Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson asks for trade

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hmm, seems a lot more like you were trying to make a different point 🤔

With the understanding that a valid option isn’t necessarily a smart decision, yes it’s a valid option.

It’s not a smart decision unless you’re a legit contender, which we are not. Throwing away assets isn’t smart. Lou has done it. Kyle did it. Tre did it last year. All wasted assets.

Leafs are filthy rich. They know how to spend. Spending is MLSE DNA. Half this board has been going on about being more conservative in UFA and trading expiring assets. The organization is simply not capable or operating efficiently and unfortunately the most efficient teams cap wise and asset wise usually win.

Reactions: CincoHolio

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Agreed he was the best player in camp two years ago and they gave the spot to Malgin , tie always goes to your own draft pick not a guy you traded for.
And Malgin already failed here once prior. I'd be pissed too, get he wasn't waiver eligible, but it gets old. Then this year, Keefe plays him so sparingly and every error is a scratch.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There's basically 0 value coming back in a Nick Robertson trade right now, so it's pointless to trade him.

Think you give him a firm handshake on a 1 or 2 year prove it deal, with the understanding that he's going to start the year in an elevated position in the lineup, and see if he can cut it. His production in limited minutes has been good, so you can totally understand his desire for more ice time, so make him prove it.

Either his value goes up and you have a tradeable asset worth at least something, or it doesn't, and he basically washes his career away.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm sorry Nick. I think the Leafs have given you nothing but support, opportunities, and patience.

I can't think of a player in the history of this franchise who's acted more like a petulant kid then Mr. Nick Robertson.

He thinks he'll get opportunities elsewhere, but he'll get less.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So walking away from someone is a valid option, I am just checking.

Using someone as your own rental is a valid option or not?

It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.

NMC until free agency.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.
It isn't up to the team.

NMC until free agency.

It was before the NMC kicked in.

Something is better than nothing in the argument, so get a deal done and get something.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I was rooting for him, but if he doesn’t want to be here then why would we want that mentality on the team. He was acting like this last offseason too if I recall? I’d rather move him at this point and focus our efforts on the hungry kids like Cowan and Minten.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Leafs are filthy rich. They know how to spend. Spending is MLSE DNA. Half this board has been going on about being more conservative in UFA and trading expiring assets. The organization is simply not capable or operating efficiently and unfortunately the most efficient teams cap wise and asset wise usually win.
Unfortunately, this organization, going back decades now has been all bluster. Blue and White disease has not been limited to the players on the ice only.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The 35 goals we're losing from Bertuzzi and Robertson is not going to magically replace it self. We need this player or an equivalent replacement in a deal.

It's going to be difficult to replace his expected 20 goals for under 2 million.

If we look at Yegor Chinakhov as a comparable for Robertson then he probably deserves about 2 million per year on a 2 year bridge deal, which seems to work right now on the cap.

The cap shows we have 2 m available for Robertson. Hope they get a deal done.

View attachment 891223
Robertson sitting out means signing a contract to play in Europe. If given a choice between the leafs or a Swiss league team I bet he signs with the leafs.

He has minimal trade value but also zero leverage, and the Leafs need cheap scoring.

Literally tell him you're playing here or you're sitting out the whole year, you absolutely cannot let this guy dictate what you do here like they've let every other young guy do previously.
He can play in Europe but he won’t get paid.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I would start the season with him and Domi with Matthews. See if he gets off to a hot start - and then trade at a high level.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's my question...

What are you genuinely hoping to achieve with Nick Robertson?

You're not going to put him out there on a line with Mitch Marner on the other side.

You're not going to put him out there on a line with William Nylander on the other side.

So what's the realistic hope for him? 3rd line contributions with some combination of Pontus Holmberg, Bobby McMann, and Max Domi? 15 goals -- MAYBE 20.

Surely, there's gotta be a team out there that looks at Robertson and thinks to themselves, this guy is going to help my PP, and he's going to pot 25+ for me.... and that team would presumably part with something that's going to help you more than Nick Robertson does.... like a centre, or a bigger winger.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm sorry Nick. I think the Leafs have given you nothing but support, opportunities, and patience.

I can't think of a player in the history of this franchise who's acted more like a petulant kid then Mr. Nick Robertson.
Can you name me like 3 things Robertson has done to earn the "petulant kid" tag?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Can you name me like 3 things Robertson has done to earn the "petulant kid" tag?
He honks his horn when a Senior Citizen takes a long time turning left at an intersection.
He went to both Dubas and Treliving when he couldn't get 16, 88, or 34 on his jersey.
He chews gum and blows bubbles in the team video review room.
also
Pouting.

What kind of question is this? Do you think I am part of the organization and have a working relationship with Robertson?

I know my reaction to Robertson is strong, but this is not his first time. He did this last season. How else am I supposed to react as a fan?

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He honks his horn when a Senior Citizen takes a long time turning left at an intersection.
He went to both Dubas and Treliving when he couldn't get 16, 88, or 34 on his jersey.
He chews gum and blows bubbles in the team video review room.
also
Pouting.

What kind of question is this? Do you think I am part of the organization and have a working relationship with Robertson?
Nope, just someone who I'd expect to be able to explain why Robertson is the "most petulant kid in the history of this franchise".

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Nope, just someone who I'd expect to be able to explain why Robertson is the "most petulant kid in the history of this franchise".
You have lofty expectations of me my friend. I can't always logitimize my emotions.

I can't help it. I don't like the timing and the frequency.

Toronto didn't sign Bertuzzi, so this could have been his time.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Great read in the star today by Arthur and Feschuk. 5 part series on the ineptitude of the 3 major sports teams in Toronto. Seems no punches have been pulled. A good read - one that should reach ownership levels and hopefully, but unlikely, shame them.

THE BEATEN PATH

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Great read in the star today by Arthur and Feschuk. 5 part series on the ineptitude of the 3 major sports teams in Toronto. Seems no punches have been pulled. A good read - one that should reach ownership levels and hopefully, but unlikely, shame them.

THE BEATEN PATH
The Argos at least were favourites to win last year until Kelly had his worst game since he was sentenced to Scooba. Leafs and Jays go into camp with no chance of winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad