Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Is it true that Coffey is not returning to the bench? Sorry this seems like the best place to ask

Let’s hope not. He’s been Katz’s right hand man for years so I feel like he’s got to have a blank cheque offer after what he did with the defense.

Botterill, Bowman, Burke, Darche, K. Gretzky, B. Holland, Hunter

Matty has been stumping for his boy Gretzky on twitter

With how mediocre the options are, I’d rather go Gretzky or Holland if JJ really doesn’t want it. Gretzky made a couple decent deals as our GM, and has a been here as assistant GM for nearly a decade. Holland’s more analytic focused like Jackson, and has the added bonus of having a hall of fame GM father for guidance. Either makes more sense than freaking Botterill or Bowman

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thing with Keith Gretzky is if it ever came to a point where you had to fire him it would put Jackson/Katz in the weird spot of firing the brother of the face of the franchise (all-time). I don't think they want that smoke.

I'm sure there are a number of people who can do the job that aren't related to Wayne Gretzky.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
The longer I think about this the more I wonder if Brad Holland is the next GM and it's been decided for a while but not announced. Maybe he has had his hands on all of the moves and signings so far, and JJ is keeping things in check and official so it doesn't look like pure nepotism.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The longer I think about this the more I wonder if Brad Holland is the next GM and it's been decided for a while but not announced. Maybe he has had his hands on all of the moves and signings so far, and JJ is keeping things in check and official so it doesn't look like pure nepotism.
I’ve always liked Brad Holland. He is also analytics driven and is the reason for Ekholm and Hyman. On Stauffer last summer, he spoke about philosophical differences between him and his dad on what “all in” meant and big swings. He quoted his dad as saying “you can make those moves when you’re in the big chair”

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It’s interesting how Jackson is going about things, putting the people he wants in place in key areas such as analytics, scouting and player development before he’s hired a GM.

This leads me to believe that Jackson is going to be very much the big picture guy who’s going to be setting the course and making the big decisions on roster construction but he’d like a GM who’s going to run the day to day stuff and who’s got a wealth of experience in hockey ops and deep connections in hockey circles.

Makes me wonder if he goes for an elder statesmen of the league. Someone like a Brian Burke or Doug Wilson. A guy who’s vision for team building might be dated but whos got a ton of experience managing front offices, who has strong relationships around the league and who is a sharp operator when it comes to areas such as negotiating.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Why not pick an oiler hockeyfan from hfboards? They are deep into the game at least.

Or that "the hockey guy" from youtube. I would like to see what that would lead to.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if the Oilers were sniffing around Chris Patrick from Washington and the Caps decided to promote him rather than lose him.
Could be a possibility. I do like how the Caps are always active and able to make moves. Not always the best moves, but shows deal making ability.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I wonder if the Oilers were sniffing around Chris Patrick from Washington and the Caps decided to promote him rather than lose him.
This might have helped with the promotion: Capitals Management | Washington Capitals ;)

But there might be some truth there. Patrick the Younger would fit the profile and gives a sense for the younger age, guy ready for promotion after a decade on the job NHL experience, and resume with the diversity of management function areas overseen. Add on solid real world education, "Patrick graduated from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Science in politics and economics in 1998 and earned a Master of Business Administration at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia in 2006."

These are the waters I imagine Jeff Jackson is trolling for a modern era GM.

EDIT: Adding link to Chris Patrick's announcement with depth of NHL experience: Capitals Promote Chris Patrick to Senior Vice President and General Manager | Washington Capitals

Last edited:

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
A lot of people are crazy about the job that our interim GM did, let's just put this into perspective for a second.... he wasn't trying to convince players to come to the perennial also-rans of the '90s and 2000s, he was giving guys the opportunity to come play with MacDavid and possibly Draisaitl. He's asking them if they want to come to a team that made it to G7 last year. Signing free agents to a team like that is like getting girls in Hollywood to go to a party with Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling.

His only trade wasn't necessarily a slam dunk. He gave away one of our top 4 PK fwds for a prospect with an injury history who finished 4th on his team in scoring in the playoffs as a 20 yr old. McLeod was on that legendary playoff PK unit, and he has already played over 200 NHL games as a 24 yr old. He's one of the 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the NHL.

People here might have wanted to see more goals from McLeod, but he's a guaranteed solid NHL contributor for 8 more years, and Savoie might never play 80 games.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
A lot of people are crazy about the job that our interim GM did, let's just put this into perspective for a second.... he wasn't trying to convince players to come to the perennial also-rans of the '90s and 2000s, he was giving guys the opportunity to come play with MacDavid and possibly Draisaitl. He's asking them if they want to come to a team that made it to G7 last year. Signing free agents to a team like that is like getting girls in Hollywood to go to a party with Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling.

His only trade wasn't necessarily a slam dunk. He gave away one of our top 4 PK fwds for a prospect with an injury history who finished 4th on his team in scoring in the playoffs as a 20 yr old. McLeod was on that legendary playoff PK unit, and he has already played over 200 NHL games as a 24 yr old. He's one of the 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the NHL.

People here might have wanted to see more goals from McLeod, but he's a guaranteed solid NHL contributor for 8 more years, and Savoie might never play 80 games.
8 more years… geez what a bold statement. I would say the chances of Savoie making the NHL are higher than McLeod playing 8 more years in the NHL.

This logic seems a bit flawed. Should you never trade an NHL player for a high end prospect because they “might not play 80 games.”?

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Savoie played on 2nd line as their 1st line was well established before he went to MJ he also put up over 2 ppg playing 2nd line in the regular season for them, He also put up 5 points in 6 games as a rookie in the AHL which is very impressive for a kid getting his feet wet there. His chances of being a miss are very slim

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
It's really quite something that JJ retained all key pieces, improved the roster for next year with scoring wingers AND somehow added the top 2 prospects in our pool.

Whoever is GM can just be a figure head for all I care.

McLeod is player who has arb rights next year and then UFA the following year. Right when cap crunch is coming. Likely wouldn't be able to afford him.

Savoie has full 3 year ELC, he produced at elite level 5v5 in playoffs. Thinks game at a high level, excellent skater and very high level motor and puck skills. Perfect complimentart AFFORDABLE piece for our top 6. I promise you Savoie will play more than 80 games, you need to familiarize yourself with more than just the boxcars.

McDanglez

Jan 15, 2011
Saskatchatoon
It's crazy how many posters are upset over losing McLeod. In the playoffs everyone was complaining(rightfully so) about his weak perimeter play. He's not a player you win championships with, he is allergic to contact. That's why he's gone, thankfully our depth was bolstered even further by JJ before making this move.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016

Well, the previous time we made it to game seven of the Stanley Cup finals we lost our best player immediately afterwards

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Did I miss something or did Ken Holland not also have McDavid and Draisaitl for his entire tenure?

He's also the real reason McLeod is gone by the way. Cap casualty due to the mess Holland's regime left behind.

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
8 more years… geez what a bold statement. I would say the chances of Savoie making the NHL are higher than McLeod playing 8 more years in the NHL.

This logic seems a bit flawed. Should you never trade an NHL player for a high end prospect because they “might not play 80 games.”?
McLeod will absolutely play 8 more years, unless he gets injured, but he's been a healthy NHLer for a long time.

He's a guy that Draisaitl wanted on his line with him. Is Draisaitl's opinion meaningless?

Savoie is getting injured in junior and being outplayed as a 20 yr-old by younger teammates...
He might be fantastic, and the skill is definitely there, but Linus Omark and Nail Yakupov had skill too.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010

He’s considered to be one of the best prospects not currently playing in the NHL.

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
Savoie played on 2nd line as their 1st line was well established before he went to MJ he also put up over 2 ppg playing 2nd line in the regular season for them, He also put up 5 points in 6 games as a rooking in the AHL which is very impressive for a kid getting his feet wet there. His chances of being a miss are very slim
Sure, but I'm still not calling that trade a slam dunk. We traded a hawk in our hand for a nightingale in the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad