Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
You find someone in UFA like Roslovic, Wennberg, Blueger, Henrique, or Lafferty depending on who is able and willing to take a contract for 3M or less (because their values vary) and play them on the 3rd line with LOC while being able to bring Drouin back for the top six and in all likelihood don't experience that much of a drop off.

I"m a little drunk (Miami bitchhh) but we're speaking with the same mouth today bro

Buffalo makes a lot of sense. They have cap space, and really need a few guys like Colton mixed into the skill they have in the lineup already.

They also have a wide range of prospects, picks, and other trade scenarios that could make sense for the Avs as well. Guys like Kulich, Ostlund, Savoie, Rosen, Johnson, 2024 1st and 2nd.

I certainly dont think Colton gets a prospect like Savoie straight up, but they have lots of interesting pieces that could be part of a trade for sure.

Ostlund would be GREAT. Not someone who we can pull off by trading Colton tho. Would require a plus.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You find someone in UFA like Roslovic, Wennberg, Blueger, Henrique, or Lafferty depending on who is able and willing to take a contract for 3M or less (because their values vary) and play them on the 3rd line with LOC while being able to bring Drouin back for the top six and in all likelihood don't experience that much of a drop off.
Paying Blueger or Lafferty 3mil to be the 3C over ~4 years would be.... dumb and not remotely worth the ~1mil in cap savings. Colton is a problem putting up 4pts in 12 playoff games, but Wennberg and his 2 in 16 wouldn't be a problem? Henrique is getting a regrettable contract... unless Edmonton loses tomorrow and maybe he cup chases. But even then the dudes 34. And we think Colton should be a better two way guy so we'd replace him with noted defensive stalwart... Jack Roslovic?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Paying Blueger or Lafferty 3mil to be the 3C over ~4 years would be.... dumb and not remotely worth the ~1mil in cap savings. Colton is a problem putting up 4pts in 12 playoff games, but Wennberg and his 2 in 16 wouldn't be a problem? Henrique is getting a regrettable contract... unless Edmonton loses tomorrow and maybe he cup chases. But even then the dudes 34. And we think Colton should be a better two way guy so we'd replace him with noted defensive stalwart... Jack Roslovic?
3M or less.

The whole purpose is to save money on Colton while not all that severely downgrading in quality because the center would be paired with LOC, who is the real driver of the 3rd line.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Anything the Avs do will be a gamble. There's no risk free path at this point with Nuke/Landy.

If the Avs think they can find a 3C that's cheaper/a better fit and that's the best roll of the dice than I'm fine with it. People act like it's impossible for players to perform better in different situations. It's entirely possible you can find a 3C that fits better and performs better. Just like it's possible it blows up in your face. Getting assets for Colton is better than losing Drouin for nothing IMO.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
3M or less.

The whole purpose is to save money on Colton while not all that severely downgrading in quality because the center would be paired with LOC, who is the real driver of the 3rd line.
You aren’t getting any of those guys for less than 3. And with Blueger and Lafferty you’re downgrading a lot. With Roslovic and Wennberg you’re spending the ~same money for at minimum equally flawed players.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
3M or less.

Yup. And we also gain assets by trading Colton. Assets we can use at the next TDL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
3M or less.

I really like LOC, but not that long ago we were all talking about him not being able to stay effective playing third line minutes.

I think he's getting a little overrated personally as someone who drives a third line.

That being said, I don't think Colton is the right 3C going forward, and he is definitely not staying as a winger.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Anything the Avs do will be a gamble. There's no risk free path at this point with Nuke/Landy.

If the Avs think they can find a 3C that's cheaper/a better fit and that's the best roll of the dice than I'm fine with it. People act like it's impossible for players to perform better in different situations. It's entirely possible you can find a 3C that fits better and performs better. Just like it's possible it blows up in your face. Getting assets for Colton is better than losing Drouin for nothing IMO.
I just think it’s hard to justify moving Colton just cause. Sure he isn’t a high end 3C, no one’s arguing that. But either you’re saving 1mil to have a far worse fit there that makes the team even more top heavy than it is right now. Or your gutting the asset pool to get a better cheaper option, which I’m not opposed to but good look finding one of those.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I really like LOC, but not that long ago we were all talking about him not being able to stay effective playing third line minutes.

I think he's getting a little overrated personally as someone who drives a third line.

That being said, I don't think Colton is the right 3C going forward, and he is definitely not staying as a winger.
I also think some might be underestimating the impact LOC's surgery might have on him next season...didn't he have the same hip surgery that Wood and other players have said takes at least a year to fully recover from after returning...?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I also think some might be underestimating the impact LOC's surgery might have on him next season...didn't he have the same hip surgery that Wood and other players have said takes at least a year to fully recover from after returning...?

Yep... He should be back on the 4th line next year. But unless Kovalenko really impresses I dont think that will happen.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just think it’s hard to justify moving Colton just cause. Sure he isn’t a high end 3C, no one’s arguing that. But either you’re saving 1mil to have a far worse fit there that makes the team even more top heavy than it is right now. Or your gutting the asset pool to get a better cheaper option, which I’m not opposed to but good look finding one of those.

One thing I wonder, why all of the sudden is it Colton and not Manson being talked about?

If a forward has to go, I get it, but Manson's not Adam Foote. Or is he pretty much now? They keep chosing to keep him.

Have they decided Manson's health won't be an issue moving forward, and now are looking at the 3C slot as something to pay up for instead of a #4RD?

Is a 3C going to be easier to get than a top four D at the TDL every year? The choice here is interesting that's for sure.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yep... He should be back on the 4th line next year. But unless Kovalenko really impresses I dont think that will happen.

Yeah, I get he is important, but him being on the third line seems like a sign of the depth issues. LOC and Cogs are both guys that get burnt out playing up, but can on occasion. I'm not even sure how much Cogs has left in the tank either.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Yeah, I get he is important, but him being on the third line seems like a sign of the depth issues. LOC and Cogs are both guys that get burnt out playing up, but can on occasion. I'm not even sure how much Cogs has left in the tank either.
Cogs retired and is taking a front office job scouting and development

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You aren’t getting any of those guys for less than 3. And with Blueger and Lafferty you’re downgrading a lot. With Roslovic and Wennberg you’re spending the ~same money for at minimum equally flawed players.
I don't believe you're downgrading all that much from Colton to Bleuger/Lafferty. Yes, you're downgrading offensively but you are upgrading defensively. It's a different style of player.

I don't think he's overrated at all. He scored at a 36 point pace while being very good defensively and out best penalty killer. There's a reason why Colton and Wood started to look a hell of a lot better with him, then a hell of a lot worse without him.

Is he preferred on the 4th line? Of course, but the team has depth issues already so he's more than likely playing 3rd line next season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't believe you're downgrading all that much from Colton to Bleuger/Lafferty. Yes, you're downgrading offensively but you are upgrading defensively. It's a different style of player.

I don't think he's overrated at all. He scored at a 36 point pace while being very good defensively and out best penalty killer. There's a reason why Colton and Wood started to look a hell of a lot better with him, then a hell of a lot worse without him.

Is he preferred on the 4th line? Of course, but the team has depth issues already so he's more than likely playing 3rd line next season.

True, but ideally he's running the 4th line in the playoffs. I think he's just someone else Bednar is going to burn out personally. Which is also why I agree with moving Colton, because without a center Bednar trusts shit like that will just continue.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If we’re upgrading the 3C spot we’ll likely be gutting our asset pool. And losing out on cap space.

If we move Colton and downgrade we’re even more top heavy than we were this season and people will be constantly bitching out how bad our bottom 6 is.
How would we be more top heavy?

You’re moving Colton out for an asset. Use that asset and one or two more to get the ideal 3C. I didn’t say get the most expensive one cap-wise. Get the best you can. Get retention, or target a guy making less.

We would be in no different a situation. We’d have a few less assets in the org. But we’d have an ideal center rotation, and a fantastic top 9.

If we’re moving Colton, I don’t agree with downgrading. Nowhere in my post did I suggest to downgrade. I meant for the Avs to do the opposite. Because like it or not, we’re no longer going to be a team with great depth. So we might as well embrace the top heavy nature of our team, and simply target the best players we can get for the most important positions. 3C for me is the position that I find is important and isn’t ideally taken care of.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
How would we be more top heavy?

You’re moving Colton out for an asset. Use that asset and one or two more to get the ideal 3C. I didn’t say get the most expensive one cap-wise. Get the best you can. Get retention, or target a guy making less.

We would be in no different a situation. We’d have a few less assets in the org. But we’d have an ideal center rotation, and a fantastic top 9.

If we’re moving Colton, I don’t agree with downgrading. Nowhere in my post did I suggest to downgrade. I meant for the Avs to do the opposite. Because like it or not, we’re no longer going to be a team with great depth. So we might as well embrace the top heavy nature of our team, and simply target the best players we can get for the most important positions. 3C for me is the position that I find is important and isn’t ideally taken care of.

Yeah I think we're seeing why Tampa didn't invest long term in Colton. He just isn't a line driver. I still think it was a worthy gamble. If he was a bit smarter he'd be a steal.

I like the JGP idea.

With that being said we're not going to have the assets to do the same thing at defense if Manson falls off a cliff.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
One thing I wonder, why all of the sudden is it Colton and not Manson being talked about?

If a forward has to go, I get it, but Manson's not Adam Foote. Or is he pretty much now? They keep chosing to keep him.

Have they decided Manson's health won't be an issue moving forward, and now are looking at the 3C slot as something to pay up for instead of a #4RD?

Is a 3C going to be easier to get than a top four D at the TDL every year? The choice here is interesting that's for sure.

I agree from a value standpoint, now would be the time to sell on Manson.

But comparing the two, Manson is just a bigger part of the team, flat out. Over 20 minutes per night in the playoffs, big PK minutes. I know he can be an adventure sometimes (read: often), but he adds an element to the back end. I think if you lose him, he has to be replaced with someone similar, who may cost even more than he does ($4.5M).

On the other hand, Colton's role kept shrinking as the year went on. He wasn't used on the PK at all after October, and his ice time actually went down in the playoffs (13:43 -> 13:01). It was even lower if you remove the 2OT game against Dallas (12:14); that's near where he was around the final 15 regular season games (12:03).

In other words, Colton was really more of a depth player later in the year moreso than a guy they were relying on. He was the only bottom-6 player not PKing, and his offense dried up. Colorado might be looking at it thinking "40 points was good, but it might be closer to 30 next year" with Colton having less opportunity due to Johansen being replaced by Mittelstadt.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree from a value standpoint, now would be the time to sell on Manson.

But comparing the two, Manson is just a bigger part of the team, flat out. Over 20 minutes per night in the playoffs, big PK minutes. I know he can be an adventure sometimes (read: often), but he adds an element to the back end. I think if you lose him, he has to be replaced with someone similar, who may cost even more than he does ($4.5M).

On the other hand, Colton's role kept shrinking as the year went on. He wasn't used on the PK at all after October, and his ice time actually went down in the playoffs (13:43 -> 13:01). It was even lower if you remove the 2OT game against Dallas (12:14); that's near where he was around the final 15 regular season games (12:03).

In other words, Colton was really more of a depth player later in the year moreso than a guy they were relying on. He was the only bottom-6 player not PKing, and his offense dried up. Colorado might be looking at it thinking "40 points was good, but it might be closer to 30 next year" with Colton having less opportunity due to Johansen being replaced by Mittelstadt.

I see the logic for sure, if you can actually upgrade that 3C slot and get the defense into the playoffs healthy you have a real shot.

Reactions: shadow1

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
3M or less.

Please give examples of players making 3M or less that aren't significant downgrades to Colton? 3C don't typically make 3M or less unless they are mediocre or are on ELCs.

If we do end up trading Colton, we will more than likely be significantly downgrading at 3C, unless they feel Ritchie can handle it starting next season and he exceeds expectations.

Reactions: Avs44

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm still far more interested in what they do with Nichushkin.

He's obviously a really good player, quite frankly elite, when he's playing. But at this point that trust has to be broken between he and the Avs.

There's a few contracts around the league that are probably bad contracts but at least give you decent players that you can at least rely upon to be around when things matter.

For example, Jarry could probably be had for "free" right now. Skinner and Kotkaniemi are buyout candidates and/or trade candidates. Laine.

Would the Avs consider trading Nuke in some sort of deal for one of these guys? Obviously on a Skinner or Laine you'd want retention. But for the other teams, they'd get to move a contract they want to move, and get a guy in return that has a chance to have a real impact for them if he can clean it up off the ice. Could be a risk worth taking for another team, and if he doesn't clean himself up, his next strike could be his last one and then his contract is terminated and you're off the hook.

But like... Nichushkin for Laine @50% retention, would either team do it? Or Buffalo with Skinner @50% retention for Nuke. Or something like Nuke + Georgiev for Jarry + Smith(@50%).

Does either team make those type of moves. The PLD trade earlier and with supposedly other teams interested in PLD suggests to me there's an appetite for teams to take on these high risk/high reward players right now.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maybe Blueger... But even then statistically they're pretty similar defensively.

Lafferty isn't really a C. Definitely not a 3C, and is noticeably worse offensively and defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad