NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I watched the first episode of mad men and did not understand how it managed to become a multi season show. Nothing about it was entertaining.

It’s a character and dialogue driven vehicle with extra special care put into being period correct. It was made for nerds like me, not you. Mrs.Maisel I love for the same reasons. I don’t even mean that snarkily. It was made to fit very specific tastes.

I absolutely hated both the show and books for GoT. They’re just not for me. I’m glad other people can love them so much.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It’s a character and dialogue driven vehicle with extra special care put into being period correct. It was made for nerds like me, not you. Mrs.Maisel I love for the same reasons. I don’t even mean that snarkily. It was made to fit very specific tastes.

I absolutely hated both the show and books for GoT. They’re just not for me. I’m glad other people can love them so much.
I feel like I should be insulted that you didn’t call me a nerd. That’s gotta be a slam somehow. Imma take the weekend to think this over.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

I've been meaning to check out Mrs. Maisel. I just rarely sit down in front of the TV with the intention of watching something beyond background noise anymore. I'm positive I've forgotten how to relax.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I've been meaning to check out Mrs. Maisel. I just rarely sit down in front of the TV with the intention of watching something beyond background noise anymore. I'm positive I've forgotten how to relax.

The dialgoue has a rhythm to it. It tickles my brain in the same place listening to jazz does.

I would say it's most prevalent when Alex Borstein is in a scene, but it's always there to varying degrees.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I feel like I should be insulted that you didn’t call me a nerd. That’s gotta be a slam somehow. Imma take the weekend to think this over.

Not necessarily. I read it as nerds like me, not nerds like you, i.e. you're also a nerd, just an intellectually inferior one who can't appreciate high brow nerd culture.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Fire! Fire! Fire!

a96b717d1a84a9ff73fea794fd5c312fb14453ed.gif

We start the day where we started the day yesterday, with @Rebels57 on the clock, @Asnito on deck with a pair (phrasing), back to Rebel, then on to @BernieParent.

Match on, gotta go.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
As with my last college course pick, I graduated recently enough that I feel obliged to pick a course I actually took. Paid enough for it. I selected my Canterbury Tales class already, so while I'm tempted to take my course on Dante's Infero, I'll veer off in a different direction than medieval literature.

The Honolulu Ghibli sign up for our College Course II......Chinese Anthropology: Mao and the Present

china_alamy.jpg

I'm fascinated with 20th century Chinese history -- it's wildly all over the place (from the Qing dynasty to the Warlord Era to reunification to civil war to Mao to post-Mao). I took two courses on it; some of my favorite foreign language films (Raise the Red Lantern; Farewell My Concubine) cover the subject. My professor in this one, some German dude, wasn't even the most memorable, but it had some of the better course material in my experience -- it really stuck. It's the only anthropology course I took; I think I regret that. Much as I enjoy history, there's something more immediate and story-like about ethnographies.

The course gist was the Chinese spiritual unmooring (and persistence) among the ever-changing 20th century. A wedding in a rural farming village; a village whose ancestral graves ("wild ghosts") were flooded to create a dam, with the spirits needing exorcisms; a group of Confucius' descendants watching the Cultural Revolution destroy their temples and very identity; the repression of the Uyghurs; migrants to Beijing amid the economic reforms of the 90s; and even poor villagers who were left pining for the Mao years.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Spring forward, eh. Balls.

sleepy-cat.gif

We start the day with @Rebels57 on the clock, @BernieParent on deck, Starberry on the lido deck, and my brother on the lido afterdeck. @Asnito should make his two picks as soon as possible if he hopes to avoid being cut to pieces.

That show I am watching, "Love Me Actually," is great, as I said, except for the fact that it buffers like a douchelord in the evening. It's fine during the day - I checked yesterday - but I don't want to watch it during the day. It reminds me of how things used to be with everything I tried to watch before. Member HughesNet? That c***. You can download the episodes, which eliminates the buffering, obviously, and I am going to try doing that.

You know how I said all the girls on that show are unbelievable rockets? Luckily, I had a dream about the rocketest of the rockets last night. Well, it wasn't "about her," per se, but she featured, and that was awesome. In the dream, my parents arranged some kind of big Christmas party at some hall - a big one - and all these people were invited, including several of the girls I have loved in my life. I remember wandering around looking for one of them in particular, but the rocket from the show found me and held my hand as we walked around. Complicated emotions arose - would my old flame see it and give up on me? Would she be jealous? Was I crazy to be worrying about old flames when this rocket was already the "bird in hand," so to speak?

Unfortunately, but typically, the scene devolved into an enormous outdoor festival with thousands of people who were all subtly hostile toward me, even though I wasn't doing anything and was only half drunk. For whatever reason, the one group who welcomed me in was a co-ed rugby club who invited me to join them anytime I felt like it. I think it's probably the most clear sign of underlying brain damage I have had, but I'm not a scientist.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
"The owners of the Tampa Bay FireSticks gave an intense amount of consideration to the category of Team Movie/TV Character because of the overabundance of wonderfully developed characters in myriad stories. Despite our long and sometimes heated discussions, we kept coming back to one character that fit our organization too well to overlook. We are immensely pleased to select Aslan (Chronicles of Narnia movie and TV series).

"Aslan, the King of Beasts, Son of the Emperor-Over-the-Sea, and the King above all High Kings in Narnia, is fierce in battle but gentle in nature and brings healing with his breath.

"He was more terrible than the Flaming Mountain of Lagour, and in beauty he surpassed all that is in the world even as the rose in bloom surpasses the dust of the desert." - Emeth The Last Battle (1956)

"Though a mighty warrior, Aslan let himself be captured and killed by the White Witch, both in obedience to the Deep Magic to save the traitor Edmund and in fulfillment of the deeper magic that even she didn't know.

Dearest @Strawberry Fields. I knew you would not be long in coming to pick. Joy shall be yours. You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve. And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; Be content.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd also like to echo that Mad Men was a great show.

But just as a general comment, regardless of whether someone is the type to like it or not, I don't think one episode is enough to really get a feel for that type of show or decide if you're going to like it or not. The show is all about the characters and in the first episode they're all strangers to the viewer, so it's drastically different from what the show becomes as it goes on.

If someone didn't like the first episode then obviously it might just not be their type of show, but I think a lot of people might grow to like it if they continue on for a few more episodes or even a few seasons. I can't even tell you how many shows I've watched the first episode of, wanted to give up on, but then stubbornly continued forward and I ended up loving the show.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

But just as a general comment, regardless of whether someone is the type to like it or not, I don't think one episode is enough to really get a feel for that type of show or decide if you're going to like it or not. The show is all about the characters and in the first episode they're all strangers to the viewer, so it's drastically different from what the show becomes as it goes on.

If someone didn't like the first episode then obviously it might just not they're type of show, but I think a lot of people might grow to like it if they continue on for a few more episodes or even a few seasons. I can't even tell you how many shows I've watched the first episode of, wanted to give up on, but then stubbornly continued forward and I ended up loving the show.

Mad Men was one of the many shows I hated

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

If someone didn't like the first episode then obviously it might just not they're type of show, but I think a lot of people might grow to like it if they continue on for a few more episodes or even a few seasons. I can't even tell you how many shows I've watched the first episode of, wanted to give up on, but then stubbornly continued forward and I ended up loving the show.
I like some dialogue driven stuff, some of it is wonderful, but I could tell off the bat that I wouldn’t like it, and I had no interest in a show about advertising.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

I loved the show, it was a great period piece and the attention to detail was excellent. And yes, the more you get to know the characters, the better the show gets.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I like some dialogue driven stuff, some of it is wonderful, but I could tell off the bat that I wouldn’t like it, and I had no interest in a show about advertising.
It’s not a show about advertising just like the Sopranos wasn’t really a show about the mob. They were shows about people and how they dealt with their world and their crazy lives. They could have based the show about people who worked in banking or insurance and it would have worked just as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad