Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
McLeod will absolutely play 8 more years, unless he gets injured, but he's been a healthy NHLer for a long time.

He's a guy that Draisaitl wanted on his line with him. Is Draisaitl's opinion meaningless?

Savoie is getting injured in junior and being outplayed as a 20 yr-old by younger teammates...
He might be fantastic, and the skill is definitely there, but Linus Omark and Nail Yakupov had skill too.
Drai clearly wanted good wingers which is why the Oilers went and grabbed 2 of em.

What younger teammates outplayed him in junior?

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
He's also the real reason McLeod is gone by the way. Cap casualty due to the mess Holland's regime left behind.
Sorry, I just fail to see the awesomeness

Our team is pretty old up front for a Stanley Cup contender.

Drai clearly wanted good wingers which is why the Oilers went and grabbed 2 of em.

What younger teammates outplayed him in junior?
He was 4th in scoring on his team. Are the 3 ahead of him all younger?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

A few months sure. Is your argument based off last playoff point totals only? By your logic every player on the Oilers was better than McLeod except Perry and Ryan.

Savoie had the best point per game in the regular season and was great on the dot. Don’t get me wrong that team was stacked but last year as a whole Savoie wasn’t really outplayed by anybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

An average age around 28 or something from what I recall, most of the players at around 30, peak mental maturity and still at an age where peak skill hasn’t diminished much. This is around the age group and composition you find most contenders

They call it a window for that reason

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
It's crazy how many posters are upset over losing McLeod. In the playoffs everyone was complaining(rightfully so) about his weak perimeter play. He's not a player you win championships with, he is allergic to contact. That's why he's gone, thankfully our depth was bolstered even further by JJ before making this move.
4 points in 24 playoff games. Three of those came in the final, so basically a ghost in the prior 3 series. He was a cumulative -7. It's pretty crazy really. A good player no doubt but there is no denying he wilted in playoffs.

Sure, but I'm still not calling that trade a slam dunk. We traded a hawk in our hand for a nightingale in the bush.
We had to move cap out. It was a necessary trade and we received the #1 prospect in our pool by doing so. This is called a measured bet.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
An average age around 28 or something from what I recall, most of the players at around 30, peak mental maturity and still at an age where peak skill hasn’t diminished much. This is around the age group and composition you find most contenders

They call it a window for that reason
Ya contenders are usually older which is why they trade players they don’t deem essential while they still have value and restock the cupboards.

Losing McLeod next offseason or overpaying him in arbitration is the last thing a contender should do.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Hope we hire someone soon. Waiting til preseason to sign Holloway,Broberg and Draisaitl plus settling the cap overage will make for a long summer.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Let me just throw a name out there from the agent world. Gerry Johansson, no idea if he would be interested or if he would even be good at it, but he’s definitely a guy with a ton of connections.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Let me just throw a name out there from the agent world. Gerry Johansson, no idea if he would be interested or if he would even be good at it, but he’s definitely a guy with a ton of connections.

I don't think we see another agent come in. To me it still sounds like Jeff was waiting to hire someone that was working with another club. This is why I don't think it's a minor league coach like Mark Hunter, an agent like Johansson, an internal candidate like Gretzky, Holland or Scott.

He wants someone that's a great evaluator of talent. What I mean by this is someone who knows how valuable his own players are, what they are worth in terms of trades and free agency. He also wants someone who he can collaborate with and won't rock the boat. Someone that is comfortable with the day to day grind of being a GM and can keep tabs on the locker room.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't think we see another agent come in. To me it still sounds like Jeff was waiting to hire someone that was working with another club. This is why I don't think it's a minor league coach like Mark Hunter, an agent like Johansson, an internal candidate like Gretzky, Holland or Scott.

He wants someone that's a great evaluator of talent. What I mean by this is someone who knows how valuable his own players are, what they are worth in terms of trades and free agency. He also wants someone who he can collaborate with and won't rock the boat. Someone that is comfortable with the day to day grind of being a GM and can keep tabs on the locker room.
I just think he was waiting so he could do due diligence and have the ability to interview people who work at other teams. I don’t think that means it’s a guarantee that it’s an experienced hire.

Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A lot of people are crazy about the job that our interim GM did, let's just put this into perspective for a second.... he wasn't trying to convince players to come to the perennial also-rans of the '90s and 2000s, he was giving guys the opportunity to come play with MacDavid and possibly Draisaitl. He's asking them if they want to come to a team that made it to G7 last year. Signing free agents to a team like that is like getting girls in Hollywood to go to a party with Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling.

His only trade wasn't necessarily a slam dunk. He gave away one of our top 4 PK fwds for a prospect with an injury history who finished 4th on his team in scoring in the playoffs as a 20 yr old. McLeod was on that legendary playoff PK unit, and he has already played over 200 NHL games as a 24 yr old. He's one of the 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the NHL.

People here might have wanted to see more goals from McLeod, but he's a guaranteed solid NHL contributor for 8 more years, and Savoie might never play 80 games.

Would you be happy paying McLeod $3.5-$4M on an extension?

That's probably what he's going to get.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not hard to believe. He seemed reluctant to accept the job in the first place. Perhaps the terms were, he would leave after helping to sort out the defence and leaving a bit of a blueprint for future plans.
Let’s remember that he has a demanding business in his “real life” to return to.
Very grateful for what he did and the personal sacrifice to do it…..he owes us nothing.
I think coaching these guys makes him happy. That's important.

If he wins a a cup as a coach that puts him in rarefied company considering where he ranks all time as a player. Would definitely give him bragging rights over the Gretzky's of this world. ;)

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Staples put out a name in the Journal today that’s very interesting….Brian Lawton.
A lot of folks will know his name from interviews on Oilers Now, where he usually provides some insights on the game and the teams. Former GM of TB and a former agent.
Hmmmm?
I have all the time in the world for Lawton. He is brilliant.

That said, could JJ and BL co-exist? Both are very strong willed, confident, type A’s etc..

It feels that their mindsets would have to be in extreme lockstep otherwise it could unravel very easily. And do we need their mindsets to be in complete lockstep, or do we want them to be nuanced and slightly divergent to avoid the group think potholes?

If two people can be professionally opposed on issues and still find ways to work together my gut says these two persons are more than capable.

I like the Lawton concept, it just needs to be fully mapped out.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Staples put out a name in the Journal today that’s very interesting….Brian Lawton.
A lot of folks will know his name from interviews on Oilers Now, where he usually provides some insights on the game and the teams. Former GM of TB and a former agent.
Hmmmm?
I've honestly been impressed with Lawton over the years. But he has mostly been in a broadcast role over the last decade. I think it would be a surprise if he was the guy.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I have all the time in the world for Lawton. He is brilliant.

That said, could JJ and BL co-exist? Both are very strong willed, confident, type A’s etc..

It feels that their mindsets would have to be in extreme lockstep otherwise it could unravel very easily. And do we need their mindsets to be in complete lockstep, or do we want them to be nuanced and slightly divergent to avoid the group think potholes?

If two people can be professionally opposed on issues and still find ways to work together my gut says these two persons are more than capable.

I like the Lawton concept, it just needs to be fully mapped out.
Good point about being able to co-exist….thats often overlooked.
Also, wondering if Lawton is really interested in going back to a stressful, full time career or is he content with his current situation (broadcasts, etc) since he’s been away from an active role a while.

Reactions: brentashton

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Good point about being able to co-exist….thats often overlooked.
Also, wondering if Lawton is really interested in going back to a stressful, full time career or is he content with his current situation (broadcasts, etc) since he’s been away from an active role a while.
On Stauffer's show, he basically said he left the NHL Network to pursue opportunities in management. Seems like he was in the short list for the Sharks GM job before they gave it to Mike Grier.

I just dont see the point in bringing in someone with almost the exact same background as JJ.

Again, doesn't really fit what JJ laid out for his ideal candidate on McCown's podcast.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Jackson on his yacht when he texts other GMs before any deals

JJ.jpg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Jackson on his yacht when he texts other GMs before any deals

View attachment 895698
That movie had peak JLH… almost as good as JJ.

Part that’s cut off: Could it be with the #LetsGoOilers ? We shall see but it’s trending that way from our understanding.
No no no. How to undo a summer’s worth of good moves with one decision. I’d rather have kept Holland if Bowman is the replacement.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hmmmm?
Not really a surprise. Lawton's a prominent profile guy with a similar career path as JJ as a former player, agency builder, and team management experience though Lawton's was as top dog in Tampa. A lot of similar philosophies notably information/analytic based decision making and a pro-active, aggressive decision making. Has been a candidate for several GM searches over the past many years and runs a sports consulting business. Still deeply plugged into the league.

Could they co-exit? My own impression would be yes based on impressions of their thinking styles and personality types.

Really an interesting job search with this organization in mature phase Cup window chase while also needing to hire to build out a strong, sustainable organization. Where does JJ draw the line between experience have done the GM role and latent growth potential of candidates in support versus lead management functions in NHL organizations?

I think some peeps are sleeping on Jason Botterill who got smoked and undercut in a dysfunctional Buffalo organization which hasn't improved. Strong, progressive experience under really good leaders; solid development work in Pittsburg; U Michigan MBA; Western Canadian roots.

EDIT: Link doesn't work. Decent Sportsnet article:

Jason Botterill’s best and worst moves as Buffalo Sabres GM​

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Part that’s cut off: Could it be with the #LetsGoOilers ? We shall see but it’s trending that way from our understanding.
When you walk into a bar filled with women. You gotta talk to the worst ones to get to the best ones

That movie had peak JLH… almost as good as JJ.

No no no. How to undo a summer’s worth of good moves with one decision. I’d rather have kept Holland if Bowman is the replacement.
She was fine. Can't lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad