GDT: NHL Entry draft thread : Kings traded down w/ Mtl #21 for #26, 57 and 198

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Think Kaliyev is at home but a quick check of his search history shows “how to get rid of bodies” and “Rob Blake home address”

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The whole PLD saga has been an absolute nightmare. However since Luc embarrassed himself at the end of season presser there seems to be a different intent/mindset.

We can quibble over trade values a little but since the move to dump PLD things have been decent even if you don’t think it’s been brilliant (I’m somewhere in between). I think it’s really going to come down to what we do in free agency as to how we see this period.

When is the QO deadline for the RFA’s? I haven’t seen that we’ve given QO’s to our RFA’s but I assume it has to be before the UFA window opens. I’m interested as to the plan with Lizotte in particular but also Kaliyev. They obviously qualify QB and Spence whilst they negotiate.

Reactions: BaileyFan and funky

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How is it that LA ended the draft with only 4 picks again?

They have had a total of 20 picks over the past 4 drafts. And not a single playoff round won.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
How is it that LA ended the draft with only 4 picks again?

They have had a total of 20 picks over the past 4 drafts. And not a single playoff round won.
I was thinking the same thing. Traded down to get more picks, end up making the original amount of picks anyway, and Kaliyev and Roy are still here. Okay.

Reactions: King'sPawn

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
And added Jeannot for one of those picks. Ain’t no fourth round pick playing for the Kings this coming year. We wanted snarl. We got it. Just watched his fights on you tube. Dude can fight.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Is it just me or is it a little weird how Blake seems to distance himself from Yannetti and the scouts here?

It's just you.

The Kings have always let their scouts run the draft except for the override for Turcotte. It's really Yannetti's show
The GM is there to move up and down to where they think their players are gonna fall.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I was thinking the same thing. Traded down to get more picks, end up making the original amount of picks anyway, and Kaliyev and Roy are still here. Okay.
Won't be long for Roy and Kaliyev I imagine

It's just you.

The Kings have always let their scouts run the draft except for the override for Turcotte. It's really Yannetti's show
The GM is there to move up and down to where they think their players are gonna fall.
And its Blake and the Development team's job to get the best outta the draft choices and free agent signings on their way to LA.unfortunately there has been a Huge disconnect somewhere and that's on Blake the Master of Disaster!!!

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
It's not what I was thinking... and acquiring the forward cost next years 2nd so... if anything I was half right about a fairly predictable outcome.

I claim no credit but thanks for the attempt.
The greatest ones are always the most humble...

Jessedamus could you please suggest that we sign a 50 goal scorer for 2 million or trade for him with a 7th?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Do you think LA can get a 2nd next year for Kaliyev? I mean the Rangers suckered some dummy to trade a 2nd for Lias Anderson!!

Anderson was the 7th OA pick at the draft. The Kings had 3 second rnd picks in 2020, traded the lowest, 60th for him. Worth the risk for a former top 10 pick. Kaliyev will probably be part of a bigger deal, not just for futures.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Agreed.

It'll be interesting to look back at this draft in 6-8 years and evaluate it -- namely:
  • Solberg miss if we'd have stayed at #21 -- is he a stud or dud?
  • Did Greentree become a top 6 player and worth passing on #21?
  • Did George become an NHL goalie and thus a smart move moving down to add him?
  • Was Tanner J a good trade adding him to the current team and changing the team mindset, giving young guys a big/tough guy as help, etc.? Or was he yet another wasted asset trade by Blake?

When I read about him , I thought of Colton Teubert , especially throwing all those hit. If you recall , Teubert rep was he was the meanest toughest SOB in the draft. That pick didn't work out so well for us. When I look at Solberg and Wooley, there doesn't seem to be that much of a gap expect in age and maturity. Wooley could be a steal, and it would be pretty funny if the guy the Kings traded up for with the Ducks, made it over Solberg .

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad