GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If you haven’t noticed the major change since CMac took over, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Ever since CMac took over, the Avs have just gotten worse. It’s not all his fault, but he’s the common denominator in all of it.
We have gotten worse, because our value contracts are gone and players are getting paid what they deserve. And also, we have lost the best captain in the league for over two years.

Yeah, no shit we have gotten worse. 2022 MacKinnon, Kadri and Nuke cost 13.3M against the cap. This year, MacKinnon, Mittelstadt and Nuke will cost the Avs 24.5M

Yeah, we have less to spend in the rest of the roster, and that has nothing to do with Sakic or CMac.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A cost controlled RD was traded for a 4th round pick yesterday
As were looking for a 4/5 not a 6/7.

I disagree with the notion that a #3C is more important than a top-6 winger, or that the latter are more easily and cheaply available at the deadline. But let's not get into that, we sort of did like a month ago in one of the threads already.

The issue is, that we could have a real disaster with the top-6 wingers come start of the season. We could basically have

Wood - MacK - Rantanen
LOC - Mitts - Kovalenko

As our top-6, if all goes to shit. Drouin would absolutely be needed. Frankly even if Lehky is fine, Drouin would still be needed if Landy isn't top-6 caliber.

So in our situation, we absolutely need the top-6 winger more than #3C.

The evidence is clearly there on the wingers... it isn't even like Drouin cost a lot last season. Plenty of good wingers move on the cheap. First liners can be expensive, but 2nd liners aren't. Bad 3Cs like Eller cost the same if not less than 2nd line wingers.

IMO the start of the season isn't terribly important. The Avs should be good enough to make the playoffs that if they have to limp for a month or two, they should be fine. I'm more concerned how the Avs look in March.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Is that like a mega pint?
johnny-depp-a-mega-pint.gif

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
We have gotten worse, because our value contracts are gone and players are getting paid what they deserve. And also, we have lost the best captain in the league for over two years.

Yeah, no shit we have gotten worse. 2022 MacKinnon, Kadri and Nuke cost 13.3M against the cap. This year, MacKinnon, Mittelstadt and Nuke will cost the Avs 24.5M

Yeah, we have less to spend in the rest of the roster, and that has nothing to do with Sakic or CMac.
I’ve heard CMac being described as the guy who “forgot to bring his wallet” during trade discussions.

He’s super cheap and super uncharismatic, which is a horrible combination for a GM.

We went from a guy who’s very respected and one of the best to ever do it in his field to a guy that’s been stuffed into a locker for most of his life.

Everyone knows that Sakic delegates, so I honestly think that it’s all on CMac.

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
It doesn't really matter what you think, when the people close to the Avs have described how they work together. And nothing really changed that much when both got their bump.
Nobody knows what actually goes on inside the Avs organization, besides like 3 people.

Most of the stuff that the local and national media report about the Avs doesn’t actually come from the Avs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I suppose if he's just a third pairing guy, then Brenden Dillon's an okay add, but really that guy's been more or less washed since his Dallas days, and that was a long time ago. The Avs absolutely smoked his ass in this year's playoffs.

Fitzy reeeeeeaally wants his team to get tougher, but he'd better be careful or his team will end up like the Sabres did post-Drury/Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad