NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – DDU-DU DDU-DU PHASE TWENTY-TWO!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

8cdfb9a55c935266325e7b5ac6417da3.jpg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Big tilt tonight with pride on the line, as the Jets host the high-flying Provoracists! Orange Power! Orange Power! Orange Power!

706299ebd458aacc371678c290dac2c6.gif

We start the day with me on the clock, @BigToe on deck, @DancingPanther on the lido deck, and @JojoTheWhale on the lido afterdeck. My brother is in the lido drunk tank due to some shit about a bachelor party or something, even though he has already used that excuse before.

I watched the most recent Japanese version of Godzilla last night, "Shin Godzilla" (2016), and it kicked a surprising amount of ass. I'm not a huge fan of giant monster movies in general, and Gojira flicks in particular, even though I used the Gareth Edwards version in my communications class. This one was really interesting, though. It had the classic sounds and camera movements from old Godzilla movies, which was really cool. The initial appearance of the monster even seemed to use design technology from the early 60s - it looked incredibly stupid, but the "real-life" wreckage it caused was very realistic, and that dichotomy created a really interesting dynamic. As Godzilla evolved, the monster himself and all of his tricks looked better and better (but still kind of old-fashioned). The best thing about it was the way it portrayed the older politicians in government and their total ineffectiveness - it reminded me of "Dr. Strangelove" in a way that I can't explain. It is definitely worth a watch.

I am going to make my pick now, so keep your trousers dry.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There is an argument to be made that this is the greatest American novel, full stop - there's a very, very strong argument to be made that it is the greatest American war novel ever written, though my man Kurt certainly did his part.

"Set in Italy during World War II, this is the story of the incomparable, malingering bombardier, Yossarian, a hero who is furious because thousands of people he has never met are trying to kill him. But his real problem is not the enemy—it is his own army, which keeps increasing the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempt to excuse himself from the perilous missions he’s assigned, he’ll be in violation of Catch-22, a hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule: a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but if he makes a formal request to be removed from duty, he is proven sane and therefore ineligible to be relieved."

The perfect encapsulation of the ridiculousness of both war and the bureaucracy of the military, it boasts the richest cast of characters in American literature. There are far too many to name, but when Chief White Halfoat told the story of his family having to move because the government kept finding oil under them, I had to put the book down for 10 minutes because I was cry-laughing too hard to see the words.

Endlessly re-readable and flawless. It's perfect for the Quackverse.

cover.jpg

Team Book II - Catch-22

@BigToe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is an argument to be made that this is the greatest American novel, full stop - there's a very, very strong argument to be made that it is the greatest American war novel ever written, though my man Kurt certainly did his part.

"Set in Italy during World War II, this is the story of the incomparable, malingering bombardier, Yossarian, a hero who is furious because thousands of people he has never met are trying to kill him. But his real problem is not the enemy—it is his own army, which keeps increasing the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempt to excuse himself from the perilous missions he’s assigned, he’ll be in violation of Catch-22, a hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule: a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but if he makes a formal request to be removed from duty, he is proven sane and therefore ineligible to be relieved."

The perfect encapsulation of the ridiculousness of both war and the bureaucracy of the military, it boasts the richest cast of characters in American literature. There are far too many to name, but when Chief White Halfoat told the story of his family having to move because the government kept finding oil under them, I had to put the book down for 10 minutes because I was cry-laughing too hard to see the words.

Endlessly re-readable and flawless. It's perfect for the Quackverse.

cover.jpg

Team Book II - Catch-22

@BigToe

I didn't draft this? How the f*** did I not draft this?

As far as explorations in futility go, this should be required reading for all Flyers fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad