NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This is not the movie. This is not the comic book. This is the 2019 HBO tv show Wacthmen.

p17308019_b_h8_ab.jpg

After being as disappointed as I was with the movie adaptation, I didn’t watch this when it first launched. What a fool I was. This isn’t yet another retelling of a story already told perfectly by someone else. This tells you a new story with all of the comics existing in the background as world-building canon. Watchmen is lurid, freewheeling satire at its best. An entire episode is built around a drug called “nostalgia,” which becomes dangerous when you take someone else’s.

As a special present to me, they managed to make it even more clear that Rorschach is not a hero. I’m still trying to figure out how anyone makes that mistake.

@Beef Invictus Inveterate Beef! Wheedling Beef! Coddiwompling Beef!
This was a fantastic show and was on my short list for this phase before I went to Homicide. There was talk of potential future seasons of Watchmen and I'd prefer to keep it as a standalone masterpiece.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thank you @JojoTheWhale! Unbiased Jojo! Vacuous Jojo! Nervous Jojo!

I couldn't believe this guy was available.

Team Actor II: MICHAEL CAINE

2-1964-ipcress-file-GettyImages-874948252-1-scaled.jpg

What a career. In the 60s and 70s, Caine was the living personification of British Cool. I don't want to pick tip, but suffice to say that he is in a ton of stuff. He's also in Blame It on Rio during the horrific Midlife Crisis Stage of his career, but we will forgive him for that gross monstrosity. Despite looking dead in the water after the disastrous 80s, he successfully re-exploded in the 00s. The guy who personified British Cool in his youth personified Old Man Cool in his elder years. I don't want to tip any specific films. There's too many favorites in there.

He is the best Scrooge by far. And he did it while playing a Muppet movie more seriously than a funeral.

@Chuck Downie! Brash Chuck! Chilly Chuck! Tight Chuck!

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is not the movie. This is not the comic book. This is the 2019 HBO tv show Wacthmen.

p17308019_b_h8_ab.jpg

After being as disappointed as I was with the movie adaptation, I didn’t watch this when it first launched. What a fool I was. This isn’t yet another retelling of a story already told perfectly by someone else. This tells you a new story with all of the comics existing in the background as world-building canon. Watchmen is lurid, freewheeling satire at its best. An entire episode is built around a drug called “nostalgia,” which becomes dangerous when you take someone else’s.

As a special present to me, they managed to make it even more clear that Rorschach is not a hero. I’m still trying to figure out how anyone makes that mistake.

@Beef Invictus Inveterate Beef! Wheedling Beef! Coddiwompling Beef!

Great show but I wish they didnt leave us hanging on this guy lol

WatchmenS1E7-gif.gif

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Les Comiques select Team Movie Character II

Pizza The Hutt

1675071695930.gif

1675071736112.jpeg

@mja

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Now we have the worst and most pointless two weeks of the year, despite getting a week off from hockey.

a6d.gif

We start the day with @mja on the clock, @ajgoal on deck, @GKJ on the lido deck, and Young Sando on the lido afterdeck with a wealth of perversions to sift through and pick from.

That game last night was a lot of fun to watch (unlike the early game, which was dull as f*** because the 49ers suck everything there is to suck). I still wish Mahomeslice had been fully healthy, just because it would have been even more fun, but at least they won. People talk about this being the Andy Reid Super Bowl, which is accurate, but it's also the Dick Vermeil Super Bowl, which means that there are guaranteed to be tears, happy or otherwise, amirite? :naughty:

Enjoy your Monday and the beginning of your hockey-free week.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Team Book II:

41dKF2mzdeL.jpg

As I understand it, this book has something of a reputation for being a difficult read, thanks largely in part to the fact that it runs over 1,000 pages, almost a hundred of which are endnotes. It also has the reputation of being something straight white dudes read to make themselves feel intellectually superior to others. On the first count, IJ is not a difficult read. It's long but it's not difficult, and the endnotes are some of the best bits. On the second count, that may indeed be true but it doesn't make the book any less rewarding.

Set in an alternate timeline where there's been a Limbaugh presidency and the current administration is that of a germaphobic Vegas lounge singer, and in which the naming rights to years have been sold to various corporations, IJ follows two groups of characters: precocious drug-addled teenagers at a tennis academy and a collection of damaged recovering addicts in a nearby halfway house. There's also third plot line lurking in the background featuring a group of Quebecois separatists called Les Assasins des Fauteuils Rollents--the Wheelchair Assassins--trying to get their hands on something called The Entertainment, a film so entertaining that it's lethal to the viewer and which is connected to both sets of characters.

The book is hilarious. The use of endnotes, while perhaps initially tedious, actually turns the book into something of a game in which you have to flip back and forth in order to get the full picture. It's also sometimes criticized for the plot not quite resolving but that misses the point. It's like a puzzle in which you are missing a piece but it doesn't matter because the image is unsettlingly abstract. It's also bleakly predictive, foreseeing both a Trumpian presidency and contemporary society's obsessive need to be entertained, even if it destroys us.

@ajgoal

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
This one's for me. Picture a 14 year old Young Sangie chilling in his shared bedroom with his twin brother just hammering this album on repeat until we quite literally would have marathon fist fights with each other over something incredibly stupid like eating that half of bologna sandwich in the fridge. I'm talking 2 hours worth of wrestling and haymakers to the body (face was off limits and a rule we luckily never strayed from). The fights weren't from the music. That was just a natural occurrence of two temper-filled twin brothers sharing a bedroom for our entire lives. The music did add a certain je ne sais quoi that took things to the next level. Had we been throwing hands to Britney Spears or N' Sync instead, the fights would have lost their luster. This was the soundtrack to our lives.

Team Album II - Minor Threat - Complete Discography

@BiggE I had the album version with the red cover, which color did you have?

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Sitting in the ER lobby so I might as well pick. For our 2nd official Methgators book (sadly anything beyond a coloring book is a challenge for our fanbase), I’m gonna go with one that made me consistently laugh out loud while on a flight from Philly to Jacksonville

Team book: the autobiography of the one and only prince of darkness and the namesake of my sweet lil pup, I AM OZZY!
1675121061306.jpeg

@Striiker , I think you’re up. How’s the pup?

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Sitting in the ER lobby so I might as well pick. For our 2nd official Methgators book (sadly anything beyond a coloring book is a challenge for our fanbase), I’m gonna go with one that made me consistently laugh out loud while on a flight from Philly to Jacksonville

Team book: the autobiography of the one and only prince of darkness and the namesake of my sweet lil pup, I AM OZZY!
View attachment 644010

@Striiker , I think you’re up. How’s the pup?
Hope things are going well

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
It me

Wait, did I get skipped? I swear I saw my name in caps post like two days ago
You're good, I'm pretty sure I have it locked down:DD

Skip me, the wife’s mom fell yet again and we’re at the ER. Thank God for the Eagles, other than that 2023 has really sucked so far.

I’ll try to get a pick in later tonight, but don’t hold me to it.
Good luck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad