***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 7)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
The best part about this game are that the goalies give up rebounds on good shots and don't just soak up everything like the games before. What's wrong with cycling and getting it to the open man or banging in rebounds? What hockey plays are you trying to make that don't work in this game? Lastly, my goalies aren't letting in weak goals. Fact is, I don't even give up a lot of shots because I'm usually crushing the **** of the puck carrier at and just after the blue line. That's one of the other things I really love about this game. It's a hitter's hitting game. If you are good at lining people up, you love that about this game.

***Seriously though, what are you people talking about with "hockey plays" that don't work?
Please don't tell me:
-Cross-crease
-One touch deke
-Ever so sligtly moving your right stick, letting go and ripping it for a sure goal
-Shots from just inside the blue line near the boards that go right past the goalie

Those are not hockey plays.

This is what they are talking about, people are mad they can't do the cross crease over and over and over again to score. Honestly, if thats the way you want to play fine you can, play EASHL and play with a human goalie and against a human goalie. Otherwise continue to play versus and bang your head against the wall attempting to feed the perfect pass through the slot that will most likely be saved anyway.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The best part about this game are that the goalies give up rebounds on good shots and don't just soak up everything like the games before. What's wrong with cycling and getting it to the open man or banging in rebounds? What hockey plays are you trying to make that don't work in this game? Lastly, my goalies aren't letting in weak goals. Fact is, I don't even give up a lot of shots because I'm usually crushing the **** of the puck carrier at and just after the blue line. That's one of the other things I really love about this game. It's a hitter's hitting game. If you are good at lining people up, you love that about this game.

***Seriously though, what are you people talking about with "hockey plays" that don't work?
Please don't tell me:
-Cross-crease
-One touch deke
-Ever so sligtly moving your right stick, letting go and ripping it for a sure goal
-Shots from just inside the blue line near the boards that go right past the goalie

How is a "cross crease" pass (which is normally a pass from one side of the goaltender to the other) not a hockey play?

The ability for defenders to break up passes makes that play harder, so there is no reason for a goalie to be able to spiderman across the net for a sure save every time. If anything, they should have made it harder for a player with low offensive ability to finish off a play like that instead of making it easier for a tendy to make a sprawling save on it.

Goaltenders were too easy to score on in 12, yes. But now they are too difficult to score on in 13.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
How is a "cross crease" pass (which is normally a pass from one side of the goaltender to the other) not a hockey play?

The ability for defenders to break up passes makes that play harder, so there is no reason for a goalie to be able to spiderman across the net for a sure save every time. If anything, they should have made it harder for a player with low offensive ability to finish off a play like that instead of making it easier for a tendy to make a sprawling save on it.

Goaltenders were too easy to score on in 12, yes. But now they are too difficult to score on in 13.

I love that play and do it all the time. And yeah, it is harder in this game. We're talking about skating over the goal line through the crease, deking and putting it into a sure open net.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This is what they are talking about, people are mad they can't do the cross crease over and over and over again to score. Honestly, if thats the way you want to play fine you can, play EASHL and play with a human goalie and against a human goalie. Otherwise continue to play versus and bang your head against the wall attempting to feed the perfect pass through the slot that will most likely be saved anyway.

You should be able to do it if you have worked hard cycling to get a dman out of position for a 2 on 1, or set up a nice play for a pass back to a trailer. Also, human Dmen in EASHL should be punished for going walkabouts and giving up a 2 on 1 or 2 on 0. But thanks to the new goalies you don't have to actually worry about playing defense since it's impossible to score a breakaway or 2 on 1, which are, you know, actual hockey plays.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Ok, you're talking about the one timer, I call cross crease something else. Yeah, it is hard to do in this game but frankly, I'm glad there are other conventional ways to score. I'm loving it and I love the randomness of everything, just like real life, sometimes he makes the save, sometimes not. But what you can always do is block the shot or lay the guy out, so if you don't like it, get better at D.

Patchey*

How in the blue hell am I supposed to win a ****ing faceoff in this game? Ridiculously hard and Pejorative Slured new system they put in.

Faceoffs are exactly the same as the past two years. :help:
I have my faceoff slider maxed and it's STILL too easy.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Ok, you're talking about the one timer, I call cross crease something else. Yeah, it is hard to do in this game but frankly, I'm glad there are other conventional ways to score. I'm loving it and I love the randomness of everything, just like real life, sometimes he makes the save, sometimes not. But what you can always do is block the shot or lay the guy out, so if you don't like it, get better at D.

That has nothing to do with punishing teams for making poor defensive plays.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That has nothing to do with punishing teams for making poor defensive plays.

I don't follow. What I'm saying is if you are worried about shots from the slot going in, lay the guy out before he gets there or block the shot if he gets it off.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I don't follow. What I'm saying is if you are worried about shots from the slot going in, lay the guy out before he gets there or block the shot if he gets it off.

You are never going to prevent 100% of shots from going in.

I don't entirely mind the randomness of shots getting past the goaltender, but the defense of it isn't simply saying "get better at D". That's a simple way of looking at it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You are never going to prevent 100% of shots from going in.

I don't entirely mind the randomness of shots getting past the goaltender, but the defense of it isn't simply saying "get better at D". That's a simple way of looking at it.

For sure, personally, I like it, I like the realism of it and that's my defense of it. Because hockey is not about shooting, it's about outplaying your opponent and winning the little battles to get into high percentage shot areas, such as the slot. In the past, unless you did the little wiggle waggle crap, the vast majority of the time, the goalie was making the save, doesn't matter if it's Chara in the slot...and that was not realistic. I was sick and tired of when I would lose games while giving up 8 or 9 shots all game because of ******** sure thing goals. To me, just go get the NBA game if you want to precisely shoot it in 100% of the time from the same spots.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
You should be able to do it if you have worked hard cycling to get a dman out of position for a 2 on 1, or set up a nice play for a pass back to a trailer. Also, human Dmen in EASHL should be punished for going walkabouts and giving up a 2 on 1 or 2 on 0. But thanks to the new goalies you don't have to actually worry about playing defense since it's impossible to score a breakaway or 2 on 1, which are, you know, actual hockey plays.

I score the majortiy of the breakaways I get human or computer, in fact thats largely what my playstyle is based off of, getting 1 on 1 with the goalie, you don't even need a clear cut breakaway to get in tight and score. On a 2 on 1 you need to shoot because the D is going to take away the pass unless he's an idiot, and in that case you pass and shoot sometimes it goes in sometimes it doesn't however I've found shooting low is the way to go as 5 hole is typically open when they move laterally and if not theres always the rebound. Also the pass back to the trailer works a lot. People have gotten used to threading passes through the D in the zone constantly and they can't get used to shooting when you are supposed to. Most people in 10, 11, 12 just kept pass pass passing until they got the perfect east west pass through 2 d-men and one timed it automatically into an open net, or played off the rush and just constantly passed through the helpless D with less then 99 Def Awareness for an easy cross crease. Play real hockey and you will score.

I'm talking about the One-T and Cross Creases. No one took low percentage shots in any of the previous games because you didn't have to you could simply pass through everyone and set up easy plays that the Goalies were helpless to defend. You need to defend high percentage areas and play back to stop breakaway and plays off the rush. Take your shots and they will go in.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009

Please don't tell me:
-Cross-crease
-One touch deke

no, i mean there is no point in playing any hockey in the offensive zone, since the most optimal way to play the game is get over the blue line, instantly shoot, go after rebound, instantly shoot from where ever you are, rinse repeat until goalie actually covers the puck

If you never shoot glove side you will always 100% get a rebound

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto
I agree with what most of you are saying about scoring, but the cross-crease shouldn't work so poorly to the point that isn't even worth trying. I am not mad that I can't do it "over and over" - I am mad that it doesn't even work in situations like a 2 on 0 or on a 5 on 3 PP where the guy is wide open at the post for a tap in. Now it never works, barely even 1/10 times. There's something between always and never. This play happens a fair amount in hockey... it should work ocasionally in NHL 13.

It's sad that one of your best chances to score on it is if you pass it cross crease and it goes in off the defenseman.

The tools are there to play good D on this play now. They shouldn't have to make the goalies super human to counteract it. That's just poor game design. To me, if you are giving up that play over and over at this point, you should get scored on a lot and it means that you need to learn to play better D because you should be able to stop it a lot of the time.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I still can't play online with the frame rate issues! I don't know if I am in the minority or what, but it's crap with the frame rate/lag issues.

I really like the game though, better then last year even when playing single player as I have no choice.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I score the majortiy of the breakaways I get human or computer, in fact thats largely what my playstyle is based off of, getting 1 on 1 with the goalie, you don't even need a clear cut breakaway to get in tight and score. On a 2 on 1 you need to shoot because the D is going to take away the pass unless he's an idiot, and in that case you pass and shoot sometimes it goes in sometimes it doesn't however I've found shooting low is the way to go as 5 hole is typically open when they move laterally and if not theres always the rebound. Also the pass back to the trailer works a lot. People have gotten used to threading passes through the D in the zone constantly and they can't get used to shooting when you are supposed to. Most people in 10, 11, 12 just kept pass pass passing until they got the perfect east west pass through 2 d-men and one timed it automatically into an open net, or played off the rush and just constantly passed through the helpless D with less then 99 Def Awareness for an easy cross crease. Play real hockey and you will score.

I've played dozens of EASHL games and must have seen someone get a breakaway more than 200 times, less than 10 have gone in, and the times they did score they took a shot instead of doing a deke

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I agree with what most of you are saying about scoring, but the cross-crease shouldn't work so poorly to the point that isn't even worth trying. I am not mad that I can't do it "over and over" - I am mad that it doesn't even work in situations like a 2 on 0 or on a 5 on 3 PP where the guy is wide open at the post for a tap in. Now it never works, barely even 1/10 times. There's something between always and never. This play happens a fair amount in hockey... it should work ocasionally in NHL 13.

It's sad that one of your best chances to score on it is if you pass it cross crease and it goes in off the defenseman.

The tools are there to play good D on this play now. They shouldn't have to make the goalies super human to counteract it. That's just poor game design. To me, if you are giving up that play over and over at this point, you should get scored on a lot and it means that you need to learn to play better D because you should be able to stop it a lot of the time.

This is what I am saying, well said

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I've played dozens of EASHL games and must have seen someone get a breakaway more than 200 times, less than 10 have gone in, and the times they did score they took a shot instead of doing a deke

I don't know what else to say other then people just don't know what they are doing. My club and my versus game are literally based on getting breakaways and scoring on them human or not our breakaway % for our club is above 30 percent and like I said its our primary way of scoring and its not a wrist shot from the slot its deking the goalie, we had over 250 games played the season that just ended

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
I don't know what else to say other then people just don't know what they are doing. My club and my versus game are literally based on getting breakaways and scoring on them human or not our breakaway % for our club is above 30 percent and like I said its our primary way of scoring and its not a wrist shot from the slot its deking the goalie, we had over 250 games played the season that just ended
What he said^^

Those dozens of games must have been played with/against bad players

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Both of those are more indicative of the player playing a lot than them being a good player.
All of my club's forwards score fairly regularly on breakaways.

No... you have to actually have good stats to get the next card to increase attributes. Plus, it shows how many points they've scored when the stats pop up during a break.

I don't know why our experiences have been different, maybe there's always a connection issue in my games since I always play with a mix of Europeans and North Americans

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
LOL at all the people seeing star players go through waivers. Has not happened to me or any of the friends I know that play the game. Maybe those people just got a bad copy of the game?

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
No... you have to actually have good stats to get the next card to increase attributes. Plus, it shows how many points they've scored when the stats pop up during a break.

I don't know why our experiences have been different, maybe there's always a connection issue in my games since I always play with a mix of Europeans and North Americans
It is incredibly easy to get the legend card. And again, stats don't tell the whole story.
I have the most goals/points on my club. I am not my clubs best scorer.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
scoring on breakaways is easy. Move puck to side and shoot 5 hole. For whatever reason, it's built into the goalies to react as if the shot has gone high glove/blocker even when you shoot 5 hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad