Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Not in the slightest. 4 million is what 3Cs are going to be paid moving forward. Hell even more in a year or two. Not only that, a lot of teams want physical players that will play with an edge. The Avs wouldn't even be looking to move him without the cap crunch. I'm not sure what people were expecting out of Colton, but it seems like they wanted a 2C.

I hoped for better two-way abilities. And not being THAT streaky and dependent on his line mates (LOC).

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I hoped for better two-way abilities. And not being THAT streaky and dependent on his line mates (LOC).
When you have the guy playing 2C most of the season, that was never going to happen. He's playing competition above his pay grade. The fact that LoC elevated that line so much just speaks volumes for LoC. It doesn't make Colton worse.

Reactions: Bender

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
When you have the guy playing 2C most of the season, that was never going to happen. He's playing competition above his pay grade. The fact that LoC elevated that line so much just speaks volumes for LoC. It doesn't make Colton worse.

I guess. I'm just not a fan of the player. I feel like we need someone who is a great penalty killer and can be trusted to play against other teams top lines every now and then. We don't need a scorer now that we have a decent 2C also.

Reactions: Alienblood

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
When he was put back at 3C after the Mittelstadt trade, he still struggled.

Teams target Colton. They know he's bad defensively. Given the Avs now have Mittelstadt able to take the top line matchups against other teams, it makes it even more imperative to find a defensively responsible 3C instead because coaches will try like hell in the playoffs to avoid 29/37 and attack Colton.

And yes, it speaks volumes to Colton's abilities that the instant LOC went down he looked a lot worse, and it wasn't until a poor man's version in Kiviranta joined the line that he looked ok again. You can't pay a guy 4M to be dependent on a very specific style of player making him effective.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Teams target Colton. They know he's bad defensively. Given the Avs now have Mittelstadt able to take the top line matchups against other teams, it makes it even more imperative to find a defensively responsible 3C instead because coaches will try like hell in the playoffs to avoid 29/37 and attack Colton.

And yes, it speaks volumes to Colton's abilities that the instant LOC went down he looked a lot worse, and it wasn't until a poor man's version in Kiviranta joined the line that he looked ok again. You can't pay a guy 4M to be dependent on a very specific style of player making him effective.

Thanks for putting my thoughts to words. English can be hard for a non-native :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean I don’t think it’s a surprise that Colton’s season tanked after being run at 2C for most of the season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean I don’t think it’s a surprise that Colton’s season tanked after being run at 2C for most of the season.
This just isn't true, though. Go look at his TOI pre and post Mittelstadt trade. Only 19 of 62 games he played more than 15 minutes. MacKinnon is the one who got burned out, not Colton.

If Ross Colton can't even handle that type of minutes allocation then he really has no place on this team making 4M as the 3C.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Yet we are paying Rantanen 9.25M (with a major raise coming soon) and he is incapable of playing without Nate.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Its just gonna be really funny around here if we don't end up moving Colton. Lots of egg on faces.
Well it wouldn't be the first time that frank seravalli has been wrong since losing his house in a bet that Kadri was going to be signing with NYR.

I don't trust that schmuck with his rumors...it's all garbage to drum up click for daily faceoffs.

Let's think back to our last trades :

Byram - Mittelstadt (no real smoke from mainstream media on Byram)
Ryjo - Walker (no real smoke from mainstream media on Ryjo)
Newhook - MTL 1st+2nd (no real smoke from mainstream media on Newhook)
2nd - Colton (no real smoke from mainstream media Avs would be interested in Colton)

The old Pierre Lacroix addage "if I hear it in the media - it's dead" that was passed on to Sakic and now CMac is alive and well. Now there may have been some smoke on some of these players from the media spitballing at some point but it's not like Necas right now where everyone knows he's getting traded somewhere.

I'd be surprised if the Avs moved Colton as he certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list of guys I'd move out to make some room against the cap.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This just isn't true, though. Go look at his TOI pre and post Mittelstadt trade. Only 19 of 62 games he played more than 15 minutes. MacKinnon is the one who got burned out, not Colton.

If Ross Colton can't even handle that type of minutes allocation then he really has no place on this team making 4M as the 3C.
I mean he did handle it for most of the season. He was at or above 50% in FO%, CF%, SF%, GF%, xGF, and SCF%. Overall the guy was a net positive this year, but in the end he was a 3C through and through. Not an elite or high end one, but he was a 3C straight up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well it wouldn't be the first time that frank seravalli has been wrong since losing his house in a bet that Kadri was going to be signing with NYR.

I don't trust that schmuck with his rumors...it's all garbage to drum up click for daily faceoffs.

Let's think back to our last trades :

Byram - Mittelstadt (no real smoke from mainstream media on Byram)
Ryjo - Walker (no real smoke from mainstream media on Ryjo)
Newhook - MTL 1st+2nd (no real smoke from mainstream media on Newhook)
2nd - Colton (no real smoke from mainstream media Avs would be interested in Colton)

The old Pierre Lacroix addage "if I hear it in the media - it's dead" that was passed on to Sakic and now CMac is alive and well. Now there may have been some smoke on some of these players from the media spitballing at some point but it's not like Necas right now where everyone knows he's getting traded somewhere.

I'd be surprised if the Avs moved Colton as he certainly wouldn't be at the top of my list of guys I'd move out to make some room against the cap.
I'm bookmarking this ;)

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean he did handle it for most of the season. He was at or above 50% in FO%, CF%, SF%, GF%, xGF, and SCF%. Overall the guy was a net positive this year, but in the end he was a 3C through and through. Not an elite or high end one, but he was a 3C straight up.
No one is debating him being an average 3C. It's about the role he plays. He isn't good defensively while being decent offensively. Teams target him, so Bednar has to hide him because he does not trust him in matchups.

If all he's going to provide in the playoffs is 4 points in 11 games, a more defensively responsible center can get you that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No one is debating him being an average 3C. It's about the role he plays. He isn't good defensively while being decent offensively. Teams target him, so Bednar has to hide him because he does not trust him in matchups.

If all he's going to provide in the playoffs is 4 points in 11 games, a more defensively responsible center can get you that.
Which the whole discussion comes back to… what do we do with the 3C spot if you move on from Colton? You open up a massive hole if you move him that will not be cheap to fill unless we downgrade him… which is more problematic.

He’s a fine 3C and while he isn’t a major matchup issue down on the 3rd line, is fine enough at his role.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
This is my mindset.
The Avs will be top heavy. No way around this. The good news about being top heavy, is that they pretty much have ideal players in their top heavy spots. With either Drouin or Nuke, they have a pretty ideal top 6. They have great balance in the top 6 Cs. And high quality wingers. I think the top 4 d is well slotted as well.

For me, the last spot is 3C. I like Colton. But imo, he’s an adequate 3C. If the avs are going the top heavy route, they should get ideal.

So spend the necessary assets and get an ideal 3C.

All the remaining positions can be easily added to with middling assets.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This is my mindset.
The Avs will be top heavy. No way around this. The good news about being top heavy, is that they pretty much have ideal players in their top heavy spots. With either Drouin or Nuke, they have a pretty ideal top 6. They have great balance in the top 6 Cs. And high quality wingers. I think the top 4 d is well slotted as well.

For me, the last spot is 3C. I like Colton. But imo, he’s an adequate 3C. If the avs are going the top heavy route, they should get ideal.

So spend the necessary assets and get an ideal 3C.

All the remaining positions can be easily added to with middling assets.
If we’re upgrading the 3C spot we’ll likely be gutting our asset pool. And losing out on cap space.

If we move Colton and downgrade we’re even more top heavy than we were this season and people will be constantly bitching out how bad our bottom 6 is.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Is there an average 3C hitting UFA?

Trading Colton and signing a different type, a little lower end 3C with better defensive ability is smart asset management IMO

Reactions: Bensch88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Buffalo makes a lot of sense. They have cap space, and really need a few guys like Colton mixed into the skill they have in the lineup already.

They also have a wide range of prospects, picks, and other trade scenarios that could make sense for the Avs as well. Guys like Kulich, Ostlund, Savoie, Rosen, Johnson, 2024 1st and 2nd.

I certainly dont think Colton gets a prospect like Savoie straight up, but they have lots of interesting pieces that could be part of a trade for sure.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Which the whole discussion comes back to… what do we do with the 3C spot if you move on from Colton? You open up a massive hole if you move him that will not be cheap to fill unless we downgrade him… which is more problematic.

He’s a fine 3C and while he isn’t a major matchup issue down on the 3rd line, is fine enough at his role.
You find someone in UFA like Roslovic, Wennberg, Blueger, Henrique, or Lafferty depending on who is able and willing to take a contract for 3M or less (because their values vary) and play them on the 3rd line with LOC while being able to bring Drouin back for the top six and in all likelihood don't experience that much of a drop off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad