GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
His full cap hit counts to start the season though right? That's the part that matters in getting under the cap.

And if it's prorated minus the first month, I think that's only about $1M less at the end of the season.
No, he’s suspended so his cap hit doesn’t count.

When he rejoins, his cap hit will be prorated based on how many days of the season he’s missed. Give or take, 15-20%

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No, he won't count against the cap while suspended.

You are correct, it will be a bit over 1M less. But somewhere your math is off. I have a 22 man roster with Val at 5M right at 89M. So, about a million to trim or so. Obviously, there are a few other things at work with that, like someone has to fill in for Val the 1st month.

Well that's good to know. That gives them some other options. Maybe they trade him right when he becomes eligible to return?

This was the math I was going off with Val counting toward the cap on a 22 man roster (without Val an option as one of the 22). $2,958,750 over.

Avs-24-25-22-Man-Roster.png

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Well that's good to know. That gives them some other options. Maybe they trade him right when he becomes eligible to return?

This was the math I was going off with Val counting toward the cap on a 22 man roster (without Val an option as one of the 22). $2,958,750 over.

Avs-24-25-22-Man-Roster.png
Yeah, I was mentioning a 22 man roster. You have 23 there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Are you pro-rating Val down to 5M?

I figured that was what you were doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't the pro rated part an end of year calculation? Doesn't his full cap hit count for the daily calculations when he comes back?

"A team’s cap hit is calculated based on each day of the season (186 days). For every day a player is on the roster, the team’s cap hit is their full year cap hit divided by 186. Once a player is on the roster, the calculations assume they will be on the roster for the remainder of year."

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I figured that was what you were doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't the pro rated part an end of year calculation? Doesn't his full cap hit count for the daily calculations when he comes back?

"A team’s cap hit is calculated based on each day of the season (186 days). For every day a player is on the roster, the team’s cap hit is their full year cap hit divided by 186. Once a player is on the roster, the calculations assume they will be on the roster for the remainder of year."

Right below that is an example that explains it.

"Example: If a player with a $925K cap hit gets called up 86 days into the season (100 days remaining), on that day the team’s projected cap hit for the year goes up $497,312 ($925K/186)*100."

Reactions: Foppa2118

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

"Example: If a player with a $925K cap hit gets called up 86 days into the season (100 days remaining), on that day the team’s projected cap hit for the year goes up $497,312 ($925K/186)*100."
Technically, each day is calculated on its own and tallied up. But in effect this is accurate. Nuke will only count on the days he’s active.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That's interesting and further beneficial to the Avs cap.

Weird though considering when an LTIR player comes back, his full cap hit counts. That's why they have to sit out the entire season to get the benefit.

Perhaps the difference is because their cap hit counted while they were out too, they just got to go over the cap with the LTIR benefit? Weird to calculate it differently than the assistance program though. Should be the same IMO, whichever way they decide to do it.

Also I think when a team signs a player to a one year contract after the season has started, their cap hit is actually larger than the AAV. CBA is kind of nonsensical at times.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
HOWWWWWWWWWWWW does Lybushkin keep getting big money?

I actually can't wait to play Dallas in the playoffs next year omg lol
It's so strange to me that they bought out Suter and only got slightly better with that Lybushkin signing. Awful stuff, they got even worse with them signing Dumba, Lundqvist, and Smith on top of that lol.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Vegas IMO misses the playoffs next season.

The Central will be a battle between Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg, and Nashville again.

Pacific is Edmonton's followed by Vancouver and LA.

Utah may get a WC spot as I think 5 from the Central make it.

All that said, our main competition is IMO Edmonton:

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - RNH - Brown
McLeod - Ryan - Perry

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Broberg

Only things working against them are age and that D core
They lost the Cup based on defence and still didn't do anything to upgrade the defence lol. They're frauds, I will be surprised if they make the Finals again except if they have a bracket as easy as the one they had this year. The only way they pushed Florida to Game 7 was due to the Panthers going through the gauntlet and letting their foot off the gas pedal. But they will win a lot of games 6-5 in the regular season though and will destroy the Pacific division yet again.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, I thought they may go this route but with Caleb. Maybe they do with MacDonald now.

Would mean Kiviranta or Kelly have to pass through waivers to start in the AHL though.

They'll still need to clear about $2.2M too with a 21 man roster, and I'm not sure it makes much practical difference between that and $3M. Girard and Manson still seem like the only options.

I think moving Wood is unlikely after signing him to six years, but when you factor in replacing him with a league min $775k guy, I don't think his $2.5M wouldn't clear enough anyway. Especially when teams like to leave a little cushion for callups.

Maybe there's something else I'm overlooking, but now that we know what the roster mostly will look like, the only options I see to get under the cap are starting the year with Gabe on LTIR, or trading one of Girard/Manson.
Kovalenko is waiver exempt so he may be the guy sent down instead of Kelly. That would only need to happen in November when Nichushkin returns though so there's a month for Kovalenko to earn a job before having to make a decision on whether to send him down or waive someone else like Kelly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They lost the Cup based on defence and still didn't do anything to upgrade the defence lol. They're frauds, I will be surprised if they make the Finals again except if they have a bracket as easy as the one they had this year. The only way they pushed Florida to Game 7 was due to the Panthers going through the gauntlet and letting their foot off the gas pedal. But they will win a lot of games 6-5 in the regular season though and will destroy the Pacific division yet again.
What gauntlet did Florida have to go through? Tampa was no gauntlet and Boston, we knew they were frauds from last season.

Edmonton lost in the SCF because they couldn't score goals in games 1-3 and game 7. So they naturally went out and added more scoring depth.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
@henchman21 Will the Avs be able to accrue capspace for the deadline whilst Nichushkin is out until November (assuming Landeskog is off LTIR to start the year)? Or does Nichushkin effectively block accrual like any typical LTIR situation?

With Nichushkin off the roster the Avs will have ~$3m unused cap when running a 22 man roster which would accrue quite a lot. But I guess most likely he does count as LTIR so that idea would be moot.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wonder if Skinner had an impact on the number Drouin signed at. Surely the Avs were aware that Skinner was willing to sign in the west if he ended up in Edmonton, and so if he was willing to take a $3m X 1 year deal it would have been an easy comparable for CMac to use with Allan Walsh. "If Drouin wants more than $2.5m we'll just sign Skinner instead" basically

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
As it stands, our opening night roster is looking like

Drouin-MacK-Rants
Landy/Lehky-Mitts-LOC
Wood-Colton-Kivi
Kelly-Wagner-Kovalenko

Toews-Makar
G-Manson
Rosen-De Haan
MacD

4giev
Fatty

Yikes. Brutal
If you take two top 6 forwards out of any roster the lineup will look not so good. With Nichushkin and Landeskog in you suddenly have Lehkonen on your third line which is really strong depth.

Pretty sure Cmac isn't done yet too. They still need to massage the cap a bit and add a 4C and ideally also another Dman and 3G.

Also worth keeping in mind that the roster will look a bit different at the TDL too.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad