News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Surely they could have gotten Staal's retirement night against a team he actually played for? Why the Ducks?

I mean... besides the obvious that all of these games would likely have low attendance if not for the theme night happening.
It's on January 12th. They probably wanted the date as part of the occasion.

The only other home game on a 12th is an afternoon matinee against the Rangers in April.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Surely they could have gotten Staal's retirement night against a team he actually played for? Why the Ducks?

I mean... besides the obvious that all of these games would likely have low attendance if not for the theme night happening.
Maybe Marc is signing a PTO with the Ducks?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

I think in the little video that the Canes posted of Staal getting the news, it sounded like they were letting Eric choose the date.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think in the little video that the Canes posted of Staal getting the news, it sounded like they were letting Eric choose the date.

See, that's crazy to me. I thought for sure we'd retire his jersey in a game against Minnesota. It's what we've done in the past, honor a player while playing against another team that player has a close connection with. Williams was against the Kings, Brindamour's against Philly, etc.

Reactions: cptjeff

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
See, that's crazy to me. I thought for sure we'd retire his jersey in a game against Minnesota. It's what we've done in the past, honor a player while playing against another team that player has a close connection with. Williams was against the Kings, Brindamour's against Philly, etc.
Maybe they asked him and he said he doesn’t give a shit?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
They would just have to build it all up from scratch, first, and that's probably more investment that Dundon is willing to undertake if he can have an absolutely shitty 3rd party do it for him.
Well, I heard on CNBC today that Top Golf/Calloway was looking at "strategic options" apparently given the bad quarter they just had (missed on earnings and revenue, I believe). One option is to re-spin out Top Golf as a stand alone entity.

Dundon, I believe, has a board seat or two with this company. Be funny if he basically repurchased it.

Assuming their goalie doesn't have another 50+-save performance...
That's a bold statement, Cotton.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
Well, I heard on CNBC today that Top Golf/Calloway was looking at "strategic options" apparently given the bad quarter they just had (missed on earnings and revenue, I believe). One option is to re-spin out Top Golf as a stand alone entity.

Dundon, I believe, has a board seat or two with this company. Be funny if he basically repurchased it.

That's a bold statement, Cotton.

think he's out

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Did I miss an announcement or was nothing said about hiring a third Development Coach? Kevin McCarthy (unclear if it's former assistant coach Kevin McCarthy) is listed along with Daniel Bochner and Peter Harrold on the staff directory.

EDIT: Huh, it is the same Kevin McCarthy. The 'Canes PR site has profiles for each of the player development coaches.
I assumed he followed Lavi to New York like he always has.

TIL he was the only ever coach of the Beast of New Haven who I went to see countless times during their 2 year existence.

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Jake and Boomer were mostly kind to the Canes in their preview. Biggest concern is that they have lost 12 games in the last 2 years in the playoffs in which they have outshot opponents but ultimately lose due to the scoring and finishing fizzling out. Both say it is due to no true takeover player and list it as their big weakness. Jake has mentioned this a lot over the past few seasons. Both think it becomes a mental thing, too, as the same thing happens repeatedly. Svech is named as the X factor who could make or break the season.

Based on Tulsky's comments in his segment, they're still working things out with Jarvy. He said they plan on letting the goalies battle it out for the leading role. It doesn't sound like many changes in approach and style will happen even with so many changes on the roster.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
think he's out
No, he is off the board but he still has a designated representative (his CFO) on the board. Top Golf is getting a lot of heat on social media about their product, high prices and capex required to run it.

I’d suspect Dundon has had to write down some of his remaining position in the investment this year.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No, he is off the board but he still has a designated representative (his CFO) on the board. Top Golf is getting a lot of heat on social media about their product, high prices and capex required to run it.

I’d suspect Dundon has had to write down some of his remaining position in the investment this year.
Does anyone know his financial position with the company? (I haven’t looked for it)

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Does anyone know his financial position with the company? (I haven’t looked for it)
Don’t know his current specifics, but seeing that the acquisition was a stock deal I understand why Dundon held a seat on Calkaway’s board. Q is whether he sold (presuming he didn’t have a bond period) shares post acquisition while Callaway share price was higher

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
We seem to be having a fire sale.

Obligatory:

arrested-development-david-cross.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad