NHL and NHLPA launches Player Inclusion Coalition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yes they did.

Let people sit out. Put the onus on the players instead of creating a safe space for their decision.

That would take effort and courage. So naturally, the NHL goes the opposite direction.

Well ya. What's the point of immigrating if you're not going to join in on the culture you're moving to be in? I would hardly call learning a local sport as assimilating though.

Why would immigrants who want to play hockey would have to be forced to assimilate into the terrible hockey culture?

Reactions: Machinehead

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This is the way. Show support but keep it off the ice. Everything else too. I'll support the military in other ways thanks. Nothing but hockey please. No anthems even. None of it belongs, it's just a hockey game. Almost no one is interested in this other stuff. We turn to sports and entertainment for a brief reprieve from worldly troubles. There are plenty of other avenues to grieve, honour and celebrate...things.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
If you believe hockey culture is terrible, why would any kid from any background choose it as a career?

To destroy the old boys club mentality in the sport? I don't know. I can't really answer that.

But it's no secret that hockey culture demands conformity, and suppresses individualism.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Again... Getting an interest in hockey should be at least considered to be some kind of assimilation for most immigrants, the same way me getting a sudden interest in cricket should I be moving to the Bahamas should be considered as such.
Sure. I agree on that point. It's just that I think "assimilation" regarding immigrants can be a pretty loaded word and often regards to more serious things than getting a fondness for hockey.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
No one should have a problem with this.

It has nothing to do with those stupid jersey nights. This is a good thing for the NHL. Being able to market the sport to other communities is a perfect way to grow the game.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Unfortunately, the cynical part of me thinks this is more grandstanding and PR-related than actually seeing forward-moving action being put in place. But hopefully I am proven wrong.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Unfortunately, the cynical part of me thinks this is more grandstanding and PR-related than actually seeing forward-moving action being put in place. But hopefully I am proven wrong.
I mean, it demonstrates that hockey is pretty darned diverse. LOL. You have, white Americans, black Americans, black Canadians, native Americans, native Canadians, Cuban-Americans, Flipino-Canadians, etc. all represented. That doesn't include that large number of Europeans.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
This seems silly, forced, and like pointless self-congratulation about how inclusive everyone involved is.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes they did.

Let people sit out. Put the onus on the players instead of creating a safe space for their decision.

Well I dont think it would've been a good idea to go after players who decided to sit out for personal & religious reasons.

& I'm sure you also know a certain group of people online and in the media went after said players for making their own decisions. Which was dumb because last time I checked, the US & Canada are free countries.

Shouldn't of gotten rid of the hockey fights cancer & military appreciation jerseys tho.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
To destroy the old boys club mentality in the sport? I don't know. I can't really answer that.

But it's no secret that hockey culture demands conformity, and suppresses individualism.
Destroy the old one by building another one. :laugh:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well I dont think it would've been a good idea to go after players who decided to sit out for personal & religious reasons.

& I'm sure you also know a certain group of people online and in the media went after said players for making their own decisions. Which was dumb because last time I checked, the US & Canada are free countries.

Shouldn't of gotten rid of the hockey fights cancer & military appreciation jerseys tho.
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you say whatever you want without repercussions. It means you can't be prosecuted for it.

If players sit out, that's their decision, and their obligation to deal with the backlash for making their opinions public. If people do go after them for their opinions, those folks are just as free to voice their displeasure.

The league is taking sides by protecting these players above and beyond what natural rights in the United States and Canada cover.

Reactions: Beau Knows

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I mean, it demonstrates that hockey is pretty darned diverse. LOL. You have, white Americans, black Americans, black Canadians, native Americans, native Canadians, Cuban-Americans, Flipino-Canadians, etc. all represented. That doesn't include that large number of Europeans.
The goal isn't diversity, its the excuse to exclude one particular group.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you say whatever you want without repercussions. It means you can't be prosecuted for it.

If players sit out, that's their decision, and their obligation to deal with the backlash for making their opinions public. If people do go after them for their opinions, those folks are just as free to voice their displeasure.

The league is taking sides by protecting these players above and beyond what natural rights in the United States and Canada cover.
Persecution by proxy is still persecution.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

There is no need for people to attack players because they dont want to participate in an event due to it being in conflict with their religious beliefs.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Persecution by proxy is still persecution.
I said you can't be prosecuted.

You absolutely can be persecuted.

People have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the major freedoms and natural rights actually are.

The first amendment bans the outright outlawing of a religion and the closing of religious establishments.

If people think you're a shitty person for doing something for religious reasons? That's allowed. People thinking your religion is trash altogether? Allowed. Your job disciplining you because your religious practices clearly go against their terms and conditions? Allowed. Specific religious practices can even be banned if they're otherwise illegal.

Your right is to observe whatever religion you want. You don't have the legal right to do and say whatever your want on the basis that it's your belief.

The league isn't protecting rights, it's taking sides.
There is no need for people to attack players because they dont want to participate in an event due to it being in conflict with their religious beliefs.
That's your opinion.

My opinion is that the league shouldn't protect them if they decide to act on their personal beliefs.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

The NHL went with the nuclear option because there really wasn't an alternative. If they banned pride night jerseys and left the rest it would have mushroomed into an even bigger mess.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
All must be Connor McDavid plus all diverse things or else capow NHL, into the root cellar of evil reputations you go forever. :pout:

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
So Immigrants should just assimilate. Gotcha.

Immigrants tends to assimilate to whatever country they move to over time without anyone forcing them to do so. What happens is that traditions that they brought with them from their old country will become less and less important with each passing generation.

Walpurgisnacht is a big deal in several of the major european countries, but when i've spoken with friends from the U.S they think i'm casting a god damn spell or something and many of them have a surname similar to mine. They have been "americanized" and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad