GDT: New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils: Party spoiler edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tampa is way better then a wild card, and the Habs are good too.

Putting stock in traditional playoff losers is silly. Caps team this year is not the same as the one in the past. They will give people headaches.

By wild card I don't mean where they are in the standings, but I have no idea what to expect from them. They could flame out, but they could really surprise. I just don't know.

I like the Caps and think they are a different team this year, but still have no faith in them. The Habs lean too much on Price.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This offseason is going to make or break me on Lou.

If he can clean house with some of the stink in our lineup, I'll be happy.

If Zubrus and Gionta and Harrold and Fraser and Ruutu are all back next year, I'll be handing out pitchforks and torches. I want 4 of the 5 gone next year and the one remaining better not be Zubrus

What did Gio do?

Tossing a few bottom 6 guys is so far down the list of priorities. We need to add, not subtract the movable parts.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Their bluline is not good enough to beat the Rags or TB.

Washington's blue line isn't as big a drop off as you are suggesting. It really isn't much of a drop off at all. Picking up Niskanin and Orpik was a huge upgrade for them, despite their seemingly obsurd contracts. Washington is bigger than the Rangers. They're playing more physical. If I'm to pick a team that'll knock the Rags out, it's them or Boston.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I just feel for the players that we do have. Sure, a lot of them are not really good, but they didn't assemble the team themselves. This roster is downright pitiful. But you get an honest effort out of this group way more often than not. To be booed out of their own building, it just doesn't sit well with me, regardless if the source is a bunch of classless dickbags in blue attire.

In defense of Lou, he was dealt a real bad hand with Jeff's ownership issues and the loss of Parise and Kovalchuk. You combine that with declining careers of important players + some weak draft picks and this is where we are. But I'm not sure he's the person to lead us out of this mess. They need some creative and bold moves to get this ship back on track. Is he the one to make them? While the turnaround is going to take a couple of seasons, waiting it out isn't a solution. Sure, the defense will mature and the goaltending is there, but we're just so far away from seriously competing right now. It's difficult to not be worried that it may not get turned around for a long time.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
By wild card I don't mean where they are in the standings, but I have no idea what to expect from them. They could flame out, but they could really surprise. I just don't know.

I like the Caps and think they are a different team this year, but still have no faith in them. The Habs learn too much on Price.

They have pretty consistently have played excellent hockey all year. Teams stats on both sides of the ice are some of the best in the league. Stamkos is an obvious game breaker.

They seem built to get the job done.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
They are too good to flame out early. As much as I hate them, unlike their ******* fans, I can admit and acknowledge how good they are even as a rival. It's hard for me to envision a scenario in which they don't make it to the finals. They are that good. I mean, Pit isn't that good, the Isles are spiraling down the drain as they enter the playoffs, the Caps are traditional playoff losers, Tampa might be the wild card, but I think the rags are the cream of the crop in the East.

The West is better again, though.

I hope you are so wrong. I hope Hank chokes it away. Let the controversy begin.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Zubrus will be back. Everybody might as well just accept it and move on. Let's just hope we can add a couple forwards to knock him down to a bottom six role.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Washington's blue line isn't as big a drop off as you are suggesting. It really isn't much of a drop off at all. Picking up Niskanin and Orpik was a huge upgrade for them, despite their seemingly obsurd contracts. Washington is bigger than the Rangers. They're playing more physical. If I'm to pick a team that'll knock the Rags out, it's them or Boston.

Pick them off early. ECF would be a different animal. Habs and Tampa are also tops in the East for a reason too. That series could be a blood bath.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I just feel for the players that we do have. Sure, a lot of them are not really good, but they didn't assemble the team themselves. This roster is downright pitiful. But ou get an honest effort out of this group way more often than not. To be booed out of their own building, it just doesn't sit well with me, regardless if the source is a bunch of classless dickbags in blue attire.

I hope Karma comes up and rips their heads off.:rant:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Team doesn't need to give up assets or use up buyouts on bottom 6 guys for the hell of it.

The whole mission is to either add high end talent into the prospect pool, or directly into the top 6 on the NHL team. The right side especially.

Also to bring in a coach that can get more out of what is already here and whatever we add.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I just feel for the players that we do have. Sure, a lot of them are not really good, but they didn't assemble the team themselves. This roster is downright pitiful. But ou get an honest effort out of this group way more often than not. To be booed out of their own building, it just doesn't sit well with me, regardless if the source is a bunch of classless dickbags in blue attire.

It was classless. A lot of fans act mindlessly when faced with something that upsets them. Every team has them. It's just a lot more noticeable with Ranger fans because they've been around longer and have fan roots in the Devils home state.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don't want Gio back because he just can't finish, he can't win faceoffs, he constantly trails the play, and he's a meh penalty killer. There are lots of guys out there like him.

Fraser and Harrold can be released, two of the other three can be bought out. Gio's cheap and you take on the chin on Zubrus or Ruutu.

I know it won't happened. Realistically 3 of the 5 can be tossed.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Also since 1986 has only won the cups 8 times

Not a lock by any stretch of the imagination, but you do realize that's almost 30% of the time right? Compared to the other 15 teams each year? Not sure why they made it sound like a bad thing on the announcing tonight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't want Gio back because he just can't finish, he can't win faceoffs, he constantly trails the play, and he's a meh penalty killer. There are lots of guys out there like him.

Fraser and Harrold can be released, two of the other three can be bought out. Gio's cheap and you take on the chin on Zubrus or Ruutu.

I know it won't happened. Realistically 3 of the 5 can be tossed.

Frasier and Harrold are both UFAs I believe.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Pick them off early. ECF would be a different animal. Habs and Tampa are also tops in the East for a reason too. That series could be a blood bath.

I wouldn't go by the standings. It has never done me any good when picking teams. The playoffs are really a different animal. It's not just some myth. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington stumbles, but if they pick up some confidence, they're capable of doing damage. This is the best team in Washington I've seen since Ovy joined them. They have size/skill and win a lot of the little battles. There is no reason for me to be sold on Tampa yet. They lost to MTL last year, who is a small team, that when up against some skill/size, get suffocated. They were absolutely obliterated by the Rags last year. And they didn't change their roster enough this year, for me to think they improved.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Shed Zubrus, Ruutu,
Demote Gio to Albany
Do not re-sign Fraser, harrold, Ryder, Havlet.

Trade Patty

Lou retire

goawaygary*

I think if Oates was going to be the coach in 15-16, he's be the coach NOW, but he's not.

Someone other than Lou, Stevens, or Oates will be coaching the team next season

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think if Oates was going to be the coach in 15-16, he's be the coach NOW, but he's not.

Someone other than Lou, Stevens, or Oates will be coaching the team next season

I am going to scream Jeff Blashill at the top of my lungs until he is hired. I am of the belief that our next head-coach isn't even in the NHL right now. We need someone that is young and hungry and willing to change the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad