***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 7)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Want the perfect example as to how gd lazy EA is? In Be a GM, when it shows the list of players retiring, Winnipeg is still at the top of the list. You know, where Atlanta would have been two years ago.

Anyways I have some questions about potential. Are the star ratings set in stone? Like could somebody with 2 stars of potential ever become 3 stars of potential, or are the stars their max ceiling? Can the colour of the stars ever change?

The color of the stars does change, but I've never seen a player gain or lose stars. Once a player has reached his potential, the yellow/green/red stars become white. I think I've also seen a player with 4 yellow stars change to 4 red stars before, but it's very rare. Potential is pretty weird this year...I like that some players become busts and others become superstars, but I don't like that it seems to be completely random. It seems as if playing time has little to no effect on how players develop. You can give a guy first line minutes and he'll put up 70 points but only go from a 71 to a 72, while the 65 overall guy on the fourth line jumps up to a 77 overall.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Ok I've had the game a couple of days and although I think some of the new features are great I'm really struggling to love it.
For my first game I stuck it on Rookie and did a Canucks vs Oilers game. It was way too easy, I won 10-1 and probably could have had more had I not decided to try and injure Taylor Hall in the 3rd period.
Stuck it on Pro expecting it to be like NHL12 and went into GM mode, lost my first 3 games and only managed to score 1 goal total.
I went out of it again and thought I'd just practice so I've done probably 20 games against teams like Chicago and lost every single one, each time I have struggled to score despite trying literally everything I can think of (From the points, cycling, cross-crease, hitting the net etc etc) and then Luongo goes and lets in ridiculously cheap goals.

I even just did a game against a really weak team (HC Ambri-Piotta) and just about managed to win 4-3 in Overtime despite outshooting them 40-6 and completely controlling the game. Luongo let in two from point shots where he actually moved out of the way (no-one screening) and one from a cross crease pass that bounced off his pads and went in.
I honestly think I am going to go back to NHL12 until they fix this. I don't mind the tough to score on netminders for the other team but I wish it would be equal.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Want the perfect example as to how gd lazy EA is? In Be a GM, when it shows the list of players retiring, Winnipeg is still at the top of the list. You know, where Atlanta would have been two years ago.

Anyways I have some questions about potential. Are the star ratings set in stone? Like could somebody with 2 stars of potential ever become 3 stars of potential, or are the stars their max ceiling? Can the colour of the stars ever change?
The color can change, but he wont get more stars. But as he ages, his potential stars and stats start to decrease (For ex. from 4 white stars to 3 white stars)

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
Speaking of stars, I've seen someone get fully scouted at white 4 stars, then turn out to be 4 and 1/2 stars.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Came across a weird glitch yesterday. Playing as the Jackets vs the Red Wings. Home game for the Jackets. The arena had the center ice Jackets logo, but the center red line was that which is in the Stars arena, as well as green dashers and fans wearing stars jerseys. It was a combo of Jackets and Stars arenas. Very strange.

Fleury4ever

Mar 20, 2011
Washington, DC
The hitting/checking is completely messed up! I can't be the only one right?

The CPU knocks my guys over so easily, from awkward positions, but I'll only put one guy on his butt per game...

Please tell me this is viewed as an issue that needs to be fixed.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

The CPU knocks my guys over so easily, from awkward positions, but I'll only put one guy on his butt per game...

I just picked up the game and I'm always the one falling to the ice when I make a hit. I prefer Nhl 12.

Fleury4ever

Mar 20, 2011
Washington, DC
I just picked up the game and I'm always the one falling to the ice when I make a hit. I prefer Nhl 12.

I think all of the changes were needed. The game had to be more random, be tougher to get out of your own zone, etc. The skating should also help goalies be more realistic if they do it right.

But they need to be tweaking the **** of this game over the first couple months. Hitting has got to be fixed, the sliders are clearly broken, it's a systemic issue. It also undoes something they tried to fix last year, which is counterproductive.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Getting increasingly annoyed at the game.

Gameplay by itself is great and once you get into a game, I like it alot. But it's the "unfinished" feel of the game that I don't like, a lot of bugs.

- Lose connection with EA servers often
- Multiple problems with HUT (disappearing trade cards, not getting pucks, not finding opponents -> game freezing)
- Slooooow GM Conn. menu
- Can't modify players
- Can't permanently change lines for online play
- Can't set strategy for HUT team, always have to input them before every game
+ loads of other, smaller technical glitches

Blah, better just to stick with the offline play

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
Question for the GM connected Commish's here. I am going to be starting my first one for just a couple of friends so basically 4 User teams and the rest are CPU run.

My question is when i start the league can i adjust the settings and they take effect for all of the user teams? So if i increase the passing speed does it lock it in for all of the users or can each user modify their own to fit their style? If so how does that affect when you play head to head?

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Getting increasingly annoyed at the game.

Gameplay by itself is great and once you get into a game, I like it alot. But it's the "unfinished" feel of the game that I don't like, a lot of bugs.

- Lose connection with EA servers often
- Multiple problems with HUT (disappearing trade cards, not getting pucks, not finding opponents -> game freezing)
- Slooooow GM Conn. menu
- Can't modify players
- Can't permanently change lines for online play
- Can't set strategy for HUT team, always have to input them before every game
+ loads of other, smaller technical glitches

Blah, better just to stick with the offline play

I really don't have a lot of complaints about this game and HIGHLY prefer it over 12 but this is spot on..

Gotten a few losses after joining an OFFLINE HUT game and losing connection to servers..

Have had MULTIPLE cards disappear on me after I won them or sent them to trade pile or collection..

Gotten loses for wins...

You finally have Import AI but not for HUT, people quit out if you try to do it before the game...which frustrates me so I have to set it when I get into the game..WHY CANT YOU HAVE IT IMPORTED INTO HUT AND SET FOR DIFFERENT LINEUPS!?!

GM Connected is the slowest **** ever, totally unacceptable.

You finally get matched up with people playing your tournament online now but if you can't find someone similar chances are you match up with some 5 star beast team when your playing the CHL tourny. That **** pisses me off to no end since you can't see lineups anymore. I'd rather not find a game, than play someone stacked outside of my tourny requirements.

Overall I LOVE 13...and like it 100% more than I liked 12....but theres so many little things that add up to piss me off....which atleast 85% of them could be fixed...but won't be. EA really does need some competition again so they can ****in step their game up.

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Question for the GM connected Commish's here. I am going to be starting my first one for just a couple of friends so basically 4 User teams and the rest are CPU run.

My question is when i start the league can i adjust the settings and they take effect for all of the user teams? So if i increase the passing speed does it lock it in for all of the users or can each user modify their own to fit their style? If so how does that affect when you play head to head?

Its just like online (VS/HUT etc) I believe...you can't adjust sliders

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
The first couple days of the game playing EASHL was amazing. Now playing it more and more it seems ny computer AI teammates are back to being garbage. I don't know if it has anything to do with the strategies or what? Anyone else having a problem like this?

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem

of all the teams I faced, Vancouver is the dirtiest and most physical when I play them. Hitting is just so messed up.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
during the playoffs, we were 30 seconds away from our 2nd win(pretty easy win) and all of a sudden everyone on our team (5 players) lost connection and the other team got the W and we got knocked out...

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Apparently the hit power sliders are reversed. So CPU hit power is actually the slider for human hit power and vice versa.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but in gameplay settings, the sliders for human and AI "hitting power" are reversed. I tested it out and can say that it is definitely true, at least on PS3. So that means increasing "human" hitting power actually increases the CPU hitting power and vice versa.

-edit- what Reign Nateo said!

Xia

Mar 9, 2011
Toronto
I really like it, I gave up on playing online though. The only thing I was really interested in online was GM Connected but it seems way too unfinished to enjoy. The menu's are incredibly slow, and the Commissioner never seems to be able to tell if the other users have played all their games, so me and my two buddies would constantly miss out on games that were just simmed through.

Otherwise, I really like it. I've been running offline Be a GM and I'm almost near the playoffs in my first season. I haven't had many problems that people here have mentioned. I think the excessive injuries has to go with simming games, I only simmed once and had two players out for a week to a month. Other than that, if you give all four lines fair ice time, you should be able to avoid injuries. I haven't had any really good players pop up on waivers either, don't know what that's about but like I said, only on my first season and I try to play every game.

I like everything about the on ice play, it's far from perfect, but it's definently my favorite hockey video game to date.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Ok I've had the game a couple of days and although I think some of the new features are great I'm really struggling to love it.
For my first game I stuck it on Rookie and did a Canucks vs Oilers game. It was way too easy, I won 10-1 and probably could have had more had I not decided to try and injure Taylor Hall in the 3rd period.
Stuck it on Pro expecting it to be like NHL12 and went into GM mode, lost my first 3 games and only managed to score 1 goal total.
I went out of it again and thought I'd just practice so I've done probably 20 games against teams like Chicago and lost every single one, each time I have struggled to score despite trying literally everything I can think of (From the points, cycling, cross-crease, hitting the net etc etc) and then Luongo goes and lets in ridiculously cheap goals.

I even just did a game against a really weak team (HC Ambri-Piotta) and just about managed to win 4-3 in Overtime despite outshooting them 40-6 and completely controlling the game. Luongo let in two from point shots where he actually moved out of the way (no-one screening) and one from a cross crease pass that bounced off his pads and went in.
I honestly think I am going to go back to NHL12 until they fix this. I don't mind the tough to score on netminders for the other team but I wish it would be equal.

if you want to score in 13, just take random wrist shots. actual hockey plays rarely work (EA decided adding good CPU AI and superhuman goalies together was a good idea, apparently) but the CPU can shoot from anywhere in the zone and have a better chance of scoring. i played the demo, didn't like it much, went back to 12. Just upped the ability of CPU defenders so one timers/cross creasing isn't unstoppable. but unlike in 13, actual plays based on good passing, cycling, puck movement, etc have a higher chance of creating goals in 12 than a weak wrist shot from the point.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
if you want to score in 13, just take random wrist shots. actual hockey plays rarely work (EA decided adding good CPU AI and superhuman goalies together was a good idea, apparently) but the CPU can shoot from anywhere in the zone and have a better chance of scoring. i played the demo, didn't like it much, went back to 12. Just upped the ability of CPU defenders so one timers/cross creasing isn't unstoppable. but unlike in 13, actual plays based on good passing, cycling, puck movement, etc have a higher chance of creating goals in 12 than a weak wrist shot from the point.

Yeah, making the AI defence and human poke-check much better was enough, you should still get rewarded and able to do a cross-crease if you can get a Dman out of position and get a 2 on 1 or pass back to an unmarked trailer in the slot. You know, like real life. But EA has completely thrown the concept of actual realistic hockey out of the window.

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
played a game where the guy scored 2 glitch goals (Kopitar pull back and wrist shot from the point (no screen, nothing) and him constantly shooting from the circle) and then for a half of period he just held the puck in his D zone doing nothing. You know wasting the clock away.

Is there anyway I can report those kind of players? Had to quit and take the loss because of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad