GDT: NHL Entry Draft 2018: The Attitude Era Begins @ 7PM ET June 22, 2018

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Take risks and have the better player, were not gonna go back to the promised land with wingers.
The better player is Zadina. Kotkaniemi may not even be a true top 10 pick, let alone a top 3. The Habs, if they take him, are reaching (i.e. gambling) on a kid who's less of a sure thing than Zadina, who is touted as the best pure goal scorer in this draft. The Habs need centers but mostly they just need offense. Goals. To get goals you need to have talent. Zadina is a talented goal scorer. That, to me, trumps the fact that he happens to be a winger.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The fail was in deployment and development.. not in the selection and the guy who was rated 3rd fell very far down the draft board and was also traded.

Your argument doesn't work and it also ignores the fact that both Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi are and were present on multiple lists as better than the winger counterpart.

Also we are going on 20+ years with a lack of a center.. so it's not as simple as letting someone else deal with it.

You think Julien Bresbois takes Kota at 5?
You think Bresbois would go 7 years without finding centers?.

TIMES UP.....

Take the best player...your time is short...dont screw the franchise by passing over the 40 goal sniper for hope....

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Poehling's meh?

I thought you were ''screaming to trade up to get him''?

EvenGrimChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif
Scherbak, Juulsen, Sergachev, and Poehling have the jury still out on them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Max brings back one of Vilardi, JAD, Borgstrom(doubt it), I'm still taking Kotkaniemi. You're allowed to have more than one blue chip C prospect.
And I'd probably take another in 2019 #yolo

Agreed! Get the center with a very high upside! We can sign UFA’s to acquire wingers or use spare assets down the road to get a winger.

Love Zadina but it will take a while for him to be a consistent 30 goal scorer. I can see him having really good PP stats but he is not NHL ready IMO. His skating is nowhere near as good as Hischer!

Buy the Kotkaniemi stock now before it rises even higher! This is about how our roster looks in 3 years, not next year

Saxon

Demigod
Mar 9, 2015
The better player is Zadina. Kotkaniemi may not even be a true top 10 pick, let alone a top 3. The Habs, if they take him, are reaching (i.e. gambling) on a kid who's less of a sure thing than Zadina, who is touted as the best pure goal scorer in this draft. The Habs need centers but mostly they just need offense. Goals. To get goals you need to have talent. Zadina is a talented goal scorer. That, to me, trumps the fact that he happens to be a winger.
Now your just making stuff up. Not top ten? best goal scorer.....:huh:

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Or you could get similar wingers like Berggren Bokk Farabee later on the first round..........
There are fewer wingers who can score like Zadina than there are centers like Kotkaniemi in this draft. Kotkaniemi is only rated as the best center this year because this year's draft is weak in general and exceptionally weak for centers in particular. Kotkaniemi is merely the best of a mediocre crop of centermen. If he were only eligible next year he might not even be the top ranked guy in his position.

If the Habs want to trade down and take Kotkaniemi later on then fine, but they shouldn't be using the #3 to get him. If they keep the pick as is they should take Zadina. Guys with elite scoring ability don't grow on trees.

Reactions: Jabba11

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There are fewer wingers who can score like Zadina than there are centers like Kotkaniemi in this draft. Kotkaniemi is only rated as the best center this year because this year's draft is weak in general and exceptionally weak for centers in particular. Kotkaniemi is merely the best of a mediocre crop of centermen. If he were only eligible next year he might not even be the top ranked guy in his position.

If the Habs want to trade down and take Kotkaniemi later on then fine, but they shouldn't be using the #3 to get him. If they keep the pick as is they should take Zadina. Guys with elite scoring ability don't grow on trees.

We all understand your concerns but you have to admit that Kotkaniemi is a top 5 prospect? Don’t ignore the hype right before the draft. Habs are not the only ones interested in him in the top 6 or top 8. Then factor in the 3-12 picks are similar talent.

Zadina has a quick release and accurate shot. But a top 2 center with #1C has more value. Kotkaniemi can score goals too

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Now your just making stuff up. Not top ten? best goal scorer.....:huh:
Ray Ferraro said this week that Zadina is in his opinion the best pure goal scorer in this draft, even ahead of Svetchnikov. Just within the last hour they had a guy from McKeen's on 690 who said that in his opinion Kotkaniemi shouldn't even be a top 10 pick and that the Habs are making a huge mistake if they use the 3rd overall pick to take that reach.

As for me, I am still unsatisfied with the explanations I have been given about how Kotkaniemi's stock could rise so high so fast when he hasn't even played during that time. His elevation from wherever he was before into top 3 status is, I believe, mostly fabricated hype due to the fact that he's a center and the Habs need centers. But he didn't suddenly become a better player in the last 3 weeks and eclipse Zadina on merit. People are overthinking this. If Kotkaniemi wasn't a center we aren't even having this discussion now. Zadina is the BPA at #3. That's the guy the Habs should take. Draft the talent, not the position.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Saxon

Demigod
Mar 9, 2015
Ray Ferraro said this week that Zadina is in his opinion the best pure goal scorer in this draft, even ahead of Svetchnikov. Just within the last hour they had a guy from McKeen's on 690 who said that in his opinion Kotkaniemi shouldn't even be a top 10 pick and that the Habs are making a huge mistake if they use the 3rd overall pick to take that reach.

As for me, I am still unsatisfied with the explanations I have been given about how Kotkaniemi's stock could rise so high so fast when he hasn't even played during that time. His elevation from wherever he was before into top 3 status is, I believe, mostly fabricated hype due to the fact that he's a center and the Habs need centers. But he didn't suddenly become a better player in the last 3 weeks and eclipse Zadina on merit. People are overthinking this. If Kotkaniemi wasn't a center we aren't even having this discussion now. Zadina is the BPA at #3. That's the guy the Habs should take. Draft the talent, not the position.
I can't even put my hand on my heart and say he's a better goal scorer than Whalstrom. I could easily use my own narrative and say that if Kotkaniemi played in the Q, he'd be consensus to third overall.... After all we saw what both did in pro men's leagues at the same age.....

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Well if we are appealing to authority... Only one of those is selected by actual NHL scouts...
At the end of the day, NHL scouts and these scouting services both get it wrong fairly often. Not fair to discredit either one and I'd be quicker to trust these publications over posters on our message boards or my own perception.

Some rankings have more value vs others
Imo, all have more value than our own personal opinions. None of them will end up being 100% right.

Saxon

Demigod
Mar 9, 2015
At the end of the day, NHL scouts and these scouting services both get it wrong fairly often. Not fair to discredit either one and I'd be quicker to trust these publications over posters on our message boards or my own perception.
I'll still to the professionals who are putting their careers on the line.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
No need to debate who to take between Zadina or Kotkaniemi. Pick Noah Dobson and your building surely in defense.

Idk what’s the hype on all the forwards but Dobson is for me the best prospect after Dahlin and Svechnikov. Remove your beer goggles and realize how Dobson is the BPA who most potential amongst the remaining top prospects. The day this kid fills out his frame and continue developing, he will become so dominant in this league. If you don’t pick him, you will regret this. He’s a Seth Jones/Pietrangelo hybrid type of player. You pick that 3rd overall. Period.

Id rather wait next year to pick an elite #1C.

Saxon

Demigod
Mar 9, 2015

Imo, all have more value than our own personal opinions. None of them will end up being 100% right.
You are the one that brought up the rankings... Now your arguing it's a bad argument?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Next year is allegedly deep in quality Cs. Kotkaniemi would need to seriously progress to get the same billing as he is getting this year. It's not impossible, though.

Saxon

Demigod
Mar 9, 2015
No need to debate who to take between Zadina or Kotkaniemi. Pick Noah Dobson and your building surely in defense.

Idk what’s the hype on all the forwards but Dobson is for me the best prospect after Dahlin and Svechnikov. Remove your beer goggles and realize how Dobson is the BPA who most potential amongst the remaining top prospects. The day this kid fills out his frame and continue developing, he will become so dominant in this league. If you don’t pick him, you will regret this. He’s a Seth Jones/Pietrangelo hybrid type of player. You pick that 3rd overall. Period.

Id rather wait next year to pick an elite #1C.
I'd be happy with that too. There are a few picks I'd be happy with actually. Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Dobson, Hughes.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

Take this from a different perspective. While there seems to be a great disparity among scouts about where Kotkaniemi slots in (anywhere from 3rd to 13th, or so it seems) where do all of these sources have Zadina going? Are opinions about him and where he ranks as varied as those involving Kotkaniemi? I haven't checked but I'd be willing to bet that not one of them has Zadina ranked as low as they have Kotkaniemi. On most lists I've seen, Zadina is solidly entrenched at #3 and wherever he isn't ranked that high, he's only a couple of spots lower. I have yet to see any ranking where Zadina is ranked at 10th or lower but more than a couple have Kotkaniemi down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad