Prospect Info: Adam Engstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
A lot of competition for that.

It was Kapanen for a while and still might be but Engstrom is definitely a contender. Rohrer is also a sneaky prospect who might surprise as there is some Lehkonen in him. Nobody is talking about Logan Sawyer and he could potentially really take off as there is legitimate talent/upside there. It is obviously too early on him but we will get an idea in the second half of his first college season.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
How many of those failed top euro prospects dominated at the WJC against our best. This kid did with a garbage team
This is such BS lol. Yeah, Reinbacher dominated the WJC so hard that Austria lost every single game, got relegated, and was outscored by 30+ goals in the group stage.

He didn't do a damn thing "against our best"

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Sooner or later, we will need D that are great defensively. After Guhle, it's really thin. All those offensively gifted dmen like Engstrom, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson will all need to step their D game up because if not, we will have a problem.
? Reinbacher is good at defending, and Engstrom showd signs of being good too.

Reactions: SlafySZN

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It doesn't matter really.

Engstrom pedigree is better, Doesn't mean he'll succeed but he's arguably a much better prospect. It's not close really.

Norlinder (21 years old)

u20 : 0 points in 7 games
SHL : 12 points in 59 games -16 (prorated 19 points 95 games -26)

Engstrom (19 years old)

u20 : 3 points in 7 games
SHL : 38 points in 95 games -17

There really is no comparison to be made between the two. Engtrom is vastly in advance over Norlinder at the same age. Norlinder at the same age was playing 2nd division and was doing about as well as Engstrom was doing in the SHL. In fact Norlinder two years older was doing worse in the SHL than Engstrom.

I hate how people evaluate our prospects of the past based on stupid hype by the media "we must sell moar beers for molson" hype train instead of factual numbers and observation. I also hate this attitude of all our prospects of the past under a different administration failed so all our prospects in the future will too.

Norlinder is still one of the highest scoring U-22 blueliners in SHL playoff history, but his game was always all offense as he was clearly a boom or bust type since his defense was too shaky to start and he just didn't seem to work hard or progress on his weaknesses.

Engstrom I do not seem him having the same level of offense but his game is much more suited for the NHL then Norlinder as he's the type imo that you could plug on any pairing on either side and be fine as his defensive game is solid. He's more like Reinbacher in that both will be known for their two way games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sooner or later, we will need D that are great defensively. After Guhle, it's really thin. All those offensively gifted dmen like Engstrom, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson will all need to step their D game up because if not, we will have a problem.

Engstrom and Reinbacher shouldn't be in the same conversation as Hutson and Mailloux. Mailloux and Hutson are boom or bust types, Mailloux if is offense doesn't translate then he's not an NHLer as he just doesn't seem very bright and while we have to wait and see how much can his defensive game progress, as of now it's not good at all of course so it needs a lot of work.

Hutson I think his defense is underrated a bit but I have always worried about 161 lbs blueliner (no clue what he's up to now) but he's smart in his own end but of course he's going to be very limited by the lack of height, mass, strength, reach.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Engstrom and Reinbacher shouldn't be in the same conversation as Hutson and Mailloux. Mailloux and Hutson are boom or bust types, Mailloux if is offense doesn't translate then he's not an NHLer as he just doesn't seem very bright and while we have to wait and see how much can his defensive game progress, as of now it's not good at all of course so it needs a lot of work.

Hutson I think his defense is underrated a bit but I have always worried about 161 lbs blueliner (no clue what he's up to now) but he's smart in his own end but of course he's going to be very limited by the lack of height, mass, strength, reach.
Like you I actually regard them higher but time will tell.
Mailloux is not close to and never will be in a position to supplant David Reinbacher.
I also think Engstrom will ultimately be a better Dman than Hutson.
I guess for me two of those guys can pair with anyone while the other two may require some thought beforehand.
I'll leave it up to the discerning fan to decide who is who.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
:laugh::laugh: The rest of the team was crap. was he supposed to play defense, forward and goaltender.
Respectfully your opinion means nothing to me because you are one of the biggest homers on this board

It's not about him playing bad, it's about him not dominating. Simple as that.

Watch the games, would an unbiased fan say Reinbacher dominated in that 10-0 loss to Sweden?

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I watched, it's just silly to say that anyone from the Austrian team dominated, especially against our best.

He played well but he didn't even have an opportunity to dominate.
They lost four games by a goal- Czechia, Finland, Switzerland and Latvia. Three of those are medal contenders and he played top minutes. There’s a reason he was sought after at 5th by multiple teams.

Reactions: nicehiss

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Like you I actually regard them higher but time will tell.
Mailloux is not close to and never will be in a position to supplant David Reinbacher.
I also think Engstrom will ultimately be a better Dman than Hutson.
I guess for me two of those guys can pair with anyone while the other two may require some thought beforehand.
I'll leave it up to the discerning fan to decide who is who.

Not a knock on anyone but I don't know how anyone could watch Reinbacher this past year and think they know anything about what he will be. I haven't a clue as his game was all over the place but you look at his physical tools and he's clearly going to be an NHLer but I don't know what he even is yet, as his defensive game is overrated imo and I just don't know what to make of the offense other then I have said I think it's underrated.

Mailloux clearly has offensive skills but the IQ and defense have been a big question mark. For me I always opted to rank him high because of him missing so much key development time that I just hoped he would mature and his defensive game improve, but we'll see how that goes. I think his upside could be sky high, Brent Burns like but I never really believe in the IQ so we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a top pairing D one day or in the Euro leagues in 5 years.

I would be shocked if Engstrom ends up better then Hutson, and if so I would assume the Habs are f***ed, as imo Hutson is the key and the most important part of the rebuild since we don't have a Crosby or MaDavid down the middle or a Price in net or a Markov on the blueline, I think Hutson has to be close to an Adam Fox type.

I do like Engstrom a lot though and at last years development camp I thought he was more impressive then Reinbacher. I had hoped he would show more progress this year and I didn't get to see much of him but I have started to wonder if I have been overrating his offense. That said I think he can play anywhere and be the type that while not great at anything he's good to very good at most things.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I would be shocked if Engstrom ends up better then Hutson, and if so I would assume the Habs are f***ed, as imo Hutson is the key and the most important part of the rebuild since we don't have a Crosby or MaDavid down the middle or a Price in net or a Markov on the blueline, I think Hutson has to be close to an Adam Fox type.
I expect Engstrom would get the tough minutes before Hutson does.
It really depends on how well Lane adjusts to NHL forwards.
There is no doubt his IQ is off the charts but I still see him playing Ozone loaded reps.

In Reinbacher's case his all over the place season ended with him being a couple of notches ahead of Logan Mailloux.
Projection is always a crap shot at that age so I can only go by what was in front of me.
I didn't watch the Swiss league to the extent you did but their numbers in Laval head to head were very telling.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I expect Engstrom would get the tough minutes before Hutson does.
It really depends on how well Lane adjusts to NHL forwards.
There is no doubt his IQ is off the charts but I still see him playing Ozone loaded reps.

In Reinbacher's case his all over the place season ended with him being a couple of notches ahead of Logan Mailloux.
Projection is always a crap shot at that age so I can only go by what was in front of me.
I didn't watch the Swiss league to the extent you did but their numbers in Laval head to head were very telling.

If Hutson ends up anything close to Adam Fox it won't matter what Engstrom does as there's no way he could come close to that kind of upside imo. But getting the tougher minutes could be in the cards for him since it's impossible to know how Hutson will do defensively over a long season.

The problem I had with Reinbacher was mostly how bad the errors he was making were, they were not errors of someone that I would say is elite defensive or close to elite. That said he did have a much better 2nd half so we'll see it's just I don't know how anyone could really feel one way or the other about him. His time in Laval went much better then expected so maybe it was more about the shit team and having 3 HC's in one season.

I am hard on Mailloux's IQ/defense but his #'s in Laval were outstanding, much better then I expected. He's clearly got a lot of offensive upside. If he can just be smarter out there.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Roughly.

What does that tells us about Bedard potential and very succesful 1st season?
That's not at all related to the argument I made -- so there's no real need to follow up on it.

Reinbacher did not dominate the WJC and if you think otherwise you need a reality check.

Doesn't make him a bad prospect.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a knock on anyone but I don't know how anyone could watch Reinbacher this past year and think they know anything about what he will be. I haven't a clue as his game was all over the place but you look at his physical tools and he's clearly going to be an NHLer but I don't know what he even is yet, as his defensive game is overrated imo and I just don't know what to make of the offense other then I have said I think it's underrated.

Mailloux clearly has offensive skills but the IQ and defense have been a big question mark. For me I always opted to rank him high because of him missing so much key development time that I just hoped he would mature and his defensive game improve, but we'll see how that goes. I think his upside could be sky high, Brent Burns like but I never really believe in the IQ so we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a top pairing D one day or in the Euro leagues in 5 years.

I do like Engstrom a lot though and at last years development camp I thought he was more impressive then Reinbacher. I had hoped he would show more progress this year and I didn't get to see much of him but I have started to wonder if I have been overrating his offense. That said I think he can play anywhere and be the type that while not great at anything he's good to very good at most things.

Hutson the key to the rebuild?

Even Erik Karlsson only has so much playoff success and no cups.

I think it will be depth, including a top six with a lot of key elements like Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Demidov, Laine, a dcore with rocks Guhle and Renbacher, plus hopefully good offense from the likes of Hutson, Mailloux, and Matheson, and good goaltending.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Engstrom must been Tommy Lehman find. Promoted to chief European Scout. Eriksson too I imagine. That's good work for late picks.

Since they hired him he's drafted Norlinder 64th OA, Engstrom 92nd OA, Eriksson 165th OA, and Bergqvist 224th OA. Plus he pushed for Hughes to draft Heineman but the panthers took him.

Hutson the key to the rebuild?

Even Erik Karlsson only has so much playoff success and no cups.

I think it will be depth, including a top six with a lot of key elements like Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Demidov, Laine, a dcore with rocks Guhle and Renbacher, plus hopefully good offense from the likes of Hutson, Mailloux, and Matheson, and good goaltending.

Karlsson has nothing to do with the Habs.

This team will go no where if they don't find a true #1, someone that can QB the PP. So it doesn't have to be Lane Hutson, but who else do we currently have in the organization that has any real hope of being a PP QB and true #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad