NHL is the only major us sport league that hasn’t played a game in Mexico.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
There are 1300+ NHL regular season games each year. Seems to me the NHL could spare one of them for Mexico. It's not some huge downside.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

One of the random tidbits that I learned in recent years was that the 1994 Pacific Cup (now known as the Hlinka Gretzky) was hosted by Mexico City. It was amusing rewatching the 1995 Draft and the commentators would describe a prospect like "he had a tough season but looked really good in Mexico" without a trace of sarcasm. If anybody ever runs into Jarome Iginla, ask him if he has any memories of that tournament.

Back when Scott Gomez was in his rookie year, I remember reading how he met with NHL marketing and they were disappointed to learn that he didn't speak Spanish. Gomez's joke was that he barely passed English in high school.

I suppose Mexico wouldn't be high on my priority list, but I understand that part of it is trying to find new revenue sources. NFL has a Week 1 regular season game in Brazil and I'm not expecting an impending expansion announcement.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
There’s not much crossover appeal since it’s not a winter country

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I have done literally zero research, but might the lack of adequate facilities be a factor? Can't imagine there are too many large arenas capable of housing an ice rink.

You're right. I like in Mexico full time now and I don't know of a single rink, let alone one suitable for an NHL game.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In 2025 nascar , nba , mlb and possibly the nfl will all play regular season games in mexico next year. Considering the future demographics trends of America and the biggest market for North American sports outside of an and a why hasn’t the nhl played at least an exhibition down there? Why is the nhl so behind on this type of stuff?
So none of the those leagues have played a game yet, until a year from now. Yet this an issue.
Why haven’t those leagues played in Sweden yet.

Reactions: joestevens29

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I think Mexican folks would appreciate the gesture. It might also spark some interest in stateside Mexican-Americans to begin following the sport. It would likely sell out and be a nice event. I think they should focus on it being a really good one-off, like an outdoor game

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think Mexican folks would appreciate the gesture. It might also spark some interest in stateside Mexican-Americans to begin following the sport. It would likely sell out and be a nice event. I think they should focus on it being a really good one-off, like an outdoor game
It would be cool no doubt

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Has the MLB, NBA, NFL played in Australia? MLB, NFL in China? Any major North American league in South America? or Africa ?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
In 2025 nascar , nba , mlb and possibly the nfl will all play regular season games in mexico next year. Considering the future demographics trends of America and the biggest market for North American sports outside of an and a why hasn’t the nhl played at least an exhibition down there? Why is the nhl so behind on this type of stuff?
NASCAR doesn't play games in Mexico..... races aren't games...... and yes, NASCAR HAS Raced in both Canada and Mexico previously.... NASCAR isn't one national series, it's three..... has been since the mid 1990s when the Frances/ISC created the Craftsman Truck Series..... which has raced at CTMP in Ontario, NEVERMIND, the F1 Track in Montreal, where the current damp weather package was originated

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I think an exhibition game involving the Kings and Vegas would be a hit in a one-off. But I expect the Nordiques to return before there's talk of team in Mexico City.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I used to play in a mens league in Brazil. you'd be surprised how many ice rinks there are but most are poorly maintained with sections of boards missing, poor quality ice or support beams in the middle of the ice.

I'm guessing Mexico City is similar but the NHL would probably set up a temporary rink at one of their big stadiums.

Reactions: brentashton

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe cause it is the only one played on ice??? Also, why does the NHL care about playing in Mexico? Are they a hockey hotbed or something?

It's just about planting seeds. Mexico is closest in proximity to the league, so it is convenient from that perspective. It will inevitably happen at some point.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m curious why anyone who doesn’t have a financial stake in the league is so concerned about its expansion into unorthodox markets.

The world is a better place when there are more leagues and more owners at local levels. Whenever people harken back to the good ol days, this is at the root of that world they’re thinking of. I really could not care less about the NHL not creating and owning market share for ice hockey in Zimbabwe.

If there ever is a professional hockey league in Mexico, I hope it somehow gets built from the ground up in that country.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Do you guys know that hockey is played on ice?
What’s ice Amigo?! 😂😂

Seriously though…

• Love
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Let's do a midsummer outdoor game!

WildWingz68JAGR

Mar 13, 2021
Ridin pine
When I was playing Pee-Wee hockey decades ago, a team from Mexico came over to play a few games in the Ottawa/Gatineau (at the time Hull) area. I don’t remember why but my team didn’t end up playing against them but one thing I remember is that none of them had neck guards when they got here and since it was mandatory for us, the local teams ended up pitching in to make sure they all got some.

From what I remember, most people were impressed because they weren’t getting blown out and were actually decent.
Norm?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad