NHL and NHLPA launches Player Inclusion Coalition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You bring up some good points. I'd like to touch on the last one. I remember when I played my Midget youth hockey (in Southern California, 1991-1993), it was at a different rink where I played Bantams. On my Midget team we had people from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds. I remember there being Filipino's, Armenians, Koreans, African Americans, Hispanics and Caucasian. I couldn't tell you how far these kids all went on to play, but my point is, the team wasn't primarily white.
That's fair. There are definately some pockets of this country (and Canada) where there is much more diversity in those that play.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The game has become too expensive for many kids to play. It's more and more a rich person's game. For the great majority of black, brown and/or poor people it's pretty nearly impossible to keep a kid in equipment as they grow......and to play for a team in a league you just pile on the costs and if the team travels even more so. That's not even getting at the social/cultural issues which often enough aren't exactly warm and inviting to those who might be seen as 'different'.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
That shit is all worthless .. its a bunch of grandstanding.

If they really want to include more in the game they'd put their money where their mouth is and start putting rinks in inner cities and having an equipment program.. get on the ground and do the work instead of the bitching and moaning and frivolous "innovatives"

As long as people continue to reward the appearance of caring, the corporations will do nothing more than appear to care.

It’s always about money.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'm skeptical that building rinks and funding youth programs in disadvantaged areas would get kids, especially the athletically gifted ones with a remote chance of an NHL career payoff that this initiative presumably desires, off the basketball courts and football fields, and onto the ice.

In terms of sports culture, this is a square peg / round hole situation.

PK

Jul 11, 2022
NHL should concentrate their efforts on their key geographic. Others will mostly always prefer basketball, football or soccer. Because why wouldn’t they? They need to try to keep the people where history and tradition is on the hockey’s side. Diversity is a fake virtue. They want everything, they’ll have nothing.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Aug 3, 2010
I'm skeptical that building rinks and funding youth programs in disadvantaged areas would get kids, especially the athletically gifted ones with a remote chance of an NHL career payoff that this initiative presumably desires, off the basketball courts and football fields, and onto the ice.

In terms of sports culture, this is a square peg / round hole situation.
OK - and if you don't build it, how many kids do you think would participate then?

NHL should concentrate their efforts on their key geographic. Others will mostly always prefer basketball, football or soccer. Because why wouldn’t they? They need to try to keep the people where history and tradition is on the hockey’s side. Diversity is a fake virtue. They want everything, they’ll have nothing.
Then they've "had nothing" since the 1967 expansion including the California Seals, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota North Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and St. Louis Blues, the first expansion since the Original 6 era and into non-traditional markets.

56 years later...

holy

Demigod
May 22, 2017
Would be cool to see some underdog type stories come out of letting poorer people play hockey.

We’ll see though feel like hockey culture is pretty snobby in general, but still, doesn’t hurt to get more people playing in general.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

And what's that, rural Saskatchewan? Even there the population is becoming increasingly diverse, especially Asian. Hockey will either reflect that or shrink, tackling the cost issue alone is not enough to preserve the current standing of the game anywhere.

PK

Jul 11, 2022
And what's that, rural Saskatchewan? Even there the population is becoming increasingly diverse, especially Asian. Hockey will either reflect that or shrink, tackling the cost issue alone is not enough to preserve the current standing of the game anywhere.
If the population in a hockey area becomes more diverse, it’s not necessarily an issue. Local tradition can still be a plus for hockey even regarding immigrants.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Speaking as a European how does a really physical sport count towards incurance? Hockey is a pretty dangerous sport after all and i don't really know if a insurance company would try to weasel their way out paying.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Speaking as a European how does a really physical sport count towards incurance? Hockey is a pretty dangerous sport after all and i don't really know if a insurance company would try to weasel their way out paying.

All I can tell you is that when I was a kid I was covered under my parents insurance and there was never any questions about what I was doing to get hurt. They just paid. I'm not sure if all companies are like that or not.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
So Immigrants should just assimilate. Gotcha.
I mean... Getting to hockey could be considered some kind of assimilation.

Not super relevant in Canada. Could be different in the US.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Doubt it would be any different than American football.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
People here at hfboards complain (correctly) about the NHL still being largely run by an old boys club that is increasingly out of touch. They also complain (also correctly) that the NHL marketing and outreach efforts are usually dated and cringey.

So the NHL and NHLPA have an initiative to improve community outreach through grassroots programs and get some new voices in the room instead of the same recycled retired hockey players, yet people here immediately condemn it?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
People here at hfboards complain (correctly) about the NHL still being largely run by an old boys club that is increasingly out of touch. They also complain (also correctly) that the NHL marketing and outreach efforts are usually dated and cringey.

So the NHL and NHLPA have an initiative to improve community outreach through grassroots programs and get some new voices in the room instead of the same recycled retired hockey players, yet people here immediately condemn it?

Important to note that the intersection of the groups described by your first paragraph and your second paragraph is quite small.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Well ya. What's the point of immigrating if you're not going to join in on the culture you're moving to be in? I would hardly call learning a local sport as assimilating though.
The opportunity for a better life for you and your family?

Immigrating doesn't necessarily mean you need to take on the culture you're moving to.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
I'm all for projects aiming to improve inclusion, but zero European representatives in a league that is more than a quarter European does look funny.
Well, I'm guessing this will be mainly a U.S. focused program with a lot of work done in the off-season. And most European players go home over the summer, so that may be why no one volunteered.

Oh and I was curious so I looked it up. Europeans only make up 22 percent of the NHL. Unless you include Russians as Europeans. They make up 5.6 percent. But I don't think they'll be participating in any "diversity" programs any time soon.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The opportunity for a better life for you and your family?

Immigrating doesn't necessarily mean you need to take on the culture you're moving to.
Again... Getting an interest in hockey should be at least considered to be some kind of assimilation for most immigrants, the same way me getting a sudden interest in cricket should I be moving to the Bahamas should be considered as such.

Last edited:

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I'm cynical by nature, but someone convince me this isn't just a complete grift

Seems like just a front for PK Subban and George Laraque to go to fancy fundraisers and drink champagne with bigwigs, followed by some nominal donation through the coalition to buy equipment for some youth hockey team in downtown Atlanta.

You might remember him for the tasteful brand of advertisement
1687968655590.png

I am not posting the link, find it yourself you perv :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad