NHL is the only major us sport league that hasn’t played a game in Mexico.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Mexico's men's national team is ranked #42 by the IIHF, out of 58. Their women's national team is ranked #25, two spots ahead of Latvia (which I think most people would consider a "real" hockey country, if a small one). I'm going to assume there's more than one hockey rink in Mexico.

Seems like there's a whole lot of rather ignorant dismissal of Mexico as having any relevance whatsoever to ice hockey. Whether the NHL should schedule any games (whether regular season, pre-season, exhibition, whatever) in Mexico or not, maybe people should at least rationally consider the idea, even if ultimately to reject it, rather than simply crack ignorant and moronic jokes about it.

And Thailand is 51 and they do not have an arena but they always ice a team. This goes back to the memory of the old king, he liked Ice Hockey so they took the game up. They have two ice surfaces that are in Malls like west Edmonton Mall

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Mexico's men's national team is ranked #42 by the IIHF, out of 58. Their women's national team is ranked #25, two spots ahead of Latvia (which I think most people would consider a "real" hockey country, if a small one). I'm going to assume there's more than one hockey rink in Mexico.

Seems like there's a whole lot of rather ignorant dismissal of Mexico as having any relevance whatsoever to ice hockey. Whether the NHL should schedule any games (whether regular season, pre-season, exhibition, whatever) in Mexico or not, maybe people should at least rationally consider the idea, even if ultimately to reject it, rather than simply crack ignorant and moronic jokes about it.
No need to be snarky, it was a legitimate question from someone who spends 2-4 weeks in Mexico every year. I've never seen one, I've never heard any of the locals talk about one or even refer to anything hockey related. Even when I've had my own NHL stuff on while there. Good for them for trying to get it going there.

SpinoramaGeno

Aug 29, 2024
Reckon the capacity of the arena is the hold up, and the NHL isnt gonna pay for a single game arena. Hopefully in the future we get a game in Mexico though, would be sick!! Plus the mexican people love fighting.

google below

Based on the provided search results, the largest hockey rink in Mexico is the Monterrey Ice Complex, located in Monterrey, Nuevo León. It features an NHL-size ice sheet measuring 61 meters (200 feet) long and 26 meters (85 feet) wide, with a seating capacity for nearly 800 spectators. The complex complies with International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) regulatory measures, making it an ideal venue for various tournaments, including world championships.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Crazy idea but maybe they want to wait for Houston to be in the league. Instead of having whatever team is willing to face the Stars, you get Dallas vs Houston in Mexico. Create a bigger happening and marketing push in the region.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad