Speculation: Next Oilers GM?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Lol. I remember renting that with my buddy and being so hyped.
Frank Dux baby :laugh: uh the 90s a simpler time

Are we still linked to Hunter? Or is that dead?
I think Jackson wants a young guy like Knob. I like it since I was disappointed when KH came in only because I thought another old guy was not the answer and wanted someone like Dubas. ( not dubas he’s bad but someone his age group)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol for sure. Loved Bloodsport. So I went on a JCVD binge when I was young. Really, it’s only Bloodsport that was a true classic lol.

I think Jackson wants a young guy like Knob. I like it since I was disappointed when KH came in only because I thought another old guy was not the answer and wanted someone like Dubas. ( not dubas he’s bad but someone his age group)
Someone young and forward thinking. I’m fine with that. I only worry about the GMs in this league being a boys club, and I hope a fresh face is able to do business with these guys and isn’t completely shut out.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Very unusual situation. No GM in place and no timeline when there might be one. But a huge summer to try and get back to the cup next year before huge potential raises for Draisaitl and Bouchard kick in.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Need to nail this one. Tambellini, MacTavish, Chiarelli, and Holland in a row held this team back from reaching its potential. No idea who we'll land on since Jeff Jackson is playing his cards close to his chest, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing what Shawn Horcoff has learned in Detroit.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Strange the team didn't have a successor groomed, or replacement lined up.
It wasn't coming at a surprise that Holland's contract was expiring. Succession planning should be part of any well run organization.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun on that critique, but usually you'd combine announcements (even to say announce acting GM) . Especially at this critical point in time.
Jackson did announce an acting GM, himself. Fans don’t need to know what’s going on in the c suite so there’s no point in Jackson wasting his time getting into detail about what they’re doing.

The most obvious answer for the perceived lack of a succession plan is that the person or persons at the top of his list are still under contract in other organizations or otherwise have obligations preventing them from taking the job until the season is officially over.

He got here a year ago and has been busy restructuring the organizational chart and putting in place the people he wants in key positions that would allow him to run things in the short term, which he basically said is the plan. It’s clear he’s going to be very involved in the hockey decision moving forward and given the fact the season ran right up to the draft/free agency he’s going to set the table for next season himself and then bring in his GM.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011

A brief clip of the Jackson's availability is linked in Spector's article. The part that stood out to me was when he spoke about reaching out to candidates, and adds:

"...it's a difficult time for everybody, we're at the draft, people that I want to talk to are integral parts of other organizations, so I'm anticipating that I'm going to have to be a bit patient with that and get through this next few days".

It sounds like he's obviously got a list in mind, but he is actually interviewing multiple qualified candidates that are part of other organizations. That is such a new concept for this organization that I am both excited and baffled.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

A brief clip of the Jackson's availability is linked in Spector's article. The part that stood out to me was when he spoke about reaching out to candidates, and adds:

"...it's a difficult time for everybody, we're at the draft, people that I want to talk to are integral parts of other organizations, so I'm anticipating that I'm going to have to be a bit patient with that and get through this next few days".

It sounds like he's obviously got a list in mind, but he is actually interviewing multiple qualified candidates that are part of other organizations. That is such a new concept for this organization that I am both excited and baffled.
Yeah, Jackson spells out why he needs to be patient. Other teams are not going to approve key members of their organization for interviews with competitors right before the draft and free agency period. They want these people to be focused on preparing for these two high priority deadlines and they also possess proprietary information that they don't want shared outside their organization.

Jackson will likely be able to interview his preferred candidates in July.

Reactions: McDoused

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

To be fair to Bob Nicholson… he did that too the last time we had an open spot at the GM position…

And then literally abandoned all that work and hired Ken Holland on the spot without an interview the moment he became available out of Detroit :laugh:

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hum. Holland's plan was to bring stability and professionalism to a gonzo organization. Brought in a deeply experienced veteran coach to help stabilize their team. He had to build up NHL depth across all areas while also having to support critical development function within their prospect pool. Ultimately he oversaw a lottery team to a progressive playoff team culminating in year 5 in a Cup Final in 7 game series.

Through this time as big boss man he had to react and course correct with unforseen factors including losing a cornerstone prime year defenseman Klefbom's career ending injury; Adam Larsson's dad dying in Edmonton which led to losing a second cornerstone defenseman; wrangling out of Lucic's cap handcuff contract; a global pandemic which crushed cap growth over 3 seasons. Firing and hiring two additional NHL coaches due to a supremely volatile team performances.

Jackson is a much better, clearer communicator than Holland and a more analytical personality type. He exudes confidence and certainty whereas Holland was more stream-of-consciousness prone to rambling in his public interviews. That might have undermined Holland somewhat (NHL Guide & Record Book; Up and Down Like a Toilet Seat; In Detroit We Did ...). But Holland has ultimately built a strong organizational winning culture and a team that delivered progressive results year over year.
Your 3rd paragraph is what I meant between holland and jackson but spot on.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Jeff Jackson on Oilers Now, talking about the GM search. I'm doing my best to transcribe his key quote:

"We're not going to go out an hire a rookie general manager who is coming out of left field. There's a number of candidates that I want to talk to that have been assistant GMs, they've had an opportunity to be a GM, some of these candidates are back in the assistant GM role, or it's almost like a co-GM position in some cases unofficially. The person we're going to hire is going to have experience. There are some organizations out there who have very young general managers, they're rebuilding and they have a long road before they're going to win, and you can afford to do that in that scenario. In our case, we need someone who is very experienced and with the proper vision that aligns with what I see for the team".

The GM back to assistant GM, or "co GM" description sounds like he has someone very specific in mind, I'm just racking my brain to think of who that could be.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Jeff Jackson on Oilers Now, talking about the GM search. I'm doing my best to transcribe his key quote:

"We're not going to go out an hire a rookie general manager who is coming out of left field. There's a number of candidates that I want to talk to that have been assistant GMs, they've had an opportunity to be a GM, some of these candidates are back in the assistant GM role, or it's almost like a co-GM position in some cases unofficially. The person we're going to hire is going to have experience. There are some organizations out there who have very young general managers, they're rebuilding and they have a long road before they're going to win, and you can afford to do that in that scenario. In our case, we need someone who is very experienced and with the proper vision that aligns with what I see for the team".

The GM back to assistant GM, or "co GM" description sounds like he has someone very specific in mind, I'm just racking my brain to think of who that could be.
Well my prediction couldn’t be more off.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Weird we went from Hunter being a rumored to be on our radar. And now this which definitely won’t be Hunter.

The experience factor makes sense though, kind of the same thought process when we brought Kenny in.

JJ must already have a good idea of who’s out there from his agency days. I bet he had someone in mind already but just needs him to shake loose.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Give MacT another kick at the can.

restraint-no-restraint.gif

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So is the issue that they thought Coffey would be the next GM and instead he is better suited as a coach?

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I put together a quick list of some names based on what Jeff Jackson said on Oilers Now. This is not my list of preferred candidates, just who I think he might be looking at based on his comments. Please don’t come at me:oops:.

My criteria was: a current AGM or senior advisor to an NHL team who has experience as an NHL GM or interim GM and/or is working with a very junior GM and could satisfy the concept of being a “Co-GM”. Special preference was given to those who have a connection to Jeff Jackson (specifically those that worked with him in Toronto), or are from Edmonton- Stauffer made a comment about the candidate needing to “know the market”, which Jackson said was a factor.

The list I came up with surprised me:

i) Dave Nonis:

Current AGM in Calgary (could be the “Co-GM” with how green Conroy is). GM experience in Toronto and Vancouver, and would have worked in Toronto while Jackson was there.

2) Jason Botterill:

I’ve seen his name as a potential candidate for the Columbus job before Waddell was hired. Currently an AGM in Seattle, and most recently a full GM in Buffalo. Also served as interim GM in Pittsburgh before Rutherford was hired. He was born in Edmonton and also grew up in Winnipeg, so he's the only one who satisfies the local criteria.

3) John Ferguson Jr:

I honestly thought this guy was dead but he's somehow only 54 years old (?!?!?!). Current AGM in Utah, would have been the GM of Toronto when Jeff Jackson worked there.

4) Jeff Solomon:

AGM in Anaheim, has worked in NHL front offices for 35 years, acted as Anaheim’s interim GM for a brief period. Might be a bit green as an actual GM, but he’s a former agent who has been around a long time. Worked with the Kings when they won their cups.

5) Joe Will:

AGM in San Jose for 27 years, served as interim between Wilson and Grier. That's all I've got.

Some of these are a stretch, but I could see Botterill or Nonis being serious candidates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad