NHL Entry Draft 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
If the hockey news scouts were better they’d be NHL scouts
A thousand times this! The hockey media is useful for getting intelligence on trades and such, but if they were nearly as good as they believe they are on player evaluations, they would be employed by an NHL club.

Reactions: adsfan

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm still a bit down on the Surin pick but other than that, I am liking the player profile we are targeting especially in later rounds. Trotz seems to understand that compete and nastiness go a long way in the playoffs and he's throwing a lot of darts on the board with those type of players.

All-in-all, I was a bit surprised we didn't take more defensemen but after than round 3, it's a crapshoot anyways.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don’t hate the draft class. I am very happy with stiga especially. My only thought is we had 6 picks in top 100 and the only guys we got that were rated in the top 100 were surin, stiga and marques….
Let’s hope Barry knows better than the hockey news and central scouting but I must say I’m a bit disappointed but I don’t hate it either. Time will tell.

If I’ve learned anything about hockey prospects it’s that rankings are bs, especially once you start getting outside of the top players. To most of these scouts it’s likely that player 50 is maybe marginally more likely to be successful vs player 150. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

The other crazy thing about hockey vs other major us sports is just how difficult it is to cover everything. There are so many players in so many different places. They don’t deal with this in the NFL. It is somewhat of an issue in the NBA/MLB but nowhere near the same level of difficulty to scout.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Maybe this part of Barry's secret plan to tank us and Haslam sells the team to Houston.
If both of those things happen, I will go back to the Bruins. They were my team in the late 60s and early 70s.

That would make the 2nd time that Houston stole my team. The first was the WHA Aeros, who were going to be in Dayton.

I'm just not that high on L'Heureux myself so I'm not really high on this as a strategy. I just figured there were higher upside swings available.
Who needs a guy that scores all of those goals, especially the shorthanded ones.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If the hockey news scouts were better they’d be NHL scouts
That's a bit of an oversimplistic view. Some NHL scouts are just old boys network guys who really aren't that great. Bob McKenzie just polls NHL scouts, from his Hockey News through TSN to now years. So it's the same thing as NHL scouts. And some of the so-called "amateurs" out there are doing just as much work and know just as much but are making more money selling their own guides and advertising on their sites, so don't need to work for peanuts driving around like some of the NHL beat scouts do. Some do get hired by NHL teams. Or turn down jobs from NHL teams.

Now if you said "hockeys future" scouts, that'd be different. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad