GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
What I love about it the most is that there are certain Canadian people I follow on twitter who are screaming about the tax advantage for Reinhart with that deal. Yet crickets when you point it out that Guentzel didn't basically take any discount going to Tampa.

Gee, I wonder why a player who just won the Stanley Cup would be eager to stay in the winning team for a friendly deal? Especially when it's a nice place like Florida to begin with?

Noooo, got to be the taxes...
I think it would be obtuse to discredit the tax advantage, people hate hearing about it but it’s tough to ignore. Teams are even openly discussing it as a way they hope to achieve discounts with free agents to the media.

Of the five tax advantaged teams, they have been responsible for 7 of the last 10 cup finalists, with multiple other top 4 finishes among them.

Add to that, all five teams have made at least one cup final since 2017, with three of the teams making multiple of them. That is a lot of data suggesting that the advantage is legitimate.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
The Val situation just flat out sucks because there is no relief from that cap hit aside from it not counting during suspension. Landy is and can remain LTIR depending. And if he is done (and I hope that isn't the case) then the Avs will be active on the trade market later in the season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I think it would be obtuse to discredit the tax advantage, people hate hearing about it but it’s tough to ignore. Teams are even openly discussing it as a way they hope to achieve discounts with free agents to the media.

Of the five tax advantaged teams, they have been responsible for 7 of the last 10 cup finalists, with multiple other top 4 finishes among them.

Add to that, all five teams have made at least one cup final since 2017, with three of the teams making multiple of them. That is a lot of data suggesting that the advantage is legitimate.
What the data tells you, is that those team have had competent management, aggressive GMs, combined with great drafting.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
It goes beyond drafting. That's a big part, but decision making has been lacking for quite some time. When you are picking players like Colton over Drouin you have to question what is going through their minds. Drouin is simply a better hockey player than Colton. And I don't want this guff of it's hard to move money BS, it's not we just don't do it.
It's not just about moving Colton for money, it's about finding a replacement at a low enough caphit. Who would you be acquiring/signing to play 3C at <$1.5m?

Also note that a Colton trade can still happen, it's just that it would need to be to a team that Colton approves. Obviously a much harder trade today than yesterday for that reason, but not impossible.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What I love about it the most is that there are certain Canadian people I follow on twitter who are screaming about the tax advantage for Reinhart with that deal. Yet crickets when you point it out that Guentzel didn't basically take any discount going to Tampa.

Gee, I wonder why a player who just won the Stanley Cup would be eager to stay in the winning team for a friendly deal? Especially when it's a nice place like Florida to begin with?

Noooo, got to be the taxes...

They love riling up the guys that never left their hometown and can't imagine there's more to life than "going home."

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Is it an advantage? Sure. But it’s been an advantage for well over 20 years and the Preds, Panthers, and Lightning for some time were all just awful teams. I’d say that the fact that the fact that these teams are actually good now has way more reasoning for attracting players than anything.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's not just about moving Colton for money, it's about finding a replacement at a low enough caphit. Who would you be acquiring/signing to play 3C at <$1.5m?

Also note that a Colton trade can still happen, it's just that it would need to be to a team that Colton approves. Obviously a much harder trade today than yesterday for that reason, but not impossible.
While yes this is also the issue. This is where bad drafting kills, but if I were the Avs I'd just go with ELC Ritchie.

When you are cap crunched you have to put some faith in ELCs. Take a chance and if it doesn't work you can go the deadline route and find someone passable at the deadline.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
While yes this is also the issue. This is where bad drafting kills, but if I were the Avs I'd just go with ELC Ritchie.

When you are cap crunched you have to put some faith in ELCs. Take a chance and if it doesn't work you can go the deadline route and find someone passable at the deadline.

!!!

Yeah, everybody wants an ELC to take on that role of 40 point 3C, but... we don't have one.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Val situation just flat out sucks because there is no relief from that cap hit aside from it not counting during suspension. Landy is and can remain LTIR depending. And if he is done (and I hope that isn't the case) then the Avs will be active on the trade market later in the season.
CMac will just have to find a way to turn that situation into an advantage somehow.

For instance, whilst the Landeskog/Nichushkin/Lehkonen situations aren't ideal, it does present an opportunity to sell prospective free agent forwards on the idea of having plenty of ice-time in the Avs top 6 this season, most certainly until November.

Any reclamation project guy will see that there's a couple of big holes in the top 6 to start the year, so they'd have a great chance of making an impact and earning a big payday next year.

Skinner, Arvidsson, and Robertson are some names that come to mind. Maybe even guys like Kubalik, Beauvillier, and Olofsson too.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Again....

Callum Ritchie does not play the type of heavy/physical game that Bednar wants out of his bottom 6.

So it's not even an "if it doesn't work..." it's WHEN it doesn't work, you'll be posting every day about how the team sucks, CMac sucks, and you'll probably toss in a "And Landeskog is the worst Captain ever" just to make sure you play all the hits.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not even a whisper about us..
There won't be anything. We won't do much, you got 14M in handcuffs, and we are going watch Drouin walk on a 3x3.5ish deal and the board will melt down and rightfully so.

I really hope Landy can play day 1 at semi passable level. If he can't play day 1, not really sure what they are going to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad