Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
One thing Messier wont be is in over his head. But yeah, he could make terrible decisions. Michael Jordan may be the worst NBA GM in the history of the NBA.

I didn't even realize MJ was a GM in the NBA. :laugh:

They just need to go outside the organization with this one. If LaFontaine hires Peca because he coaches his kid (or something), I'm going to scream. The Sabres need to hire people because they're good, not because they like them. (Pegula's story about a lightbulb going off over his head while talking concussions and eating steak with Lafontaine made me shake my head.)

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Bucky Gleason @TBNbucky
Four names to remember, in no particular order, for #Sabres GM: Jim Benning, Rick Dudley, Jason Botterill, Claude Loiselle.

(PS: Will Bucky party all night in celebration and then wake up tomorrow to realize he has nothing left to live for?)

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Messier was Assistant GM with the NYR for a few seasons and left when he saw he wasn't going to get the opportunity to become GM or coach. So he does have experience in the field and he definitely knows why it would take to win. Being such a warrior/competitor I think he would be more aggressive then passive as a GM. If you truly want to send a statement and change the culture with a perspective from outside the organization, he would be a very interesting hire.

Botterill is thrown around a lot and Fenton from Nashville has paid his dues. I think they need someone in place sooner rather than later so the organization can decide on a direction and what steps to take with
trades and coaching.

If they decide on Nolan long term that a guy like Ott probably has a much better chance of resigning here rather then being moved.

Hopefully Lafontaine's first question is "Can you convince anyone to take Stafford and Leino?"

Like the new direction and now looking forward to the home and home with the Leafs regardless of the outcomes. Sabres games should be much more entertaining to watch.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
OK - I'll ask the same question about Messier. Why do people think he would be good?

He's smart. Knows hockey. What it takes to win.

Most importantly his name...who he is.

Insta-cred would help in free agency I believe.

He's an icon...

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
Just saw an interview on NHL.com where LaFontaine said he is looking for the next up and coming GM.

Doesnt sound like Dudley, Burke, or Neil.

No one seems to have mentioned that Smith is near 60, and Dudley is about to turn 65.
And when Burke is extolled for drafting the Sedins, it might be noted that it was almost 15 years ago.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

As a player. Has nothing to do with being a GM.

He's an icon...

So we should hire someone because they're famous. Credibility as a GM has to be earned as a GM, or at least somewhere where you're asked to exercise the same skill set.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Forgot that Botterill had his career ended by concussions. He also has worked for the league offices.

Seems like he would have had several opportunities to meet up with Pat.

He also is considered one of the prime up and coming GM canidates and has cup experience (as far as being part of a cup winning management team)

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Neutral Sens fan with a GM he likes and an owner he doesn't.

If McGuire was to be hired it would not be the worst thing in the world, he knows hockey. BTW, FAR less annoying on radio than television

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Forgot that Botterill had his career ended by concussions. He also has worked for the league offices.

Seems like he would have had several opportunities to meet up with Pat.

He also is considered one of the prime up and coming GM canidates and has cup experience (as far as being part of a cup winning management team)
And the Buffalo/Rochester connection.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Messier was Assistant GM with the NYR for a few seasons and left when he saw he wasn't going to get the opportunity to become GM or coach. So he does have experience in the field and he definitely knows why it would take to win. Being such a warrior/competitor I think he would be more aggressive then passive as a GM. If you truly want to send a statement and change the culture with a perspective from outside the organization, he would be a very interesting hire.

Botterill is thrown around a lot and Fenton from Nashville has paid his dues. I think they need someone in place sooner rather than later so the organization can decide on a direction and what steps to take with
trades and coaching.

If they decide on Nolan long term that a guy like Ott probably has a much better chance of resigning here rather then being moved.

Hopefully Lafontaine's first question is "Can you convince anyone to take Stafford and Leino?"

Like the new direction and now looking forward to the home and home with the Leafs regardless of the outcomes. Sabres games should be much more entertaining to watch.

Messier was a special assistant to the GM, not an Assistant GM. To date, there is very little to prove he was anything more than Sather's fishing buddy.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
As a player. Has nothing to do with being a GM.

So we should hire someone because they're famous. Credibility as a GM has to be earned as a GM, or at least somewhere where you're asked to exercise the same skill set.

Your hockey knowledge doesn't disappear simply because you don't play anymore.

But..I really can't say he'd be a good GM anymore than I can say he'd be a bad GM ...

Lets just say I like his "intangibles" :laugh:

It's not that he's famous...it's that he's Mark Messier.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sabres contingent of Mark Messier and Pat LaFontaine being sent to lure top free agents in the near distant future.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

He was a special assistant to Glen Sather, who has made lots of questionable moves with the Rangers. If that's the only basis for evaluating Messier's GM career, I'm not interested.

Not particularly interested in ties to the Edmonton old-boys club or, for that matter, the Rangers, either. I'm much more interested in finding the next Shero or Chiarelli, as someone previously suggested. Look for a bright young assistant GM or junior hockey GM.

Messier seems like he has too much of an ego, as well.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Should have let Darcy finish off the year. Let him **** some teams that want Miller, Moulson and Ott then let him go in the offseason. Not a good time to be looking for a GM when we have so many players that can walk in a couple months. I'm sure Darcy had talks with teams already about the players like they had with Vanek, so now these teams have the upper hand because we have no idea what they were offering Darcy. The can go back to their crap original offers.

I am certain Darcy was not the only one who knew what trade offers were on the table.

This will have zero affect on potential trades.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's an icon...

I would absolutely hate if the Sabres bring in Messier. The guy is a diva and a ********* of the worst order. He pouted his way out of NYR because he wasn't going to be gifted a GM or head coach job even though he has 0 experience with either position.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Neutral Sens fan with a GM he likes and an owner he doesn't.

If McGuire was to be hired it would not be the worst thing in the world, he knows hockey. BTW, FAR less annoying on radio than television

Not all that interested in creating a fantasy hockey team....

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would absolutely hate if the Sabres bring in Messier. The guy is a diva and a ********* of the worst order. He pouted his way out of NYR because he wasn't going to be gifted a GM or head coach job even though he has 0 experience with either position.

You wouldn't even give him a chance?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
11/13 - Who should be the next general manager of the Buffalo Sabres? (Jonathan Willis - Edmonton Journal):
So who should he hire? We’ve spent a lot of time looking at the best mangers-in-waiting across the league at this website; my short list would look something like this:

Jason Botterill. A former player for the Sabres, Botterill is in his fifth season as the Pittsburgh Penguins’ assistant general manager. He picked up a degree in economics during his playing career and then an MBA after his retirement. Full profile here.

Julien BriseBois. A lawyer who worked his way up the NHL’s management ladder after starting in a legal role, BriseBois has been the assistant general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning since 2010. He previously held the same job in Montreal. Full profile here.

Paul Fenton. Another former player, Fenton got his start in management as a professional scout some two decades ago and has spent most of the last 10 years as the assistant general manager of the Nashville Predators. He’s been with the franchise since expansion. Full profile here.

Laurence Gilman. Another lawyer who eventually transitioned into hockey operations, Gilman has been the assistant general manager of the Vancouver Canucks since 2008. He previously held the same job in Phoenix. Full profile here.

Joe Will. Will started his career with the Minnesota North Stars before signing on with San Jose; he has spent the last few years as the Sharks’ assistant general manager. Full profile here.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dwight Schrute says he was the Assistant GM.

call it what ever you want...it was an old buddy hire who was done for PR but didnt actually do much.

I dont want Messier as GM.

Lafontaine loses credibility if he goes out and hires some buddy he knows.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Messier would be fine given the right structure, Buffalo needed a name like him to increase its profile around the league and attract free agents. That now appears to be Lafontaine's job, however.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Not particularly interested in ties to the Edmonton old-boys club or, for that matter, the Rangers, either. I'm much more interested in finding the next Shero or Chiarelli, as someone previously suggested. Look for a bright young assistant GM or junior hockey GM.

Botterill and Fenton would be the ones at the top of that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad