NHL Expansion back on agenda?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I only know what I saw in an interview with his sons, who are hockey enthusiasts. I think there is a change in thinking with expansion. The NHL carefully chose markets that weren't directly competing with the NBA, going back to Nashville and Columbus. Vegas and Seattle were slam dunks, being the primary winter sport team.

Now it's looking at market size, the NHL just lost a top 10 U.S market, after relocating another one to the league's smallest market, north of the border. I think Bettman and the owners want to make a move that in appearance puts the NHL back in the big leagues, still ahead of MLS, behind NBA but not by as big of a margin. I think it's PR, to keep growing value in the NHL brand. You know both markets will be guaranteed All Star games within the first 5 years. Probably have a battle of Texas outdoor game. I don't know if the next round of expansion is good for the game, but it is good for business.

Arizona was a top market, but it doesn’t do you any good if they’re not a draw. They have examples now that you can have them he a draw when they’re good right away or just new and shiny, and those successes are big reasons why so many are interested.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I can't believe Atlanta is getting a third shot. Well, maybe it was just Atlanta Spirit that sucked brutally as owners. But my prediction for Thrashers 2.0 is one of two things, one being either rigged to success so they attract more fans. Two, it's a contract graveyard where the contracts of Darnell Nurse, PLD and Seth Jones end up (Well, Jones I see going to Houston via the expansion draft).

But Houston getting the Aeros back would be nice to see. I think it'll be popular because of low taxes.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Arizona was a top market, but it doesn’t do you any good if they’re not a draw. They have examples now that you can have them he a draw when they’re good right away or just new and shiny, and those successes are big reasons why so many are interested.

Arizona was a top market that was a victim of mismanagement (by both the league and various ownerships) from day one.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I can't believe Atlanta is getting a third shot. Well, maybe it was just Atlanta Spirit that sucked brutally as owners. But my prediction for Thrashers 2.0 is one of two things, one being either rigged to success so they attract more fans. Two, it's a contract graveyard where the contracts of Darnell Nurse, PLD and Seth Jones end up (Well, Jones I see going to Houston via the expansion draft).
What is there to not believe about it? Is it so unbelievable that the league would actually conduct market research of their own, evaluate the plans the various Atlanta groups have, and determined for themselves that it may actually work this time around?

Look, be happy you guys got the first Thrashers team. The second one will be just fine right here where it belongs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is there to not believe about it? Is it so unbelievable that the league would actually conduct market research of their own, evaluate the plans the various Atlanta groups have, and determined for themselves that it may actually work this time around?

Look, be happy you guys got the first Thrashers team. The second one will be just fine right here where it belongs.
Not sure if the NHL is doing market research. It's really contacting Fertittia in Houston about his interest, unless there is another group that will follow what the 2 ATL groups are planning which is building another arena outside of Harris county. NHL would be more vetting the ownership groups. They see ATL and HOU as large metro markets.

Their main goal is to ensure that the ownership groups are good and that they have arena deals signed. Non traditional markets, need strong stable ownership. Otherwise, you end up with the days back when FLA was drawing 4 figures nightly. With Hou, if it is with Fertittia, they would want to know what the plans are for Toyota Center for the next 25 years to say 2050. Big reno like Bos, Phi, STL, etc have had or will they look to build a new one.

NHL teams are now on notice that Expansion is coming so they better manage their NMC and ED protection over the next couple of years. Houston can start by 26/27 (2026 draft) if they are announced sometime during the 24/25 season. ATL needs to wait for their arena to be built.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Atlanta at least will start losing money probably in year 4.

There is absolutely no way this happens.

Two big, local examples to show this:

1) The Atlanta Braves/Battery - After seeing what happened with the Atlanta Braves and the Battery, the entire sports world realized that the model to printing money going forward was to use an arena/ballpark as the anchor to a mixed-use development in the suburbs.

2) Atlanta United - For all intents and purposes, soccer had no history in Atlanta. Yeah we had the Chiefs (hardly anyone alive saw them play or remembers them) and we had the Silverbacks (which weren't really a big deal). Regardless, a new team coming to the city excited fans and they showed up in droves, and continue to do so. Since their founding, they have led the MLS in attendance every year and own dozens and dozens of attendance records.

Now, why does that matter for Anson or Krause's pitch?

First, they're wanting to put their mixed-use developments in the middle of the highest concentration of wealth and disposable income in the entire state. Of the 10 richest cities in Georgia, 4 are 10 or less than 10 minutes away of the arena and another 2 are 15 minutes away from the arena, no matter where it ends up.

Second, Atlanta fans have shown they'll support a new team even if they don't have a history/affinity for the sport. It doesn't stop there, however, because both arena locations are in the middle of a Thrashers season ticket holders heat map. In other words, they're bringing the arena/team to their previous customers.

Absolutely no way they lose money or fail going forward. That is going to be THE place to be on game night.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
There is absolutely no way this happens.

Two big, local examples to show this:

1) The Atlanta Braves/Battery - After seeing what happened with the Atlanta Braves and the Battery, the entire sports world realized that the model to printing money going forward was to use an arena/ballpark as the anchor to a mixed-use development in the suburbs.

2) Atlanta United - For all intents and purposes, soccer had no history in Atlanta. Yeah we had the Chiefs (hardly anyone alive saw them play or remembers them) and we had the Silverbacks (which weren't really a big deal). Regardless, a new team coming to the city excited fans and they showed up in droves, and continue to do so. Since their founding, they have led the MLS in attendance every year and own dozens and dozens of attendance records.

Now, why does that matter for Anson or Krause's pitch?

First, they're wanting to put their mixed-use developments in the middle of the highest concentration of wealth and disposable income in the entire state. Of the 10 richest cities in Georgia, 4 are 10 or less than 10 minutes away of the arena and another 2 are 15 minutes away from the arena, no matter where it ends up.

Second, Atlanta fans have shown they'll support a new team even if they don't have a history/affinity for the sport. It doesn't stop there, however, because both arena locations are in the middle of a Thrashers season ticket holders heat map. In other words, they're bringing the arena/team to their previous customers.

Absolutely no way they lose money or fail going forward. That is going to be THE place to be on game night.
No, you got it wrong. They can't possibly like hockey. Any other sport, yes, but the people of Atlanta specifically will not be able to understand or appreciate hockey. How else are people like the OP supposed to feel special if *anyone* can like their favorite sport?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad