NHL: Around the League 53

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
One of those thing where I am sort of even shocked players agree to.
Who would turn down a guaranteed $7.4m 9 years from now?

I'd imagine as fans we can't grasp the impact of being offered these crazy amounts of money. We're just used to all of the contract news coming in and out so it becomes more mundane than it really is.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Who would turn down a guaranteed $7.4m 9 years from now?

I'd imagine as fans we can't grasp the impact of being offered these crazy amounts of money. We're just used to all of the contract news coming in and out so it becomes more mundane than it really is.
It doesn’t make sense for Jarvis. You lose the investment potential of your money, and you lose inflation. He was getting paid regardless.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It doesn’t make sense for Jarvis. You lose the investment potential of your money, and you lose inflation. He was getting paid regardless.
9 years from now is a long time and a lot can happen. His play could fall off a cliff, he could get injured. The Canes were most likely not able to give him a higher AAV/bigger contract over an 8 year stretch without the deferment so he's locking himself in for a guarantee of millions 9 years from now.

EDIT: Actually I'm not quite sure anymore. The cap savings are pretty minimal and he's losing purchasing power over time. It must make sense to his agent, who I assume has more financial intelligence than I ever will, but it is an interesting decision none the less

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They also have to overpay players to stay in Edmonton.

In that vein, prepare for Draisaitl to be used as an example for why some kind of tax parity needs to be taken into account by folka mad at the salary cap being unfair to Canadian teams the next time (#422,047) the topic of conversation comes up on the main boards.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Edmonton pretty much has to win the cup this year now. Bouchard is going to get like 10 million as well, the cap structure will be completely messed up, and their prospect pool is empty.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Unless Bedard is putting up McDavid/Draisaitl numbers by the time his ELC is up, I would be shocked. Especially his first contract.
Bedard is signing next summer. So unless he puts up 130 points this year, he’s not getting 15 million.

My guess is he’ll sign for around 12.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Bedard is signing next summer. So unless he puts up 130 points this year, he’s not getting 15 million.

My guess is he’ll sign for around 12.
We’ll be talking about this ad nauseam in the late spring/early summer I’m sure. But I wonder if he signs an 8 year deal or takes the Auston Matthews path of taking shorter term deals and bending his team over with each deal.

KD seems to be pretty contract savvy however so I’m not too worried about it.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
We’ll be talking about this ad nauseam in the late spring/early summer I’m sure. But I wonder if he signs an 8 year deal or takes the Auston Matthews path of taking shorter term deals and bending his team over with each deal.

KD seems to be pretty contract savvy however so I’m not too worried about it.
if there's one contract you don't mind getting bent over on it's bedard's. obviously you'd prefer not getting bent over, but at least with bedard it wouldn't feel so bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad