personal vendetta.

Nothing should come out from this in US imho.

Also, its very strange you guys are talking about marginal guy like Navalny.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I thought it was some BS from Naz. Crazy. Even if something happened why would they bring this up now?

I guess its Naz's personal vendetta.

Nothing should come out from this in US imho.

Also, its very strange you guys are talking about marginal guy like Navalny.

Yeah, need to wait to hear more of the story, but the story didn't break here in the US because of Navalny (which is a different story). The story broke because Panarin is taking a leave of absence - for an undisclosed amount of time.

Jun 15, 2007
While I 100% believe this story is coming to light because of his political stance that doesn't mean he's innocent either.

Just because someone is anti-Putin doesn't mean they are a good person. And just because someone is pro-Putin doesn't make them a bad person either ( who could I be talking about here? )

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, dismiss everything Malamud said. He straight up lied about the incident happening in Russia. It was not in Russia.

Naz alleged they paid 40k euro in Latvia to sweep it under carpet (maybe even Panarin paid himself). In 2011.

No source to confirm this yet.

Kind of very strange discussion.

Ps: I know its political but Kremlin doesnt act on countless social media messages like Panarin wrote. Its personal by Naz, 99%. Or someone else but not the state obviously.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Maybe the incident happened back then, and lately they had an arguing about political things and Panarin said smth not pleasant to Naz. Hence the situation

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ps: I know its political but Kremlin doesnt act on countless social media messages like Panarin wrote. Its personal by Naz, 99%. Or someone else but not the state obviously.

The assumption of state involvement (and Brooks' leap to political retribution) comes from the fact that Nazarov specifically referenced Panarin's comments against Putin, and called them "evil." If Nazarov didn't shoe horn Panarin's anti-Putin stance into his comments, the connection likely wouldn't have been made.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Its an odd story and time to come out... On a hockey note couldnt they have broken then 10 year old story about him before him scored on us a bunch Saturday

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Btw, dismiss everything Malamud said. He straight up lied about the incident happening in Russia. It was not in Russia.

Naz alleged they paid 40k euro in Latvia to sweep it under carpet (maybe even Panarin paid himself). In 2011.

No source to confirm this yet.

Kind of very strange discussion.

Was going to comment that our old friend Slava is back with his normal asinine antics. He needs a new hobby other than following Ovechkin around and posting his hot takes.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Was going to comment that our old friend Slava is back with his normal asinine antics. He needs a new hobby other than following Ovechkin around and posting his hot takes.

I never understood Slava's obsession with trashing Ovechkin. Is there some sort of backstory? I never digged into that.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Let's all criticize Putin, then, all crime we do will be fabricated by Moscou)))
Except the connection to politics of Panarin was explicitly stated by Nazarov when he accused Panarin. The political retribution angle was there from the beginning because it is what motivated Nazarov to share the story, according to Nazarov himself.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Except the connection to politics of Panarin was explicitly stated by Nazarov when he accused Panarin. The political retribution angle was there from the beginning because it is what motivated Nazarov to share the story, according to Nazarov himself.
You mean if Nazarov wouldn't mention the political connection, ppl wouldn't connect it to this story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad