League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No, let’s just keep playing 3pt games and allowing everyone to bank on it. It’s SO much better.

This division has turned it into an art form. Some posters must love it

Some posters must love what? 5 wins and 10 ties for a given team suggests a really unhappy fan base. If you like that, ok with me. Not even the vaccine is getting a 90% approval rate.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Bruh have DSP and Connolly fallen off a cliff after that cup run or what. Two careers had legit ended that night in Vegas.

DSP's situation was no one else's fault but his own. Showing up to camp after binging at the buffet line everyday after the Cup. Can't get too mad, I probably would too lol.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
DSP's situation was no one else's fault but his own. Showing up to camp after binging at the buffet line everyday after the Cup. Can't get too mad, I probably would too lol.
Yeah that wouldn't have been a smart decision, buddy. You just skyrocketed your career like never before with a potential of making some serious money. How in the world would you prefer binging at the buffet line lmao? What's even more dumber is the guy refused some multi year offers on the market to sign a 1-year deal for peanuts here and eventually dipped. Whoever his agent was at the time he needed his agent license get revoked on the spot.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Bruh have DSP and Connolly fallen off a cliff after that cup run or what. Two careers had legit ended that night in Vegas.

Well Beagle too, but Burky, Chiasson and Stephenson have taken off since then... it highlights just how hard it is to build a 3rd and 4th line which consistently outperforms its contract value. We caught some lightning in a bottle with that bottom 6 in the Cup run. We've spent a lot of money trying to recapture the magic, with inconsistent results.

Edit, didn't mean to suggest Beagle's career fell apart, but his Capitals career ended, still happy he got paid but would love to have him back.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Well Beagle too, but Burky, Chiasson and Stephenson have taken off since then... it highlights just how hard it is to build a 3rd and 4th line which consistently outperforms its contract value. We caught some lightning in a bottle with that bottom 6 in the Cup run. We've spent a lot of money trying to recapture the magic, with inconsistent results.

Edit, didn't mean to suggest Beagle's career fell apart, but his Capitals career ended, still happy he got paid but would love to have him back.
I'd say with no results whatsoever. Zero playoff series won since then. That's a solid D- job from the management if you ask me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah that wouldn't have been a smart decision, buddy. You just skyrocketed your career like never before with a potential of making some serious money. How in the world would you prefer binging at the buffet line lmao? What's even more dumber is the guy refused some multi year offers on the market to sign a 1-year deal for peanuts here and eventually dipped. Whoever his agent was at the time he needed to get his agent license revoked on the spot.
Yeah, that's why players should never give discounts (assuming financial security is a goal of theirs). Connolly and DSP have been fallen off but DSP took one year, $1M to come back while Connolly bolted and got himself $14M. Neither guy are on an NHL roster as of today but Connolly never has to work again.

It's also so strange that DSP took a one year prove-it deal and then decided to sit out the offseason conditioning program. If you wanted to be a fat cat at least get that fat cat contract first.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Burky and Stephenson yes but Chiasson has been waived since he left. Sure he's back but he was pretty bad for the Oilers. That said, he is very good at sitting in front of the goal and letting McDavid shoot pucks off his stick into the net when McJeezy draws three guys and they leave Chiasson wide open back door, so he's got that going for him.

Reactions: Corby78

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, that's why players should never give discounts (assuming financial security is a goal of theirs). Connolly and DSP have been fallen off but DSP took one year, $1M to come back while Connolly bolted and got himself $14M. Neither guy are on an NHL roster as of today but Connolly never has to work again.

It's also so strange that DSP took a one year prove-it deal and then decided to sit out the offseason conditioning program. If you wanted to be a fat cat at least get that fat cat contract first.
It's tough, because in a vacuum if you asked me how long I'd celebrate as a wealthy man after achieving my lifelong goal, I'd tell you it'd be at least that summer...

But looking at what that moment is, you have to wonder why more people aren't addicted to the idea that if they work even harder they can go back.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

sad, but something was wrong in his head to decide to pass on several million to enjoy one fatass summer. I’m sure he’ll regret that until the end.

Connolly was a genius by comparison. Chiasson too....he’s going to make almost $5 mill off the Oilers....

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Anyone watching the Hawks Wings? They just said Djoos is a young rookie defenseman for the Redwings lol. He has been playing well for them from what I’ve seen

Reactions: Devil Dancer

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015

connolly was well on his way to a 20 goal season and probably 40 pts last year. Something else is going on with here.

Reactions: HecticGlow

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'd take Connolly back if Panik is going the other way and they retain enough where we don't lose cap space, having someone able to snipe 20 goals from the 3rd line without needing PP or hand picked linemates was excellent. He's a one trick pony but we were able to ride the shit out of that pony. We'd still have enough intangibles and defensive play from Hagelin/Hathaway/Sheary/Oshie/Wilson

Not surprising Florida has no more use for him with how they've restructured their team now

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
His salary and poor play?

I’m not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out he had success in the 2 seasons after winning the cup. But 3.5m cap hit is not bad for a 20 goal scorer depth player with a cup on his resume. Plenty of teams would want that. He’s only 16 games removed from essentially back to back 20 goal seasons. Just seems like there is more at play here

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad