NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE SEVEN! Part One!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I am now, in my infinite wisdom, picking someone who should of been a lifetime Flyer. Same as Trouba should of.

scott-mellanby-01baddb8-b088-4bfa-b40f-27049ad4ec0-resize-750.jpeg

Team Legend Right Wing - Scott Mellanby

@DancingPanther
Would have spared us the 1996 Florida Panthers rat fad if he was a career Flyer. :laugh:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Only a few can claim to have seen it with their own eyes.

Others have searched, but those can only continue looking...

Most others simply hear the tales. The tales of something so fleeting, though still seared into the minds of those who claim to have seen it. Can it even be possible? How can a blip of existence leave such a lasting mark on innocent lives? This burning question is what people latch onto, desperately clamoring for answers.

@PanthingDancer is the official urban myth of the Plats.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Uncertain of the landscape for legend defensemen, the Ghibli don't want to hesitate in making a selection to solidify the backend. Always on the hunt for market inefficiencies, one defenseman stands out as having one of the more unusual career arcs in the annals of the NHL.

The Honolulu Ghibli select Babe Siebert (D).

HAkaVon.png

1930-Nov16-Worters_stops_Seibert.gif

(rare footage of Siebert shooting)
That unusual thing about Babe Siebert? In his Hall of Fame 14 year career, his first 10 years were spent on left wing. For half of that time he was the left wing for the feared "S Line" on the Montreal Maroons -- one of the best forward trios in the league in the late 1920s and early 30s, winning a Stanley Cup in their first season.

Siebert was not without skill, but he wasn't the gifted playmaker or the natural finisher on his line. He was the glue player and power forward and proto-play driver: he thrived handling the backchecking duties, transition plays (with his notably good straight line speed), puck battles, and boards plays. Siebert was also a nasty, bruiser of a competitor, regularly racking up fights and penalty minutes.

Siebert won another Cup in a 1.5 year stint with the Rangers; he followed that with 3 years on the Bruins. I did say this was my pick for "defenseman," remember? His last year in Boston was spent on defense on a pairing with hated (and I mean hated) rival, Eddie Shore; this after stints at LW and defense the season prior. Babe had a resurgent season and was named a First All-Star. Yet, as it goes with hockey evaluators, the Bruins arbitrarily decided Babe's career was winding down. Babe was traded to the Montreal Canadiens, who were far more bullish on his current defensive abilities.

His first season on the Canadiens, at 33 years old, Siebert became one of only 8 defensemen to win the Hart Trophy; he followed that up with a 3rd place Hart finish (and a 3rd consecutive First All-Star nod), before retiring the season after. Babe was never better than playing defense in the twilight of his career.

Siebert was named the next head coach of the Canadiens upon retirement, but he tragically died at age 35 in a swimming accident with his children that summer. Siebert is a curious case study -- how many players switch positions full-time in their mid-30s and become Hart Trophy caliber? What if Babe played defense sooner?

@Lord Defect -- my liege....

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Uncertain of the landscape for legend defensemen, the Ghibli don't want to hesitate in making a selection to solidify the backend. Always on the hunt for market inefficiencies, one defenseman stands out as having one of the more unusual career arcs in the annals of the NHL.

The Honolulu Ghibli select Babe Siebert (D).

HAkaVon.png

(rare footage of Siebert shooting)

That unusual thing about Babe Siebert? In his Hall of Fame 14 year career, his first 10 years were spent on left wing. For half of that time he was the left wing for the feared "S Line" on the Montreal Maroons -- one of the best forward trios in the league in the late 1920s and early 30s, winning a Stanley Cup in their first season.

Siebert was not without skill, but he wasn't the gifted playmaker or the natural finisher on his line. He was the glue player and power forward and proto-play driver: he thrived handling the backchecking duties, transition plays (with his notably good straight line speed), puck battles, and boards plays. Siebert was also a nasty, bruiser of a competitor, regularly racking up fights and penalty minutes.

Siebert won another Cup in a 1.5 year stint with the Rangers; he followed that with 3 years on the Bruins. I did say this was my pick for "defenseman," remember? His last year on Boston was spent converted to defense on a pairing with hated (and I mean hated) rival, Eddie Shore. Babe had a resurgent season and was named a First All-Star. Yet, as it goes with hockey evaluators, the Bruins decided Babe's career was winding down, and he was traded to the Montreal Canadiens, who were more bullish on Babe's defensive potential.

His first season on the Canadiens, at 33 years old, Siebert became one of only 8 defensemen to win the Hart Trophy; he followed that up with a 3rd place Hart finish (and a 3rd consecutive First All-Star nod), before retiring the season after. Babe was never better than playing defense in the twilight of his career.

Siebert was named the next head coach of the Canadiens upon retirement, but he tragically died at age 35 in a swimming accident with his children that summer. Siebert is a curious case study -- how many players switch positions full-time in their mid-30s and become Hart Trophy caliber? What if Babe played defense sooner?

@Lord Defect -- my liege....
Is this the joke or can I just not see it? :laugh:

d6715819e0b38147939e3791b3d4aefc.png

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He has been in management for so long that it's almost hard to remember that he was a player, but he was a very good one.

My (Habs) friends and I at the time were convinced that Gainey was the type of player who would have dumped the puck into the corner on a breakaway attempt.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The M.A.D. Cats are in the unique position of needing a starting Goaltender. We're overjoyed to see that the player we would have drafted in the first Legends phase is still available now, which simplifies the process greatly. G Ed Belfour

Belfour has the 2 Vezinas and 7 top 4 finishes against insanely difficult competition, but to me it's significantly more impressive that he managed to have Vezina quality seasons for 3 separate franchises both before and after Goaltending modernization took hold. You may remember him for holding on into his 40s, but his Age 25 to 38 seasons were the meat of his career. That leaves us with 14 seasons, 10 of which he spent as a roughly Top 5 Goalie. You simply don't get that kind of consistency after the Goaltending revolution very often.

He was also an excellent Playoff Goalie. His Adjusted SVP was identical to Hasek over a much larger sample size. He easily could have won the Smythe in 1999 and you'd be hard-pressed to argue that was his best postseason run. He just didn't have the teams in front of him, as evidenced by his NHL-record 10 Playoff Losses with 40+ Saves. Only two other Goalies even have more than 5, RANCH and RANCH with 6.

Take it away, @Young Sandwich.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The NJFZ are stoked to select HOF RW Joe Mullen.

one_teamFlames89_01.jpg

Having grown up on the rough and tumble streets of Hell’s Kitchen, Joe started out playing pick-up roller hockey on school yards in Manhattan using a roll of tape as a puck. He went on to have a HOF career, becoming the first American-born player to score 500 goals and 1,000 points, despite going undrafted.

He's pretty much unanimously considered to be one of the great guys of the sport. He may also help out with the Flaming Zeppelin power play in camp, as he knows a thing or two about coaching an effective power play.

@GKJ, you're up

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The M.A.D. Cats are in the unique position of needing a starting Goaltender. We're overjoyed to see that the player we would have drafted in the first Legends phase is still available now, which simplifies the process greatly. G Ed Belfour

Belfour has the 2 Vezinas and 7 top 4 finishes against insanely difficult competition, but to me it's significantly more impressive that he managed to have Vezina quality seasons for 3 separate franchises both before and after Goaltending modernization took hold. You may remember him for holding on into his 40s, but his Age 25 to 38 seasons were the meat of his career. That leaves us with 14 seasons, 10 of which he spent as a roughly Top 5 Goalie. You simply don't get that kind of consistency after the Goaltending revolution very often.

He was also an excellent Playoff Goalie. His Adjusted SVP was identical to Hasek over a much larger sample size. He easily could have won the Smythe in 1999 and you'd be hard-pressed to argue that was his best postseason run. He just didn't have the teams in front of him, as evidenced by his NHL-record 10 Playoff Losses with 40+ Saves. Only two other Goalies even have more than 5, RANCH and RANCH with 6.

Take it away, @Young Sandwich.

tenor.gif

The NJFZ are stoked to select HOF RW Joe Mullen.

one_teamFlames89_01.jpg

Having grown up on the rough and tumble streets of Hell’s Kitchen, Joe started out playing pick-up roller hockey on school yards in Manhattan using a roll of tape as a puck. He went on to have a HOF career, becoming the first American-born player to score 500 goals and 1,000 points, despite going undrafted.

He's pretty much unanimously considered to be one of the great guys of the sport. He may also help out with the Flaming Zeppelin power play in camp, as he knows a thing or two about coaching an effective power play.

@GKJ, you're up

tenor.gif
tenor.gif

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
"Deviating from our strategy of always building line-ups from the goal out, the Tampa Bay FireSticks are very pleased to choose as our third-line centre, Milt Schmidt.

iu

"As the centre of the powerhouse Kraut line, Schmidt led the Bruins to Stanley Cups in 1939 and 1941. Then the entire line enlisted in the Canadian army and fought in World War II, missing 3 seasons, ironically fighting their namesakes. Schmidt returned for the 1946 season, finished 2nd in scoring in 1947, and won the Hart Trophy in 1951 as the Bruins' captain.

"Schmidt retired partway through the 1954-55 season and became the Bruins' coach, a role he kept until 1966. He stayed in the Boston organization, becoming general manager in 1967. Through his shrewd team building -- he acquired Phil Esposito and Ken Hodge from Chicago for Pit Martin, Gilles Marotte, and Jack Norris -- the Bruins won the Cup again in 1970 and 1972.

"Out of our deep respect for Mr. Schmidt, we will completely ignore his time with the Washington Capitals.

"Mr. Schmidt was induced into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961, and he passed away in 2017 at the age of 98."

With no small bit of regret, I redirect the spotlight to my Sunshine state rival, @BiggE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad