Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
they best not have removed in-house multiplayer like they did for FIFA14

playing cooperative online vs with three friends is a great gaming experience

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Just saw that EA's Gamescom press conference is at 4:00AM EST tonight.

anigif_original-grid-image-24663-1376942669-4.gif

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
If Eashl is not in the game, that's 4 pre-orders cancelled. No eashl stuff in the ultimate edition now makes sense if it's not in there. Anyway, ***** this series if there's no eashl. There should be 4 modes on top of play now, normal online and shootout. Be a GM (including connected), Live the Life, HUT, and EASHL. Cut the tournament modes and all that nonsense.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
they best not have removed in-house multiplayer like they did for FIFA14

playing cooperative online vs with three friends is a great gaming experience

My guess is that it wasn't removed, but just not enough time to build the functionality. The old gen games have been reiterated and recycled code. The new ones do not use that code. Meaning they have to rebuild everything. They have to prioritize. No reason it should come in the future though, does not take away money from Company and is a very fun game mode.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
My guess is that it wasn't removed, but just not enough time to build the functionality. The old gen games have been reiterated and recycled code. The new ones do not use that code. Meaning they have to rebuild everything. They have to prioritize. No reason it should come in the future though, does not take away money from Company and is a very fun game mode.

I'd have to assume that they would just push the release date back on the next gen versions if that was the case. They'd risk losing a very large % of player for this year and any goodwill they had among them would be completely erased. As someone who plans on buying it on the One I wouldn't have a problem waiting an extra month to buy it.

CoveRat

Jun 30, 2012
Yup. I'm pretty nervous right now. Not sure how fifa can be so awesome and nhl developers suck.

I have a friend that works for EA in Burnaby and he often reminds me that NHLs budget is tiny in comparison to FIFA. Nothing to do with the quality of programmers. If FIFA sells 2 or 3 or 4x the amount that NHL does (what with South America, Europe, NA etc. buying copies), why invest an equal amount of money into both? They've gotta make money.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
As I said in a previous thread, NBA2K series did the exact same thing. They kept Crew Mode(basically EASHL) only on the previous gen, and did not release it for PS4/One. That has me concerned that EA might do the same thing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Why did they take it out? Or why does that make me concerned that EA might do the same thing?

I'll just answer both.

The version of NBA2K14 that they released for the next gen was very watered down. The graphics/animations/presentation were out of this world, as was the My Career mode. However, it lacked several big features that were available to the previous gen. Some speculation from people that wanted to defend the company was that they simply ran out of the time, and that it will be included in the NBA2K15 for the PS4/One, but when they revealed NBA2K15, they only talked about Crew Mode on the 360/PS3, but never mentioned the One/PS4, which has people pretty convinced they're going to leave it out again.

Some people that are a bit more cynical than I thought that they didn't release Crew Mode for next gen so that they could get the real diehards to buy two copies of the game, one for 360/PS3(for Crew) and one for One/PS4(My player/better graphics). I didn't believe that at the time, but it still looks like they are leaving Crew Mode out of the next gen version, which makes believe it a bit more.

It makes me concerned that EA might do the same thing with the NHL series because there is now a precedent in another series by another developer. They have something to point to when the backlash starts because the NBA2k series is held in such high regard.

I'll wait for official confirmation from EA that EASHL has been removed before I cancel my preorder. I play GM Mode, but not nearly enough to warrant a $65 purchase, especially if it's not drastically different than previous gen version.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'll wait for official confirmation from EA that EASHL has been removed before I cancel my preorder. I play GM Mode, but not nearly enough to warrant a $65 purchase, especially if it's not drastically different than previous gen version.

I'm in the same boat. I've bought my One and if 15 doesn't have EASHL/GMC I will be canceling my pre-order and putting the money toward the Halo MC collection. I could buy it on the 360 but I really don't want to use it anymore and to make matters worse my controller's left thumbstick is broken. :laugh:

I wonder how many people with next gen consoles will be canceling pre-orders? I'd assume 80-90% but maybe that's a bit high?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I've bought my One and if 15 doesn't have EASHL/GMC I will be canceling my pre-order and putting the money toward the Halo MC collection. I could buy it on the 360 but I really don't want to use it anymore and to make matters worse my controller's left thumbstick is broken. :laugh:

I wonder how many people with next gen consoles will be canceling pre-orders? I'd assume 80-90% but maybe that's a bit high?

Yeah, I think that's quite a bit too high. There are people that love HUT, and that's all they play, people that love GM Mode, and that's all they play, versus mode etc. I have no idea about the actual percentage of people, but I think it will be enough for EA to notice. It's the one game mode where(if you play with and against a competent group of players) it actually feels like you're playing hockey. The AI is so bad that playing with and against them is just awful. It's so easy to score, even on the highest difficult, because the defensive AI is clueless. The offensive AI is a bit better(not saying a whole lot), but they are still easy to defend. Only thing that makes winning tougher on the higher difficulties is that just about every decent shot the CPU gets finds the back of the net. They are no smarter, more competent, or more creative on higher difficulties, they just have higher attributes, and your teammates have lower attributes.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
As I said in a previous thread, NBA2K series did the exact same thing. They kept Crew Mode(basically EASHL) only on the previous gen, and did not release it for PS4/One. That has me concerned that EA might do the same thing.

Conversely, FIFA 14 on next-gen still has Pro Clubs which is their version of EASHL.
I know they have a bigger budget & team but still. I think NBA does as well but to a lesser extent.

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
Honestly, so pissed they even made the PS4/XBOX One. I know people that have played both and say that they're not much different than PS3/360 outside of minor graphic changes.

So now, either I waste my money on PS4/XB1, or I have to settle for water-down games because no one will be playing PS3 anymore.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Honestly, so pissed they even made the PS4/XBOX One. I know people that have played both and say that they're not much different than PS3/360 outside of minor graphic changes.

So now, either I waste my money on PS4/XB1, or I have to settle for water-down games because no one will be playing PS3 anymore.

Well all I will say is that there are a lot of opinions out there. I have had PS4 since mid-January. The hardware is quite a bit more powerful than PS3. I think a large portion of criticism comes from the fact that both Microsoft and Sony pushed new hardware out the door way too soon. In fact software developers are still trying to develop games that utilize both systems to their full potential. I believe this fall and this holiday season we will actually begin seeing PS4 and XB1 pull away from their predecessors. Hopefully starting at the end of this month and the beginning of September!!! Madden15, The Golf Club, and most of all NHL15!!!

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I would assume EASHL is in but they've been so quiet about everything other than the presentation overhaul that I'm really not sure. The game comes out in less than a month and they haven't said one word about any of the game modes.

The obvious conclusion is that all game modes have been removed. The game is just presentation. Have fun with Doc and Eddie!

Jacob8hockey*

Nothing wrong with the next gen as the previous gen was close to 10 years old. They got lots of room to work with and over the next 2 years it will be noticed.

I also dont have a next gen console though

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
Nothing wrong with the next gen as the previous gen was close to 10 years old. They got lots of room to work with and over the next 2 years it will be noticed.

I also dont have a next gen console though

I don't think the PS3, for example, needs to be fixed. Who cares how old it is? The graphics are good enough to where I care about gameplay more at this point.

Jacob8hockey*

I don't think the PS3, for example, needs to be fixed. Who cares how old it is? The graphics are good enough to where I care about gameplay more at this point.

To each their own I guess but the potential for games in the future heavily outweighs the previous gen. Its been less than a year for this new generation and the transition takes a bit.

It will really start to take off when they start phasing out games for both generations and focus on the new one.

Falcon63

May 29, 2012
Not too long until consoles hit the diminishing rate of return barrier for graphics IMO.

That's what I'm saying. It's not worth the purchase. Instead of focusing on flashy new features, give us better gameplay for the current-gen games.

Jacob8hockey*

If you guys think that the next gen can only bring new graphics than I can't help you out there.

There are way more things that will be available in the next few years.

@Falcon63, they literally hit their limit with the 360 and PS3. Developers can't do anything more than they already can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad