Proposal: New Jersey - Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Nobody disputes he's a very talented player. He has some baggage, maybe a lot of baggage, and more importantly, he's approaching his expiration date as an RFA. Why does any rebuilding team trade a long term signed heart and soul guy for a guy who's leaving in two years and may not want to be with the rebuilding team at all, even if the short term guy is more talented? It's just not realistic on that level.
I don't disagree with you on this. I don't see the fit for the players mentioned. On the CBJ side, Hischier does not fill a need and, in my opinion, would not make them better as they need more goal scorers, not less.

Reactions: Dumais and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Why do you dislike him so much. He's been nothing like that in Columbus and if he's moved it will not be as a dump. Try to be a realist. You're way off on this one. No chance he has negative value. He's been quite good in Columbus this year and by all accounts is well liked and works at his game with no locker drama.

I was reacting to the silly notion in the post I responded to that Hischier is just some garden variety 3C. You can make almost any player look bad if you want.

Reactions: Dumais

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don't disagree with you on this. I don't see the fit for the players mentioned. On the CBJ side, Hischier does not fill a need and, in my opinion, would not make them better as they need more goal scorers, not less.

That's fair. Somehow saying a guy isn't a fit or a team would say no to a trade means that the fans have to trash the players being mentioned rather than just having a realistic discussion. I think the issue for CLB becomes can they sign Laine long term? If not, what is the plan?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
That's fair. Somehow saying a guy isn't a fit or a team would say no to a trade means that the fans have to trash the players being mentioned rather than just having a realistic discussion. I think the issue for CLB becomes can they sign Laine long term? If not, what is the plan?
That is a huge discussion. Columbus lacks elite skills - only Laine and Werenski would even be considered in the realm, and not be everyone. You don't find players with 40 or even 50 goal potential often and I think Columbus would like to have him as part of the new core, however, they are in a rebuild and they may not want the long term commitment at this time given their timeline horizon. We don't know what he wants but most fans (probably myself included) would be OK with a deal in the $8.5AAV range for 5-6 years. Would allow him another big contract and the team wouldn't hamstring themselves as the 21, 22 and 23 draft players become eligible for extensions.

However, they don't need to move him at the deadline and a strong finish, plus being RFA, could invite a nice deal before the draft or even 2023 assets - which I think the CBJ would be OK with.

Reactions: My3Sons and Dumais

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
That is a huge discussion. Columbus lacks elite skills - only Laine and Werenski would even be considered in the realm, and not be everyone. You don't find players with 40 or even 50 goal potential often and I think Columbus would like to have him as part of the new core, however, they are in a rebuild and they may not want the long term commitment at this time given their timeline horizon. We don't know what he wants but most fans (probably myself included) would be OK with a deal in the $8.5AAV range for 5-6 years. Would allow him another big contract and the team wouldn't hamstring themselves as the 21, 22 and 23 draft players become eligible for extensions.

However, they don't need to move him at the deadline and a strong finish, plus being RFA, could invite a nice deal before the draft or even 2023 assets - which I think the CBJ would be OK with.
I would be more than happy with anything under 9m. But I could see Laine asking for 10. And you're right, be better to trade him next year (better draft) for 2023 assets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
are we in the circus? i haven't seen such a clownery for quite some time:
  • a columbus fan proposes
f*** no. You stop right there. We are NOT doing this fabricated fanbase accusation nonsense.

Seriously, try actually looking at a poster's profile before you start trying accusation-by-affiliation crap. Judging by posting history, the OP doesn't have a particular team affiliation - in the last 150 posts over two and a half weeks the only team-specific board posts they've made were two on the Isles board and one on the Habs. So don't try and pull this "your fanbase is victimizing mine" garbage.

We have a disagreement going. That's fine. Teams have different priorities and fanbases can disagree. But this kind of "nuh uh you started it" mishegaas is total crap.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I would be more than happy with anything under 9m. But I could see Laine asking for 10. And you're right, be better to trade him next year (better draft) for 2023 assets.
lofty numbers.

the devils shouldn't even bother to invite him to contract talks. svech signed for 8x7.75m and if i could choose between those two, i pick svech 10 times out of 10.

My3Sons

Sponsor

the best outcome for CLB is to sign him I would guess. He’s a young guy and hopefully he can find teammates to connect with and feel valuable and want to play hard for the team. Any trade is a step down from that. I think that most NJ fans would see Laine as a rental which just doesn’t work for a bad rebuilding team. I wish him well and I wish CLB well. Small market fans need to see what they have in common rather than what divides them. How often do the small market teams fans get posters from big teams asking to speed up the inevitable UFA jump by whatever player to their big market team with some mediocre trade proposal? I’d suggest that fans of any number of teams see that and to me that’s the real dividing line rather than feuding whether a Laine for Hischier deal is worthwhile.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
f*** no. You stop right there. We are NOT doing this fabricated fanbase accusation nonsense.

Seriously, try actually looking at a poster's profile before you start trying accusation-by-affiliation crap. Judging by posting history, the OP doesn't have a particular team affiliation - in the last 150 posts over two and a half weeks the only team-specific board posts they've made were two on the Isles board and one on the Habs. So don't try and pull this "your fanbase is victimizing mine" garbage.

We have a disagreement going. That's fine. Teams have different priorities and fanbases can disagree. But this kind of "nuh uh you started it" mishegaas is total crap.
fine i believe you. i won't bother to look it up.

the devils have no interest to trade hischier.
laine was dicussed on our board and most devils fans are not interested in him.

if columbus isn't interested in hischier and wants to keep laine, this thread should be closed asap.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Why do you dislike him so much. He's been nothing like that in Columbus and if he's moved it will not be as a dump. Try to be a realist. You're way off on this one. No chance he has negative value. He's been quite good in Columbus this year and by all accounts is well liked and works at his game with no locker drama.

Once again why are you trading him...Why possible 3rd team by 23 24 years old?....So unique yet Columbus wants to deal him....

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
  • a columbus fan proposes a deal to acquire hischier involving laine
  • devils fans decline mostly because they don't want laine
  • hischier gets trashed
  • you propose laine for the devils first :loony:
here my reasonable counter offer:
subban (50% retained) for your 2nd :razz:
The OP is NOT a Columbus fan. Since you're calling the clown show, should we assume they are YOUR clown?

OP is not one of ours. Oh, and Subban is yours.

I'll give you this though. At least the Devils didn't give away the treasury to get Subban, unlike several other teams.

If you don't want Laine, that's fine. Don't be a jerk about it.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Once again why are you trading him...Why possible 3rd team by 23 24 years old?....So unique yet Columbus wants to deal him....
Good question and a fair one. Laine has been on fire after coming back from injury.

As a Devils fan who has been going down our road for a while, I'm sure you understand Columbus is at the beginning of a long rebuild. A guy like Laine can make a huge difference on a competitive team, but isn't likely to stick around Columbus after his next contract if the team is still in a rebuilding mode.

If the Devils are ready to compete, he could be very valuable there. If not, he's probably not a good fit in Newark.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The OP is NOT a Columbus fan. Since you're calling the clown show, should we assume they are YOUR clown?

OP is not one of ours. Oh, and Subban is yours.

I'll give you this though. At least the Devils didn't give away the treasury to get Subban, unlike several other teams.

If you don't want Laine, that's fine. Don't be a jerk about it.
Read all the trashing of Hischier in this thread again. Then count the times Devils fans said, they were not interested in Laine.

But let's keep the peace and discuss a Werenski to Detroit proposal instead. :naughty:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Read all the trashing of Hischier in this thread again. Then count the times Devils fans said, they were not interested in Laine.

But let's keep the peace and discuss a Werenski to Detroit proposal instead. :naughty:
If someone from Columbus trashed Hischier, that's on them. I wouldn't take out how I feel about you or your posts on other Devils fans. I have no problem with them. They didn't make things up.

I'm happy to discuss Werenski to Detroit. They just need to pay enough to make it very worthwhile for Columbus.

So unlike you who is unwilling to even look at a poster's history to see what team he/she is a fan of, I actually looked for anyone as you say "trashing" Hischier.

I wouldn't call these posts trashing him, but they are overly critical.

Laine is a winger who scores 30+ goals per season.
Hischier is a third-line center with a terrible contract.

Devils need to add a first-round pick in this draft, maybe then Jackets will think.

You think a 3rd line player is better than a winger who can score 40 goals in a season?

Yes. Scoring goals. Something that Hischier can't do.

Didn't score more than 52 points in any season.
Well, this is level of the 2nd line, but they give him time as for 1C.
According to his skills, Hischier is a 3rd line player and nothing more.

All by one poster, who either has no team or possibly may be a Flyers fan. This poster's history is unclear. They do seem to jump in threads of different teams and denigrate players. In fact, they did the same in the Hischier to Montreal thread.

Your lack of interest in finding out the truth is fascinating.

Hey, @TBF1972 if you want to keep making these kinds of posts that make you look bad, it's your prerogative. Go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Theese two teams look like they could be good trading-partners. Columbus have wingers, but no C:s - New Jersey have C:s but no wingers. Could something around Laine/Hischier or Laine/Mercer could be worked out?

Columbus get:

Hischier

New Jersey get:

Laine (extension agreed on)
CBJ 1st 2022 (top5 protected)

If it were Mercer, then New Jersey would add pics and a rosterplayer. The teams just look like good tradingpartners. Dont know if the value is ok. If not post your proposal.

I think both teams say no. columbus has been drafting so good that I think they keep that pick regardless of where it is in the draft. New jersey just named Hischier captain

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
  • hischier gets trashed

How many Columbus fans are doing what?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
  • hischier gets trashed

If you are going to make a statement about a poster, make sure you do some research. He isn't a Jackets fan. Now, who is the clown?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
lofty numbers.

the devils shouldn't even bother to invite him to contract talks. svech signed for 8x7.75m and if i could choose between those two, i pick svech 10 times out of 10.
You literally can’t ever pick and choose between guys like them if you’re actually a GM looking to try to acquire a player?

Svechnikov gave the Canes a ridiculously team friendly deal, they are lucky bastards for it but I’m not sure that can be a stick to beat every other deal with.

Re the proposal: Laine is on hot streak. Cool. Keep in Columbus then.

OneSniffTwoSniff

Jan 18, 2022
Devils fans are overrating Hischier here, he is a fine player but overpaid and can't produce much offensively. Solid 2-3 line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad