NHL.com ranks top 20 centers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Zibenejad shouldn't be top-20 after this previous season. Prior to that, I'd argue top-15, but he was completely underwhelming last year.
Zibanejad definitely took a step back this past season but I'd just swap Trocheck into Zibanejad's spot. He centered arguably the best line in the NHL and was very productive in the playoffs.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Wow, that is a pretty bad take.

I'm sure you, like most leaf fans were very happy with playoff Matthews performances. Maybe I'll go check on the leafs board and see how you all felt.

It's pretty clear that wins/losses are a team accomplishment. If Matthews was putting up great numbers but still losing I wouldn't hold it against him.

So basically what you are saying is that playoff performance has no bearing how we should value a player?

My original question was honest. We can debate how much it matters, 90/10 to 50/50, but to say it doesn't matter is ridiculous. Draisaitl/Kucherov/Barkov/McKinnon/McDavid elevate their games in the playoffs and Matthews does not. It has to count against him and for them.
No, what you're saying is that regular season play and making the po is worthless. Only deep runs and a SC is worthwhile. And that is a terrible take.
Funny how someone who places almost no value on the regular season, is here spending time reading and commenting in the off season.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Cripes the guy has 3 Rockets, a Hart and will pass 400 goals in his age 27 season. Maybe he’s the second best center or maybe the fifth. It’s pretty close after McDavid.
Imagine clicking on a thread in this forum, and not ten posts in (on any thread) someone hasn't mentioned the Leafs.

Now imagine clicking on a thread here, about the top centers per NHL marketing article, and Matthews is immediately attacked................

It's "too funny".

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
No, what you're saying is that regular season play and making the po is worthless. Only deep runs and a SC is worthwhile. And that is a terrible take.
Funny how someone who places almost no value on the regular season, is here spending time reading and commenting in the off season.

Check your reading comprehension and reasoning skills.

I never said regular season was worthless. I simply asked someone how they would value regular season vs playoffs.

Clearly games played in both are relevant to assessing a players value.

Matthews bad post season play hurts him. His good regular season play helps him. That is painfully obvious.

Am I saying Matthews is worthless - of course not. But other player like Draisaitl and Barkov have pretty compelling arguments to be valued higher based off total body of work. He is still at least a top 10 player.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Imagine clicking on a thread in this forum, and not ten posts in (on any thread) someone hasn't mentioned the Leafs.

Now imagine clicking on a thread here, about the top centers per NHL marketing article, and Matthews is immediately attacked................

It's "too funny".
Chill, Leafs and their fans aren't victims here.

It's a list of top centres that had Matthews above Drai, of course it's going to create debate.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Matthews is generational, while Barkov and Drai are not.
Matthews might literally go down as the greatest season goal scorer of all time (in the season), his season play is totally absurd.

However, if he doesn't have some massive playoffs, he will also go down as one of the worst post season players relative to their talent.

Matthews season g/60=1st in the league (by far) at 2/60
Matthews post season g/60= 32nd, even if I am generous and remove players with 30 and below games played he is still 24th at 1.2/60, absolutely inexcusable for someone as talented/paid/surrounded by other talent as him (if this included all time greats, he'd probably be 40th+)

Matthews already is 138th all time in goals scored during the season
However his post season goals total is 300th overall

He has 2 goals in his last 10 playoff game

These illustrate how far off his season he is come playoff time. Maybe you can say he is slightly better than Barkov, but come post season he's not even in the same stratosphere as Drai.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pretty good list, would flip around a few guys (Miller & Pettersson) but I cant think of any glaring issues.

Not sure why this irritates me but it’s always Pettersson and then Miller, after last years playoffs it should be Miller then Pettersson. Miller is playing with Boeser indicating he’s now the 1C & EP’s the 2C and he played better than Pettersson last season.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
1) McDavid
2) MacKinnon
3) Draisaitl
------------
4) Matthews
5) Barkov
6) Crosby
7) Eichel
8) Point