NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – HISTORIC PHASE TWENTY!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thank you guarded Rebels! Tawdry Rebels! Painstaking Rebels!

I select TEAM FANBASE:

THE BLUES

f9fb0a187c6e429d1e9b2c84e723043b.jpg

0jrugc9g21h61.jpg

The Blues were one of two fan factions of horse racing in the later Roman Empire. Justinian (my guy) and his wife were among their fans, so I take that variety. The other faction was the Greens. Originally, there were 4 total factions but the Greens and Blues absorbed them. There is no equivalent to these factions today. They make soccer and rugby hooligans look soft and weak. Imagine if the Giants and the Jets each came to embody fandom of all AFC and NFC teams. And you picked one for life. They were an organized crime network. They were your financiers. They were your police/protection. They were your political party. Bloods and Crips mixed with GOP/Dems mixed with every sports rivalry. Over time, they spread through much of the Eastern empire and there are records of massive riots over their rivalry. A chariot driver defecting from one faction to the other and then winning was the cue for a huge riot in Antioch once. There were lots of riots. People routinely died over this rivalry.

Now it's common to portray them as having coherent and consistent political positions, but I cannot imagine that being true. Most likely the vestiges of the patron/client system meant that upper class supporters of each faction could count on them for support, and political rivals would gravitate to the opposites. For example, Justinian was a Blue. So the Greens opposed him. Did they actually all disagree with his policies? No. But they're Eagles fans and he's a Cowboys fan, so they figured he should probably be killed.

The factions came to an end following a matter where Justinian tried to execute some leaders of both Blues and Greens. The Greens already believed he should be killed. The Blues decided that he hadn't shown as much loyalty as they'd prefer, so they also decided he should be killed. The Blues and Greens banded together (there is no rivalry in NA sports that can be used to compare how insane and ominous that must have been) and then set out to overthrow Justinian's government and install their own. Again, these are sports fan clubs.

Justinian originally wanted to flee to safety before returning with loyal legions, but his smokeshow badass wife Theodora declared she would stay, as the purple is as good a burial shroud as you can get. So Justinian stayed and since he had an actual army, the sports fan revolt ended exactly as a similar event would end today: with everyone very dead. Tens of thousands. Among the dead were numerous high profile dudes, because this wasn't just ancient rednecks being rowdy; everyone was tied up in these things.

So, the Blues. They'll kill you and run organized crime rackets in your cities on my behalf. Your streets are mine. NIKA!

Nika, @CanadianFlyer88 !! Nika! Spiffy CF88! Null CF88! Slippery CF88!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thank you guarded Rebels! Tawdry Rebels! Painstaking Rebels!

I select TEAM FANBASE:

THE BLUES

f9fb0a187c6e429d1e9b2c84e723043b.jpg

0jrugc9g21h61.jpg

The Blues were one of two fan factions of horse racing in the later Roman Empire. Justinian (my guy) and his wife were among their fans, so I take that variety. The other faction was the Greens. Originally, there were 4 total factions but the Greens and Blues absorbed them. There is no equivalent to these factions today. They make soccer and rugby hooligans look soft and weak. Imagine if the Giants and the Jets each came to embody fandom of all AFC and NFC teams. And you picked one for life. They were an organized crime network. They were your financiers. They were your police/protection. They were your political party. Bloods and Crips mixed with GOP/Dems mixed with every sports rivalry. Over time, they spread through much of the Eastern empire and there are records of massive riots over their rivalry. A chariot driver defecting from one faction to the other and then winning was the cue for a huge riot in Antioch once. There were lots of riots. People routinely died over this rivalry.

Now it's common to portray them as having coherent and consistent political positions, but I cannot imagine that being true. Most likely the vestiges of the patron/client system meant that upper class supporters of each faction could count on them for support, and political rivals would gravitate to the opposites. For example, Justinian was a Blue. So the Greens opposed him. Did they actually all disagree with his policies? No. But they're Eagles fans and he's a Cowboys fan, so they figured he should probably be killed.

The factions came to an end following a matter where Justinian tried to execute some leaders of both Blues and Greens. The Greens already believed he should be killed. The Blues decided that he hadn't shown as much loyalty as they'd prefer, so they also decided he should be killed. The Blues and Greens banded together (there is no rivalry in NA sports that can be used to compare how insane and ominous that must have been) and then set out to overthrow Justinian's government and install their own. Again, these are sports fan clubs.

Justinian originally wanted to flee to safety before returning with loyal legions, but his smokeshow badass wife Theodora declared she would stay, as the purple is as good a burial shroud as you can get. So Justinian stayed and since he had an actual army, the sports fan revolt ended exactly as a similar event would end today: with everyone very dead. Tens of thousands. Among the dead were numerous high profile dudes, because this wasn't just ancient rednecks being rowdy; everyone was tied up in these things.

So, the Blues. They'll kill you and run organized crime rackets in your cities on my behalf. Your streets are mine. NIKA!

Nika, @CanadianFlyer88 !! Nika! Spiffy CF88! Null CF88! Slippery CF88!
Of course nothing happened or it would have been named Changeinople.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wish I hadn't wasted my pumpkin joke about Papsmearo the other day. I could have used it today. Or tomorrow. Or the next day.

giphy.gif

We start the day with @DancingPanther on the clock, @GKJ on deck, Milord's insipid, moronic, brainless ass on the lido deck, and mja on the lido afterdeck. @JojoTheWhale is busy, but he knows about his picks and will make them when he can, so don't bother him unless you want to get cut. By me.

Speaking of melons, you should see the f***ing blob atop this one c*** from "Transit Love." It's enormous, plus he has chipmunk cheeks, so his face always looks swollen. He's the ex-boyfriend of that hot girl who was hugging me while I peed in my dream, if you member (phrasing). All of the girls on there are always talking about how handsome he is, and I am always like "What the f***." Plus he's a player on the Korean national ice hockey team, and if you member (phrasing), hockey is stupid. He keeps telling his ex to change, and she's like "You just don't like me at all - why would you even want to get back together?" It's because she is hot as balls, that's why. He's a real c*** - he's trying to hold on to her with one hand while getting with one of the other girls. She's very airheaded, and she seems to be one of those girls who has been (mildly, verbally) abused so much that she doesn't know any other way. All they do is fight. I really hate his guts, and I'm hoping she will continue to drift away from him and toward one of the new guys, including me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to f*** off elsewhere. Don't forget to purchase merch!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ok well I’ll just go then.

I’ll take, from the movie Cat People, Nastassja Kinski gratuitously walking around naked at night. Because it’s a movie where these people are really cats (panthers, rather), and they can change back and forth from human form to cat form. And you can become a cat by having sex with a human form of the species. And she’s one of the cats.

Anyone ever see that flick? David Bowie wrote a song for the soundtrack.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm so sorry. We're painting the house. For what it's worth I didn't get this notification. Skip, but don't hate me

I'm not mad. Well, I am mad, but not at you or anyone or anything on here. I'll tell you the degree of "F*** the World" my mood has reached - I just watched "Matthew Perry - the Diane Sawyer Interview."

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I have no idea what I’m doing for my next two picks. Feel free to skip me for now so I don’t hold anything up. Anyone feel like kicking ideas my way, feel free.
Tag me next time!

Official Team Tattoo: Muted Post Horn

images

We here at NJFZ are not big fans of tattoos, and in fact have already selected bad tattoos as our pet peeve. What don't we like about tattoos? Well, see, our biggest issue is meaning. What does a particular tattoo mean? Why is that badly-drawn eagle or random inspirational word in another language important enough to permanently etch onto the temple of your body? I don't have any tattoos but always thought that if I was forced to get one at gunpoint, I'd choose the Flyers logo, and look how foolish that would have been.

That's what makes this a good choice for us. The symbol is a central plot element to Thomas Pynchon's slim novel, The Crying of Lot 49. The book's heroine spends the entirety of the story trying to figure out exactly what the significance of the muted post horn is, or isn't. Does it signify an underground postal system, the counterculture at large, or some great conspiracy? Or does it mean something else entirely? Or nothing special whatsoever? Is it just a hoax? Or is it merely a viral campaign for Pynchon's books being published electronically? Many will tell you that what it really represents is our inability to deal with uncertainty and our tendency towards paranoia.

Now, many pretentious nerds actually already get this tattoo. Mostly just to signify that they've read Pynchon. To distinguish them, all NJFZ representatives will have a secret question they will ask of each other upon seeing the muted post horn tattoo. If they respond correctly, we will know they are a fellow traveler. If incorrectly, we will cold-cock them, take out the dedicated sandpaper in our back pockets, and scratch off the offending tattoo.

@pit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad