News and Notes Thread VII: Ch ch ch changes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
peters was traded to plymouth a year and a half after he was drafted. very clever wording to make to completely different situations look comparable, though.

Fair enough. We can throw that one out if that's too vague a connection. We can even broaden it out to drafting an OHL goaltender. Mike Murphy, Matt Mahalak, Justin Peters, Daniel Aultshuller. The fact that Peters ended up in Plymouth after derailing a bit was just an added bonus.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 28s
Flames made a trade offer for Cam Ward in exchange for Carolina's 7th pick. Obvious salary dump opportunity. Hurricanes declined.

Oh my

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Holy confusion. Could he have possibly made that tweet any more unclear?

And what exactly would have been the return? Future considerations?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

It read pretty clear to me. We had the 7th pick in the draft and if anybody thinks the Flames would have taken Ward off our hands for a 7th round pick (or with a 7th round pick) then you clearly need to step away from NHL 14.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

And what exactly would have been the return? Future considerations?

Dreger's tweet before that added context that is was 7th overall:

"The Flames were aggressive pre-draft. Offered to take on Mike Riberiro for 12th pick (Riberio wouldn't wavie). Ultimately he was bought out."

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
It read pretty clear to me. We had the 7th pick in the draft and if anybody thinks the Flames would have taken Ward off our hands for a 7th round pick (or with a 7th round pick) then you clearly need to step away from NHL 14.

Maybe the offer just seems so ludicrous that I'm making it more confusing for myself than it actually is. Giving up the 7th rounder to unload that contract would be an easy pill to swallow. Giving up the 7th overall is just... I don't even know. Couldn't make heads or tails of it given that.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So, recapping. Cam still has super negative value and Francis has no chance to trade him at this time. So we can end the fantasy that any ******* could have unloaded Cam by now.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It was a Princess Bride reference. It was supposed to be funny. I'm sorry you didn't think it was.

If you actually want my assessment of your points, I think a couple are good and a couple are REAL stretches invented just to try to prove your point. We drafted a guy from Sweden that played at the WJCs and all of the sudden it's "uncreative" because we already have a Swedish prospect? Foegele has a similar track to someone else and all of the sudden it's "JR all over again?" You can't be serious with the UNH-Pesce thing, that has very little if anything to do with the scouting process. Your Jenkins point is fair but many assessments have said that he's our best value pick. Our goalie (I'll learn to spell his name eventually) may be from Plymouth, but he was the consensus #2 goalie in the draft and many say a very good pick. Not to mention I would bet that Demko was our man and he got picked the pick before us.

Your point about not minimizing the importance of the Wesley pick as evidence of some of the bad habits that remain in the front office is a very good point.

The importance of Foegele being a UNH recruit means that he was heavily scouted by UNH, obviously. When your scouts are making trips to watch Pesce and the head coach or whoever brings up a kid they're looking at as a 14 eligible prospect that is making waves... it's a link. Granted, not all these are rock solid but they show the patterns that were evident with JR. Friends of friends. Guys who were recruited by the same programs. Guys with obvious links to other players. Relationship based scouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad