GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rantanen is a superstar. He is over 100 point per season player. No one trades them these days. We might need to trade Coltz or Sammy and resign Rants.

If they don't plan on starting the season with Gabe on LTIR, I think they may need to trade Girard or Manson.

That's why I think him starting on LTIR could be their plan. Buys them some time to figure things out.

If they plan on having a 22 man roster with a healthy scratched forward and defenseman (not including Val) they need to shed $3M somehow. $2M if they gamble on a 21 man roster.

Colton's NTC kicked in. Lehky seems unlikely because on top of being a huge loss, he's insurance for Val/Landy's two way/net front role. They just signed Wood for 6 years and he doesn't clear enough anyway with his replacement. Mikko's a possibility, but seems unlikely for the reasons you mentioned, unless they pull off a Brady Tkachuk trade.

That leaves Girard and Manson. Manson may be harder to replace because they don't have anyone like him, but they do have some puck movers, and added some more in UFA, in addition to Behrens and Malinski.

If they don't start with Gabe on LTIR, I could see them maybe trading Girard for a buy low $2M defenseman looking to establish himself, to get under the cap.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Rantanen is a superstar. He is over 100 point per season player. No one trades them these days.
WtJyXzZ.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If they don't plan on starting the season with Gabe on LTIR, I think they may need to trade Girard or Manson.

That's why I think him starting on LTIR could be their plan. Buys them some time to figure things out.

If they plan on having a 22 man roster with a healthy scratched forward and defenseman (not including Val) they need to shed $3M somehow. $2M if they gamble on a 21 man roster.

Colton's NTC kicked in. Lehky seems unlikely because on top of being a huge loss, he's insurance for Val/Landy's two way/net front role. They just signed Wood for 6 years and he doesn't clear enough anyway with his replacement. Mikko's a possibility, but seems unlikely for the reasons you mentioned, unless they pull off a Brady Tkachuk trade.

That leaves Girard and Manson. Manson may be harder to replace because they don't have anyone like him, but they do have some puck movers, and added some more in UFA, in addition to Behrens and Malinski.

If they don't start with Gabe on LTIR, I could see them maybe trading Girard for a buy low $2M defenseman looking to establish himself, to get under the cap.
Signing MacDonald gives them the option of rolling a 21 man roster most of the time since he can play forward and defense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Call the Ducks up and see if they’re interested in taking some NHL quality players into all that cap space they have.

Then offer them Val.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Signing MacDonald gives them the option of rolling a 21 man roster most of the time since he can play forward and defense.

Yeah, I thought they may go this route but with Caleb. Maybe they do with MacDonald now.

Would mean Kiviranta or Kelly have to pass through waivers to start in the AHL though.

They'll still need to clear about $2.2M too with a 21 man roster, and I'm not sure it makes much practical difference between that and $3M. Girard and Manson still seem like the only options.

I think moving Wood is unlikely after signing him to six years, but when you factor in replacing him with a league min $775k guy, I don't think his $2.5M wouldn't clear enough anyway. Especially when teams like to leave a little cushion for callups.

Maybe there's something else I'm overlooking, but now that we know what the roster mostly will look like, the only options I see to get under the cap are starting the year with Gabe on LTIR, or trading one of Girard/Manson.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Dumping Wood on a team just sounds like the best option at this best to get some flexibility. Giving him 6 years and not getting that cap hit lower was so dumb.

Reactions: Avs_19

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I thought they may go this route but with Caleb. Maybe they do with MacDonald now.

They'll still need to clear almost $2M though and I'm not sure it makes much practical difference between $2M and $3M. Girard and Manson still seem like the only options.

I think moving Wood is unlikely after signing him to six years, but when you factor in replacing him with a league min $775k guy, I don't think his $2.5M wouldn't clear enough anyway. Especially when teams like to leave a little cushion for callups.

Maybe there's something else I'm overlooking, but now that we know what the roster mostly will look like, the only options I see to get under the cap are starting the year with Gabe on LTIR, or trading one of Girard/Manson.
You are overlooking that Nuke wont fully count against the cap next year. It's closer to about a million that will need to be cleared to ice a 22 man roster.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You are overlooking that Nuke wont fully count against the cap next year. It's closer to about a million that will need to be cleared to ice a 22 man roster.

Perhaps I am, I haven't heard that. Why would he cost $2M less to start the season? I thought his full contract was on the books?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
This makes no sense. The Oilers HAVE to trade someone now making decent money. Broberg and Holloway are still RFAs and they have zero cap space.

They're likely going to give one of Kane or Ceci away for nothing.

Unless they are trading Leon away for picks and prospects :sarcasm:

But Kane has a NMC, and they'll have to add a sweetner to get rid of Ceci

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
JFC Wood has a 6-team no trade list, Girard has a 9-team, Mikko has a 9-team and Colton has a 6, 9 or 12-team one, I can't find the details there. Val's 12-team list kicks in next June

Trading any of these guys is gonna be a bit of pain in the dick. Who's the moron that keeps handing out these NMCs/NTCs?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Won't be 2 million less, but his contracted will be pro rated from when he's eligible to play again.

His full cap hit counts to start the season though right? That's the part that matters in getting under the cap.

And if it's prorated minus the first month, I think that's only about $1M less at the end of the season.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
His full cap hit counts to start the season though right? That's the part that matters in getting under the cap.

And if it's prorated minus the first month, I think that's only about $1M less at the end of the season.
I don't think it does. He doesn't count towards the cap at all while he's suspended. When he gets re-instated his pro rated amount will count and the Avs will need to be cap compliant then.

Yes I think it's just over 1 million in savings if he gets re-instated mid November.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

And if it's prorated minus there first month, I think that's only about $1M less at the end of the season.
No, he won't count against the cap while suspended.

You are correct, it will be a bit over 1M less. But somewhere your math is off. I have a 22 man roster with Val at 5M right at 89M. So, about a million to trim or so. Obviously, there are a few other things at work with that, like someone has to fill in for Val the 1st month.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad