Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Part that’s cut off: Could it be with the #LetsGoOilers ? We shall see but it’s trending that way from our understanding.
giphy.gif

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Our front office has a 30 year history of always making the worst possible decisions so I suppose it should come as no surprise that they're seriously considering Bowman.

The amount of smoke out there now related to this is extremely concerning especially considering pretty much no other names are even out there.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Our front office has a 30 year history of always making the worst possible decisions so I suppose it should come as no surprise that they're seriously considering Bowman.

The amount of smoke out there now related to this is extremely concerning especially considering pretty much no other names are even out there.
Has any of JJs moves ever had “smoke”? Relax.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Some what related... Is Bob Nicholson still part of the organization?

He deserved to be fired, if not for his awful gm hires for his "junior hockey rape slush fund" tier behaviour.

Reactions: Aerrol

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Some what related... Is Bob Nicholson still part of the organization?

He deserved to be fired, if not for his awful gm hires for his "junior hockey rape slush fund" tier behaviour.

Unfortunately, he is still part of our organization as a Special Advisor & Alternate Governor, Hockey Operations. He should have been fired years ago

Reactions: Shizuka

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
A Bowman hiring seems strange but reading the situation it does seem like it could be a possibility. Oilers are looking for a GM, he gets reinstated by the league, there’s been lots of media speculation about it, then they get Sheldon Kennedy to write and release a statement in support of Bowman.

He wouldn’t be my choice but from what I’ve seen of Jackson so far, I trust him to make a good decision for the teams success.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The Stan Bowman issue could be one where, publicly stating that he is being considered is simply a way of legitimizing the NHL’s “laundering process”. I could believe that when the NHL deemed that Bowman was ready to return, they advised the clubs of their acceptance and indicated support for his consideration in hiring. (Not endorsement but general support.)
The Oilers / Jackson are simply making the reference to Bowman in our search as evidence that we got the memo and that we’re onside with the NHL.
Like everyone else, I’d be shocked if he was hired.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
The Stan Bowman issue could be one where, publicly stating that he is being considered is simply a way of legitimizing the NHL’s “laundering process”. I could believe that when the NHL deemed that Bowman was ready to return, they advised the clubs of their acceptance and indicated support for his consideration in hiring. (Not endorsement but general support.)
The Oilers / Jackson are simply making the reference to Bowman in our search as evidence that we got the memo and that we’re onside with the NHL.
Like everyone else, I’d be shocked if he was hired.

I think people better prepare themselves for the Bowman hiring. We're the only team I've seen being linked to him, and we've been hearing it from multiple sources for what, months now?

Where there's smoke, there's fire... and all that.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I think people better prepare themselves for the Bowman hiring. We're the only team I've seen being linked to him, and we've been hearing it from multiple sources for what, months now?

Where there's smoke, there's fire... and all that.
Here’s my thinking…..Bowman would have to be miles ahead of the other candidates to win the job. And I don’t see that happening. The baggage alone is going to cripple him. And his GM record isn’t spectacular enough to win teams over.
Just doesn’t seem like a Jackson thing to do.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Decent article on Brett Peterson in Florida's army of management people. Agent time at JJ's old firm. Interesting guy. Only age 42. Pretty good endorsement below.

"His substantive hockey experience as a player, significant developmental and evaluation skills and business acumen as a negotiator combine to form an elite skill set that is very difficult to find in our sport," Zito said. "There are many who can excel in one of those disciplines, but few who excel in all three."

Interesting to look at the Florida Panther management group. I think they must lead the league in lawyers on staff and former agents. Pretty impressive model Hockey Operations | Florida Panthers | Florida Panthers

Paul Krepelka an interesting cat (no pun intended). Hockey at Princeton, Law grad and founding partner of Orr Hockey Group. As Senior VP, Hockey Operations, not sure he would be moving. Paul Krepelka | Endicott College

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Amazing to me how all these billion dollar sports organizations feel some need to be a bastion of second chances.

Bowman barely moves the needle for hockey as a whole and instead of washing their hands they think "here...have another".

"He reflected and changed". No. He was on a boat fishing and bitching about how he has to do all this shit just to get back in.

Reactions: Balakay14

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Jackson interviewing Stan Bowman is like GMs trading players for future consideration. Only doing it out of good faith and hoping future good deals come out of it

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
At this point I would think its someone who works for another teams hockey ops department. I think if it was Hunter, Bowman etc, they would already be hired. Sounds like we will find out soon regardless.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I hope the reason around the smoke for Bowman is to get him in the news to apply and be considered for other positions. I don't want him here.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
E
Not really a surprise. Lawton's a prominent profile guy with a similar career path as JJ as a former player, agency builder, and team management experience though Lawton's was as top dog in Tampa. A lot of similar philosophies notably information/analytic based decision making and a pro-active, aggressive decision making. Has been a candidate for several GM searches over the past many years and runs a sports consulting business. Still deeply plugged into the league.

Could they co-exit? My own impression would be yes based on impressions of their thinking styles and personality types.

Really an interesting job search with this organization in mature phase Cup window chase while also needing to hire to build out a strong, sustainable organization. Where does JJ draw the line between experience have done the GM role and latent growth potential of candidates in support versus lead management functions in NHL organizations?

I think some peeps are sleeping on Jason Botterill who got smoked and undercut in a dysfunctional Buffalo organization which hasn't improved. Strong, progressive experience under really good leaders; solid development work in Pittsburg; U Michigan MBA; Western Canadian roots.

EDIT: Link doesn't work. Decent Sportsnet article:

Jason Botterill’s best and worst moves as Buffalo Sabres GM​

Nice to see someone else mentioning Botterill. You’d think a guy who’s spent 15 years working under the likes of Ray Shero, Jim Rutherford and now Ron Francis would be near the top of the list of candidates. The tenure in Buffalo wasn’t great, but everything around that franchise is a disaster. Plus there should be some level of redemption considering one of the “worst” moves he made in the O’Reilly trade has turned around now with Thompson turning into the top line forward they likely projected when they made the deal. He’s definitely an interesting name to me.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
After reading DNB's article in the Times I think it's gonna be Mark Hunter.

JJ, I trust you to just pick anyone not named Bowman.
Mark Hunter knows nothing about cap management which is the number one problem Holland created.

There is no point in drafting good players and signing them to amazing contracts they'll worship their agent for.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
E

Nice to see someone else mentioning Botterill. You’d think a guy who’s spent 15 years working under the likes of Ray Shero, Jim Rutherford and now Ron Francis would be near the top of the list of candidates. The tenure in Buffalo wasn’t great, but everything around that franchise is a disaster. Plus there should be some level of redemption considering one of the “worst” moves he made in the O’Reilly trade has turned around now with Thompson turning into the top line forward they likely projected when they made the deal. He’s definitely an interesting name to me.
He's top 3 shortlist for me. The Buffalo situation was highly dysfunctional and the O'Reilly trade really perceived poorly because he went out and won a Cup. But Thompson, a 1st and more delivered what they needed. Skinner deal was possibly owner driven. Undercut by a subordinate who hasn't moved the needle on a loser culture.

Interesting background with his Dad an academic sports psychologist but who has also worked with Mike Keenan and other NHL types going back decades. Solid solid mentors as you mention. Gone through an expansion process to review and access league wide talent. Solid development work with the Penguins during winning years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad