NHL is the only major us sport league that hasn’t played a game in Mexico.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Has the MLB, NBA, NFL played in Australia? MLB, NFL in China? Any major North American league in South America? or Africa ?
Idk about NFL/NBA, but the NHL plays an exhibition every few years in australia and the potential for hockey to grow there is surprisingly good. I was downright shocked to find that most 18-40 aussies I talked to knew the sport well enough to have a conversation about it beyond "oh hockey, ice, thats cool".

Based on what I saw, if Australia were just off the california coast instead of 12 time zones away it would actually make more sense as an expansion target than the inevitable Phoenix 2.0 or Atlanta 3.0 disasters we can all see coming in another 10 years.

By comparison when I brought up hockey with japanese or chinese, the response was usually more like "oh yeah, hockey, whatever".
I’m curious why anyone who doesn’t have a financial stake in the league is so concerned about its expansion into unorthodox markets.

The world is a better place when there are more leagues and more owners at local levels. Whenever people harken back to the good ol days, this is at the root of that world they’re thinking of. I really could not care less about the NHL not creating and owning market share for ice hockey in Zimbabwe.

If there ever is a professional hockey league in Mexico, I hope it somehow gets built from the ground up in that country.
Because the hard work put in by volunteers at all levels of the sport isnt done for the quarterly financial health of the NHL, its done for the love of the sport.

Part of giving back to the sport is expanding the ability of people around the world to discover and play the game, and showcasing top-level talent to people who would otherwise never see it is a big part of that.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Large potential market, geographical proximity, growing the sport?

Like Florida and California?

Come off it, how much can the sport grow? They went to a bunch of Olympics already and how much did that really grow the game? Sure, Mexicans will love the game after 1 game. Give me a break.

Reactions: Maitz

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
To be honest most of the rest of the world would prefer if North America kept it’s parochial little sports (throw & catch ball/throw and hit ball/throw and catch ball with hoopy things) to themselves.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Topical:

I do think a Mexico City exhibition game is inevitable, though. Seems like it'd be tailor made for a neutral Kings/Stars game to me.
Really you are going to trust the onion on this?........

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah, because Mexico is a comparable market to US markets.
With over 125 million people and an economy worth more than $2 trillion, it's probably worth attempting to make at least some inroads to pick up even just a tiny, tiny share of that market.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
With over 125 million people and an economy worth more than $2 trillion, it's probably worth attempting to make at least some inroads to pick up even just a tiny, tiny share of that market.
We don’t need to expand into every market, particularly ones where we will be needing to invest a ton of money just to get a small sliver. What we need to be doing is providing the largest hockey market in the world a second team.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If hockey equipment could ever be made cheaply, a ton of roads down there would be great for kids road hockey. They should be heavily promoting ball hockey down there not ice hockey. Use it as a gateway sport.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
I don't understand what playing an exhibition game in Mexico hurts, besides some really insecure fans. It has nothing to do with a team based in Toronto 2 (over TMLs/Buffalos dead body) or QC (lol) or anything.

Reactions: joelef and Cas

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
In 2025 nascar , nba , mlb and possibly the nfl will all play regular season games in mexico next year. Considering the future demographics trends of America and the biggest market for North American sports outside of an and a why hasn’t the nhl played at least an exhibition down there? Why is the nhl so behind on this type of stuff?
Is there even a hockey rink in Mexico?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Is there even a hockey rink in Mexico?
Mexico's men's national team is ranked #42 by the IIHF, out of 58. Their women's national team is ranked #25, two spots ahead of Latvia (which I think most people would consider a "real" hockey country, if a small one). I'm going to assume there's more than one hockey rink in Mexico.

Seems like there's a whole lot of rather ignorant dismissal of Mexico as having any relevance whatsoever to ice hockey. Whether the NHL should schedule any games (whether regular season, pre-season, exhibition, whatever) in Mexico or not, maybe people should at least rationally consider the idea, even if ultimately to reject it, rather than simply crack ignorant and moronic jokes about it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am getting deja vu with this thread. WE get it every few years. MLB, NBA and the NFL are very popular in Mexico at the grass roots. NHL? Not so much. With threads like this, it cause me to think that we need to think about having games in places like Madagascar, The congo and Ghana

• Haha
Reactions: Kevinsane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad