GDT: NHL Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Here's a different idea:

Anybody think that with DP's offensive emergence, the Pens might move Ehrhoff and use the return to acquire a defenseman that better suits their needs?

That would actually be pretty sweet, but I can't see that happening.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I have a gut feeling they'll add a depth D too. I just hope they stay out of the crazy morning and early afternoon bidding wars and maybe snag someone dirt cheap closer to 3PM when a seller may finally panic and move a guy a little cheaper.

Not sure Sutter's really in play. I'm not saying he shouldn't be but that would be the one somewhat stunning move that could be made today. I read somewhere that Edmonton still wants a center. Petry + for Sutter would be interesting.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I'm kinda disappointed with how little the Pens have done. From all indications, the Pens are interested in contending this year, but teams like Tampa and NYR have made their teams a lot stronger with adding Coburn and Yandle. I don't see them beating either of those teams. I really hope the Pens find a Coburn or Yandle equivalent at forward to play with Malkin today.

I really hope they do the exact opposite since their chances of winning this season is slim to none, it's a seller's market, and they'll be in better shape next year anyway with the return of maata and whatever moves they should be able to make with the cap space acquired after martin/erhoff/adams/etc. are gone.

This isn't the year to go all in, especially since they have yet to prove they could even hang with the rangers, isles, and capitals before they made their recent moves, let alone afterwards.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Like I said, the move to make is to bargin shop late... early TDday deals are always overpriced, so unless the guy is an absolute need or a long term perfect fit, dont do it

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Here's a different idea:

Anybody think that with DP's offensive emergence, the Pens might move Ehrhoff and use the return to acquire a defenseman that better suits their needs?
That's pretty much the only way they'd be able to bring in a defenseman who'd have much of an impact. I think it's worth looking into, definitely.

Would be tough to pull off though since Ehrhoff can nix any deal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That would actually be pretty sweet, but I can't see that happening.

Yeah, def. a longshot, just something to entertain.

I have a gut feeling they'll add a depth D too. I just hope they stay out of the crazy morning and early afternoon bidding wars and maybe snag someone dirt cheap closer to 3PM when a seller may finally panic and move a guy a little cheaper.

Not sure Sutter's really in play. I'm not saying he shouldn't be but that would be the one somewhat stunning move that could be made today. I read somewhere that Edmonton still wants a center. Petry + for Sutter would be interesting.

Agreed on everything.

penguins2946*

I wonder if we could buy low on Stewart. As we're getting closer to the deadline, I can't imagine his value staying very high.

I really hope they do the exact opposite since their chances of winning this season is slim to none, it's a seller's market, and they'll be in better shape next year anyway with the return of maata and whatever moves they should be able to make with the cap space acquired after martin/erhoff/adams/etc. are gone.

This isn't the year to go all in, especially since they have yet to prove they could even hang with the rangers, isles, and capitals before they made their recent moves, let alone afterwards.

I'd be fine with waiting, but the Pens still need a winger for Malkin regardless of when they bring him in. I'd just want to bring him in now just so we're not entirely throwing out this year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't live in Canada, so I don't hear the hockey media. These guys are BRUTAL when it comes to the Leafs and the players on it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's pretty much the only way they'd be able to bring in a defenseman who'd have much of an impact. I think it's worth looking into, definitely.

Would be tough to pull off though since Ehrhoff can nix any deal.

Lots of variables there, for sure.

I'd still love if we could move Sutter. He's such a hole on that 3rd line.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't trust that second line at all when the games get tough and I believe that getting both Malkin and Crosby going at roughly the same rate is the key to real success with this team. But even I realize that the 3LC is the biggest issue on this roster, currently. The rest of the framework is there for a very respectable bottom six, provided the coach keeps dressing the right players.

So that would be my biggest need for this TDL. Even if it's dumb to even hope for. I don't think, with prices being what they are, that finding a guy to ride shotgun with Malkin is that realistic, anyway. And ANY defensive help seems to be going for astronomical prices.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I'd be fine with waiting, but the Pens still need a winger for Malkin regardless of when they bring him in. I'd just want to bring him in now just so we're not entirely throwing out this year.

A valid point, they'd probably have more options come draft time though, depends on who's available today compared to then, I guess. If the worst they do today is stand pat I'll be satisfied, they'll be better next year regardless.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I apologize from all of Canada if you guys are forced to watch Sportsnet. My sympathies go out to one and all.

I think most of us read the market very well this year. We so believed it was a sellers' market very, very early. The Perron deal was solid, but after that JR and co. really needed to start selling (in order to buy now). We didn't do it, and now we're completely stuck unless willing to deal roster players (which we seem completely reluctant to do).

Put Martin, Kunitz, Sutter and Adams out there and see what the market is like. I'm SO curious to know what we could get for these guys.

Now, having said that, considering what everybody's paying...we're NOT in terrible shape here right now. Just don't do anything more because the prices seem to be going UP, not down here.

Will the price on Petry drop at 2:55pm ET? I doubt it.

Guys I'd be interested in acquiring today: Kessel, Yakupov, Scott, Polak, Kucherov.

Obviously, a Kessel deal would require significant moving pieces. Think about this: Kessel's cap hit more or less = Sutter, Adams and Dupuis (dump). If we added Polak to the mix, sent them Dumoulin and Blueger...could that work for both teams? Then we could ship Kunitz for a draft pick or two, and we replace Kunitz with Kessel and add Polak (and add a little cap space in that entire process) to the D mix.

That's the kind of move I'd want us to try to make today. Otherwise, let's not do anything rash here.

We should also call MacTavish about swapping Jarry for Yakupov. See if they'll bite. The Sharks are another team we should be talking to. Adams for Scott would be great. Now that we're scratching Adams, he's probably pissed off about it. Get him out of the room. Scott is the type of player who's always expecting to be scratched. He'd be a good guy to add in the room, imo.

Polak is the D I want...much much cheaper, big hitter and tough as nails. Again, I think he's another leader type our room needs.

SO that's pretty much my wish list for today. But honestly, considering what is going down...I'd be very pleased if we did ZERO today. With JR, that is highly unlikely.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Polak is the D I want...much much cheaper, big hitter and tough as nails. Again, I think he's another leader type our room needs.

SO that's pretty much my wish list for today. But honestly, considering what is going down...I'd be very pleased if we did ZERO today. With JR, that is highly unlikely.

Yeah, Polak would be a nice get.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's so refreshing.

Boston gave up a lot for a guy who hasn't done much. Connolly has all the skill though.

Hell, I thought Connolly would be waiver fodder earlier this year given Tampa's depth, but they stuck with him and got a couple 2nds. That's awesome.

I'm in awe of Stevie Y and Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad