Speculation: New GM Candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Should have let Darcy finish off the year. Let him **** some teams that want Miller, Moulson and Ott then let him go in the offseason. Not a good time to be looking for a GM when we have so many players that can walk in a couple months. I'm sure Darcy had talks with teams already about the players like they had with Vanek, so now these teams have the upper hand because we have no idea what they were offering Darcy. The can go back to their crap original offers.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm sure Darcy had talks with teams already about the players like they had with Vanek, so now these teams have the upper hand because we have no idea what they were offering Darcy.

I feel sure that Devine knows what Darcy was talking about trade-wise. Devine won't let us get fleeced too badly.

In fact, I do wonder if something might go down a little quicker now. I wonder if Darcy really WAS asking for 2 1sts and a 2nd when darned near everyone here would take a 1st and a prospect for Miller.

Maybe this greases the skids for a few more deals....ones that aren't quite so obviously one-sided, but ones that make sense for both sides.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
I'm sure Darcy had talks with teams already about the players like they had with Vanek, so now these teams have the upper hand because we have no idea what they were offering Darcy. The can go back to their crap original offers.

uhhh....what? I can't even comprehend how you think no one else knows what the offers were...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Wasn't Neil Smith a laughing stock of the league after his last stint?

I have to say I hated him as an analyst.

I'd be open to Mark Messier as new GM ..

Or an up and comer who I have no idea about but is generally seen as a good choice by people in the know.

Don't really want to go down the Smith, Dudley, Burke route..

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Wasn't Neil Smith a laughing stock of the league after his last stint?

I have to say I hated him as an analyst.

I'd be open to Mark Messier as new GM ..

Or an up and comer who I have no idea about but is generally seen as a good choice by people in the know.

Don't really want to go down the Smith, Dudley, Burke route..
At the end. Most people get fired. I wont hold that against him. He is definitely the opposite of Regier.

Brian Burke is my dream hire. I think he is the Bill Parcells of the NHL. The ultimate team builder, and yes a loud mouth but I like that.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Just saw an interview on NHL.com where LaFontaine said he is looking for the next up and coming GM.

Doesnt sound like Dudley, Burke, or Neil.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At the end. Most people get fired. I wont hold that against him. He is definitely the opposite of Regier.

Brian Burke is my dream hire. I think he is the Bill Parcells of the NHL. The ultimate team builder, and yes a loud mouth but I like that.

What exactly has he built again?

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Lafontaine's hiring...that's either "meh" or "warm and fuzzy" depending on how connected you are to the past. Who he hires as GM, though, that's the crux of this whole thing. This house cleaning, which was a long time coming, hinges on his decision.

I like ditching Regier and Rolston, but I'm reserving judgment on everything that came after until they put someone in place.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Just saw an interview on NHL.com where LaFontaine said he is looking for the next up and coming GM.

Doesnt sound like Dudley, Burke, or Neil.

Hmm. Messier, Botterill, Fenton.

Along with the cup resume comment I would guess that leans towards Messier or perhaps Botterill in reference to being part of Penguins cup winning management.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I really hope it is the assistant GM from Nashville. That would make my day as much as the announcement of the firings and hirings today....

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
OK - I'll ask the same question about Messier. Why do people think he would be good?

Just IMO, but since you asked:

Part of 6 cup winning teams, including as a captain.
Has been involved in high end hockey most of his life.
HHOF player
Universally respected across the league by players / alum / management / owners
IMO is one of the better hockey minds
and I believe he has been itching to be a coach or GM for several years now

Swing for the fences kind of move, but if you make contact . . . oh man

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC

HHOF player

But how good is he negotiating a bridge contract, what's his knowledge of cap restrictions and the CBA, how does he fare in a trade negotiation, is he passive or aggressive when it comes to roster moves? There are a lot of unknowns with a guy like Messier. He could turn out to be a GM savant...or the next in-over-his head Ron Rolston. Being a great player and highly respected guy doesn't always translate into being a good team manager.

Since the Sabres took a chance on LaFontaine, I think they need to go with someone a little more established for this position. A current assistant GM and up and comer would be a good place to start.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
But how good is he negotiating a bridge contract, what's his knowledge of cap restrictions and the CBA, how does he fare in a trade negotiation, is he passive or aggressive when it comes to roster moves? There are a lot of unknowns with a guy like Messier. He could turn out to be a GM savant...or the next in-over-his head Ron Rolston. Being a great player and highly respected guy doesn't always translate into being a good team manager.

One thing Messier wont be is in over his head. But yeah, he could make terrible decisions. Michael Jordan may be the worst NBA GM in the history of the NBA.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

HHOF player

The bolded is by far the one that matters the most for purposes of being a good GM. Why are people so convinced that Messier has such a great hockey mind? Is it is the same reason that Gretzky was such a great coach?

If Messier is so interested in being a GM or coach, then why hasn't he been willing to start in junior hockey like almost everyone else? Seems like he feels entitled to start at the NHL level. I'd have more respect for him if he took the Patrick Roy route.

I'm not a fan of hiring Messier just because he was a great hockey player.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
But how good is he negotiating a bridge contract, what's his knowledge of cap restrictions and the CBA, how does he fare in a trade negotiation, is he passive or aggressive when it comes to roster moves? There are a lot of unknowns with a guy like Messier.

Correct. Thus Patty's 'up and coming' GM comment, and my swing for the fences comment.

.or the next in-over-his head Ron Rolston.

Yeah, that comparison isnt a good one. Ron Rolston has nowhere near the hockey resume / experience / knowledge of Messier.

Being a great player and highly respected guy doesn't always translate into being a good team manager.

Correct. Nor does being a great player (see Gretzky as a coach).
But he is more than just respected. I listed several strengths. The sum of the strengths is IMO a very attractive package if you want to swing for the fences and try and hire the next great GM. Could flop, but there is a lot of potential for success there.

And the respected part does play a big part. Him and Patty at the helm makes us a much more attractive organization to work for, as a player or in another capacity. People want to work for guys like Patty and Messier. IMO.

Karate Johnson*

Should have let Darcy finish off the year. Let him **** some teams that want Miller, Moulson and Ott then let him go in the offseason. Not a good time to be looking for a GM when we have so many players that can walk in a couple months. I'm sure Darcy had talks with teams already about the players like they had with Vanek, so now these teams have the upper hand because we have no idea what they were offering Darcy. The can go back to their crap original offers.

A) No. If Darcy isn't the guy for the future he needed to go immediately. A true waste of this year would be letting a lame duck stick around. The new guy get 50-75% of the season to evaluate what we have. Darcy made some good trades, but I'll forgo missing out on en extra 4th rounder in order to have the new regime get a head start. Making this move now cuts a year off what the rebuild time would be if we do it next summer.

B) Do you think Darcy operated independent of everyone in the organization? Like he just walked into meeting and announced trades that have been made and shocked everyone else? Many people in the front office including Devine, Terry, and Black know exactly what's going on all the time. This is clear from the press conference today, and should be common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad