NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's in the film.
:laugh: Yeah, I realized that when I was about to pick, however, two things...

1) That had nothing to do with this pick. I genuinely think this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Love it. Like a feature-length Band of Brothers episode, for obvious reasons.

2) As far as Fast and Furious goes, Dom is not the protagonist in my eyes. Brian is much more likable than Dom and I'm only lukewarm on the latter. In the first movie he actually had a character and emotions, then after that he becomes the quiet muscle that says "Family" once in a while.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
:laugh: Yeah, I realized that when I was about to pick, however, two things...

1) That had nothing to do with this pick. I genuinely think this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Love it. Like a feature-length Band of Brothers episode, for obvious reasons.

2) As far as Fast and Furious goes, Dom is not the protagonist in my eyes. Brian is much more likable than Dom and I'm only lukewarm on the latter. In the first movie he actually had a character and emotions, then after that he becomes the quiet muscle that says "Family" once in a while.

Brian? Dom? Who are they?

I thought they were Fast and Furious, respectively

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Funny that this is coming on the tail of some Fast and Furious talk, since this album is about family. Not the album itself, but the memories. I'd never heard of the band before I went to a show of theirs with a group of guys who I'd just met, but who became friends that today mean more to me than just about anything. This band, and particular this album, were our soundtrack for the next couple years.

Team Album II: Do or Die - Dropkick Murphys

@mja Hope you have a nickel so you can get off the subway.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Team College Course II: The Art of Walking

FrankPaleAmericancrocodile-max-1mb.gif

There's a lot of walking involved, apparently. I'm a city guy, I like walking. I walk a lot. I can handle that. Also, apparently some philosophy. Fine.

@Chuck Downie

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That was a huge mismatch last night. I thought it was riveting.

watching-tv-spongebob.gif

We start the day with @Chuck Downie on the clock, @Beef Invictus on deck, @JojoTheWhale on the lido deck, and Dancing Pants on the lido afterdeck.

I started watching this Korean dating show called "Love Me Actually" last night. I'm just partway through the first episode, but it's popping already. What they did is took five single Korean celebrities - three comedians and two actors, I think - and sent them on this kind of travel journey to different places. They haven't left yet, but it sounds kind of like "The Bachelor" after the initial period at the mansion - I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. Then there will be these girls who are part of the "travel club," and I guess they will go on dates with the guys. For some dumb reason they only added four girls (for now), but holy shit, you should see them - rockets, one and all. I'm really looking forward to it.

I also finished re-watching the second season of Mando and the first ep of the new season. It's just so, so f***ing great.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is it. This is me.

Thank you Chuck! Competitive Chuck! Antediluvian Chuck! Material Chuck!

I pick my musician/band.

BELA FLECK AND THE FLECKTONES

future-man-of-bela-fleck-and-the-flecktones-concert-photos.jpg

We have decided to go weird and unique with this one. I don't know if I'd describe them as "Mountain Jazz" or "Prog Bluegrass" but both are valid. They have a banjo. That guy? In that picture up there? That's Future Man, their drummer. He plays a drumitar, which is exactly what it sounds like: A drum guitar. Victor Wooten is on bass. Victor is extremely powerful. I saw them live (and met Vic) at Virginia Tech. Was a great show. Whole lot of Appalachian hippies though, and they were kinda weird about the whole thing. I do not know if this is the kind of weird-ass shit @Surrounded By Ahos can get into but I should tag him just in case, I guess.

Here is a sample for those who don't know. Behold the Weirdness.

@JojoTheWhale! Militant Jojo! Many Jojo! Melted Jojo!

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Team Video Game: Path of Exile

PoE is the ARPG for people who like to be rewarded for knowledge and effort. You can find hundreds of YouTube videos and Twitch clips where people react in horror and/or awe to the size of the skill tree. The campaign itself was made by two people in a garage a decade ago. Just ignore that part until PoE 2 launches in 2023 or 2024. Where this game shines is the endgame and the absurd development cycle. No other game of this breadth puts out a full expansion every 3 months. While other ARPGs put caps on what is and isn't possible, PoE encourages you to get ridiculous.

Rather than explain what an ARPG is or put a fancy pic of a demonic logo here, I'll choose to explain the creativity involved in this game by describing two builds from its history.

There is a Skill in PoE called Spark. Every time you cast Spark, a spider made of lightning is launched and careens off in random directions for a few seconds. One particular player decided to see how many different ways he could scale the number of Sparks on the screen at any one time. The answer was 2,741.

Finally, I give you a hilariously complicated build called WardLoop. Let me stress this is a real build that must be assembled in this exact order. If you don't have enough of various defenses, you will kill yourself in under a second. If you have too much mitigation, the loop will not self-sustain and you will do functionally zero damage. The same conditions apply to mana regeneration, cooldown recovery, and about a dozen other stats/pieces of gear. Only by adjusting everything into a perfect balance will you sustain your WardLoop. This is Heartbound Loop:

image.png

Heartbound Loop had no use for years. It sold for nothing. No one wanted it. Then someone incredibly creative figured out that the downside of taking damage when one of your minions dies can be used to trigger skills via the Cast When Damage Taken gem. Here's how it works:

1. Do some damage to yourself. This is often done by weapon swapping (X on the keyboard) to a second set of weapons that summon two wolves and then immediately switching back to your main set, killing the wolves, and causing Heartbound Loop to damage you.
2. Cast When Damage Taken casts Summon Skeletons.
3. The skeletons expire after less than a quarter of a second.
4. Heartbound Loop damages you when the skeletons die.
5. 6 separate Cast When Damage Taken setups trigger every 0.25 seconds for the rest of eternity, launching dozens of projectiles per second across your screen as you walk along humming a song.

There is absolutely no way I'm typing out all of the loops, so here's an explanation:

@DancingPanther You are a miracle, beloved. You are also a masochist and possibly an idiot. But you're my idiot.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Team college course, offered by Occidental College: Stupidity

This course in critical psychology follows the work of Friedrich Nietzsche, Gilles Deleuze, and most recently, Avital Ronell, in a philosophical examination of those operations and technologies that we conduct in order to render ourselves uncomprehending. Stupidity, which has been evicted from the philosophical premises and dumbed down by psychometric psychology, has returned in the postmodern discourse against nation, self, and truth, and makes itself felt in political life, ranging from the presidency to Beavis and Butt-head. This course examines stupidity.

It's everywhere, might as well learn how to properly deal with it

GM @BigToe I just passed 1000 blitz playing 1|0 that shit is brain melting lol

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

PoE is the ARPG for people who like to be rewarded for knowledge and effort. You can find hundreds of YouTube videos and Twitch clips where people react in horror and/or awe to the size of the skill tree. The campaign itself was made by two people in a garage a decade ago. Just ignore that part until PoE 2 launches in 2023 or 2024. Where this game shines is the endgame and the absurd development cycle. No other game of this breadth puts out a full expansion every 3 months. While other ARPGs put caps on what is and isn't possible, PoE encourages you to get ridiculous.

Rather than explain what an ARPG is or put a fancy pic of a demonic logo here, I'll choose to explain the creativity involved in this game by describing two builds from its history.

There is a Skill in PoE called Spark. Every time you cast Spark, a spider made of lightning is launched and careens off in random directions for a few seconds. One particular player decided to see how many different ways he could scale the number of Sparks on the screen at any one time. The answer was 2,741.

Finally, I give you a hilariously complicated build called WardLoop. Let me stress this is a real build that must be assembled in this exact order. If you don't have enough of various defenses, you will kill yourself in under a second. If you have too much mitigation, the loop will not self-sustain and you will do functionally zero damage. The same conditions apply to mana regeneration, cooldown recovery, and about a dozen other stats/pieces of gear. Only by adjusting everything into a perfect balance will you sustain your WardLoop. This is Heartbound Loop:

image.png

Heartbound Loop had no use for years. It sold for nothing. No one wanted it. Then someone incredibly creative figured out that the downside of taking damage when one of your minions dies can be used to trigger skills via the Cast When Damage Taken gem. Here's how it works:

1. Do some damage to yourself. This is often done by weapon swapping (X on the keyboard) to a second set of weapons that summon two wolves and then immediately switching back to your main set, killing the wolves, and causing Heartbound Loop to damage you.
5. 6 separate Cast When Damage Taken setups trigger every 0.25 seconds for the rest of eternity, launching dozens of projectiles per second across your screen as you walk along humming a song.

There is absolutely no way I'm typing out all of the loops, so here's an explanation:

@DancingPanther You are a miracle, beloved. You are also a masochist and possibly an idiot. But you're my idiot.

YES.

I need to get back in. I only scratched the surface

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

image.png

I really wanted to get into that game but there’s too much freedom and options with seemingly too little forgiveness for not planning your build in advance

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I really wanted to get into that game but there’s too much freedom and options with seemingly too little forgiveness for not planning your build in advance

Correct, it's a design choice and it's not for everyone. The community generally wants free respects up to level 50 or so, then for it to have a cost. But you do know someone who can give you all the currency required to respec at will. And leveling gear if you want it.

YES.

I need to get back in. I only scratched the surface

There should be PoE2 news soon. Wait for that. It's all about to change so much.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
PoE is the ARPG for people who paid attention in math classes - ALL of the math classes - and don't let anyone tell you differently. It still rules.

giphy.gif

We start the day with me on the clock, @Hollywood Cannon on deck, Starberry on the lido deck, and Bernardo on the lido afterdeck. Someone has to sit down and have a conversation with @Magua about the meaning of "tomorrow" relative to the time you say it. Maybe someone who is good at POE should explain it to him.

I have dropped my mouse on the floor about a thousand times recently, because I keep falling asleep in situ. I guess I either flail out with my hand, or I try to navigate the worldwide internet in my sleep. I'm not that addicted to being online, but I could see myself doing that. I have been having a lot of dreams when I fall asleep in the chair, and since the TV is on, there usually is some crossover. For example, last night I fell asleep with the TV on TNT hockey, so Liam McHugh was in my dream, which sucked. It wouldn't have sucked if it was one of those dreams where you beat up Liam McHugh, but it was one of those dreams where you go out drinking with Liam McHugh - God knows why - and get so shitfaced that you lose complete control of your musculature. You could understand why you did that, since you are drinking with Liam f***ing McHugh, but it seems like a waste of dream meat. I need to fall asleep during one of the Korean dating shows, but they are too damned interesting.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have talked about this movie several times - it made quite an impression on me. You could call it the "greatest erotic film of all time," but the emphasis is wrong there - it is the "most erotic great film of all time." And make no mistake - it is truly great. And truly erotic. You wouldn't want to watch this in mixed company. Having said that, the hot moments are essential to the film, and if they weren't in there, it would still be s great movie. Thankfully, they are in there. It really is a must-see. Easily one of the five greatest films I have seen in the past decade.

1469770662.GIF

John-Conlon_The-Handmaiden.jpg

Team Movie - The Handmaiden

@Hollywood Cannon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad