NHL: Around the League 53

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Getting him off the books is one thing but he's getting paid every penny he's owed unless there's more to this story.
Probably, but they sometimes come to an agreement before hand and dont pay the full salary depending on the situation. I think they just wanted to get rid of him off their team regardless of what it costs was my point.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sillinger was a piece in that Seth Jones trade right? I know it’s a controversial trade but I’d be remiss to point out it doesn’t seem like these picks are panning out into can’t miss superstars.

The deal was basically Jones for Boqvist, Sillinger, and Jiricek yeah? I’m on my phone so can’t dig up the details. Sillinger still has a ton of potential of course as does Jiricek so it may be too early for an ultimate evaluation.

With that said, it’s looking like we’ll get the best player in the trade and that like I’ve been hypothesizing…picks and prospects are mostly overrated.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sillinger was a piece in that Seth Jones trade right? I know it’s a controversial trade but I’d be remiss to point out it doesn’t seem like these picks are panning out into can’t miss superstars.

The deal was basically Jones for Boqvist, Sillinger, and Jiricek yeah? I’m on my phone so can’t dig up the details. Sillinger still has a ton of potential of course as does Jiricek so it may be too early for an ultimate evaluation.

With that said, it’s looking like we’ll get the best player in the trade and that like I’ve been hypothesizing…picks and prospects are mostly overrated.
But they could have been a worse team than 6th last, without Jones, without Fleury, etc. if they decided to rebuild instead of retool.

Could have had a top 5 pick and got Nemec, Slaf, Cooley, or Gauthier. Also, no guarantee they pick Sillinger if they had that pick, could have had Wallstedt, or Wyatt Johnston instead. Not to mention, wouldnt be stuck with Jones shitty contract for 7 more years, but, we also could have missed out on Bedard without Jones. That's the main thing really, no Bedard if we dont trade for Jones, probably, so whatever.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

the trade was always more or less a wash in my eyes. it was the extension that was the problem.

Reactions: Dead Meat

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

To :cbj
D Adam Boqvist
1st round pick in 2021 (12th overall) - Jackets selected Cole Sillinger
2nd round pick in 2021 (44th overall) - Jackets traded it to Carolina for D Jake Bean
1st round pick in 2022 (6th overall) - Jackets selected David Jiricek

To :hawks
D Seth Jones
1st round pick in 2021 (32nd overall) - Hawks selected Nolan Allan
6th round pick in 2022 (173rd overall) - Hawks selected Dominic James

Boqvist (Buyout) and Bean (Left via FA) are now out of Jackets organization

So Hawks have Jones + Allan + James left on roster or in system from trade and Jackets have Sillinger and Jiricek

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
To :cbj
D Adam Boqvist
1st round pick in 2021 (12th overall) - Jackets selected Cole Sillinger
2nd round pick in 2021 (44th overall) - Jackets traded it to Carolina for D Jake Bean
1st round pick in 2022 (6th overall) - Jackets selected David Jiricek

To :hawks
D Seth Jones
1st round pick in 2021 (32nd overall) - Hawks selected Nolan Allan
6th round pick in 2022 (173rd overall) - Hawks selected Dominic James

Boqvist (Buyout) and Bean (Left via FA) are now out of Jackets organization

So Hawks have Jones + Allan + James left on roster or in system from trade and Jackets have Sillinger and Jiricek
As it was said above, as of this moment, the trade is completely fair. Now if Jiricek becomes a #1 stud, then not so much.

The issue comes with the contract they threw at Jones.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Considering we gave up all that, he really only wanted to go to the Hawks, and Stars (who couldn't afford him), and he only had 1 year left on his deal before they could have got him for free, they still paid way too much for him in the trade, and signing him. Could have used those assets to acquire players more in the rebuild timeline.

Last edited:

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I like McGroaty more than Yager (bigger center verses a smaller winger), but a good job by Chevy to salvage a bad situation where I guy don't want to play for your team.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Yager and McGroarty are similar level players. McGroarty might be more equipped for the NHL though.

Either way, a good save for Winnipeg.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
It was self-inflicted wound by Jets management though

Not sure they should get credit for being the reason entire situation came about
They really need to do better communicating. They wouldn't even give him one single game last year to burn a year. So this is all on Jets mgmt if they did not communicate their plans form the start and through his development.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
They really need to do better communicating. They wouldn't even give him one single game last year to burn a year. So this is all on Jets mgmt if they did not communicate their plans form the start and through his development.

They also can't use the "We were in race for division, etc" excuse because Devils were in same position when signing Hughes and played him in a few games (Including playoffs)

And they played guys like Axel Johnsson-Fjallby and David Gustafsson to end year and in playoffs

High draft picks are now routinely signing deals (Also other NCAA players) getting in some games to end year

Jets dont want to do that, fine but dont be shocked when a high value prospect pulls this

Same thing happened with Cutter who was ready to sign with Flyers and get in NHL games only for Flyers to say "Not interested" and saw relationship with player go down gutter

Reactions: Putt Pirate

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Sounds like things have been going really well in Columbus the last few years.....

Well deserved after how unbearable that fanbase was from the Saad trades and the Jones trades. Funny seeing Jarmos legacy do a 180

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad