Value of: Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Carolina is stretched at the cap next season. 26m on cap, 5RFAs and 3 players that might demand over 7m+ . Hence the Necas situation.

Habs have the space. They are calling... Not sure they want the picks unless it's our 1st. Else, we have maybe 2 D high prospect... or Caufield straight up.

So, I do not see it happening.

Two layers to this. Cost of the trade and cost of the contract.

1st step: Call Necas's agent and ask him what his 5, 6, 7, 8 year term numbers are. If he starts talking 8x $8M, end the conversation. If he is open to 8x $6.5M or $7M (or 5x $6M), then move on to step 2

2nd step: Find out what the Canes want in trade value. If they are not interested in a quantity package, end the conversation. If they are, engage. Pieces like Jets 1st and Barron. Not sure what else we have to add. On a previous conversation, I had Beck included but not sure I would do it. Just pondering it. That would be my absolute max point to consider.

Interested in Necas but not desperate. If a desperate GM wants to trump us, let them. If the Canes want to re-sign him, OK.

Reactions: Tryamw

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If Necas will sign 8 x $6.5m then we will gladly keep him in Carolina. Notice how there are 15 trade proposal threads on Necas and reports of multiple teams being interested in him? That doesn't scream 'Canes trade him for a grab bag of quantity'.
MTL should be interested, but they dont have what Car needs to move him. Other teams will easely put more interesting stuff on the table. Value wise it may be close, but it will align more closely to the current need of the Hurricanes. I dont expect that he'll go to MTL

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Unclear. I don't see these teams as even a remotely good match for a trade. What we'd be looking for is probably precisely what you're not looking to move...equivalent young pieces of immediate use, rather than futures.

As HH said, a Canadiens offer is probably volume and I don't know that we're looking for volume (or picks.) Beyond that, I don't know. Every time I speculate, we hear rumors later on pieces I don't understand our interest in (Hronek) or get rebuffed by opposing teams' fans on anyone that makes sense for Carolina.
I disagree,

The Canes seem like they will be in need of young dmen who can play since their cap will be tight with some dmen needing new deals. Habs have several young guys who can play. Maybe not star level but they can be solid.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The center depth sucks

1C - Aho
2C - No one
3C - Kuznetsov if he keeps up his play, Drury if he takes another step
4C - Staal is fine here

Kotkaniemi if he plays C is a 3C at best and a 4C at worst
How many Leafs had more points than 3c Kuznetsov in the playoffs 🤔?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It’s crazy how different the league would look with Tkachuk on Carolina and Necas on Calgary

Carolina and Florida were the final two offers for Tkachuk and Calgary mistakenly took the Florida deal.

Oooooooofffffff

Bond

May 10, 2012
what was the Carolina offer?
Necas + 1st and some filler. The funny thing is that even in hindsight the Florida trade was the right one to take. The big miscalculation was not flipping Weegar and Huberdeau.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
what was the Carolina offer?
Dreger and Johnston doing their piece for TSN about RFA’s and such

They said it came down to those two teams
But Calgary went with the older Huberdeau and weegar and a 1st as that was clearly more of a compete NOW.

Carolina was necas, Jarvis and 1st rounder and futures

Reactions: The Don Hughes

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Necas + 1st and some filler. The funny thing is that even in hindsight the Florida trade was the right one to take. The big miscalculation was not flipping Weegar and Huberdeau.

Not flipping Huberdeau. If the plan was to compete now, Weegar made a lot of sense because he's a great D-man. Huberdeau was going to need to be paid for a career season that wasn't sustainable - while the contract has aged especially poorly, it was always going to be a bad one.

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
I mean, Weegar still holds a good value. Huberdeau would if it wasn't for that contract. Its always easier after the fact to evaluate. Huburdeau was coming off a great season. Reminds me of the offer the Lightning refused for Lecavalier in 09.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Canes offer was more than that. The other pieces included weren’t filler

The Don Hughes

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc

But Calgary went with the older Huberdeau and weegar and a 1st as that was clearly more of a compete NOW.

I've always like Jarvis. I probably would have prefered that deal.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The center depth sucks

1C - Aho
2C - No one
3C - Kuznetsov if he keeps up his play, Drury if he takes another step
4C - Staal is fine here

Kotkaniemi if he plays C is a 3C at best and a 4C at worst
I don’t disagree but I don’t think the team sees it for sure that we don’t have center depth. The coach loves Staal then Drury so you have to find a spot for Drury because I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

I fully agree about KK as a 3C, but that’s Staal’s spot. Drury should be cheaper than KK so he should be the 4C. I think there’s a good chance we move on from KK so that leaves Kuzy as 2C. This is actually ideal for RBA because he’ll flip flop Drury and Kuzy based on how their playing and what’s needed in game, and it will always allow him to do the one thing he really wants to do. Play Staal as the 2C no matter how bad offensively that looks.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
7 of Carolina's regular defensemen are gonna turn UFA in the next 2 years, 4 this summer and 3 the next one.

And they need to sign Guentzel, Jarvis and possibly Teravainen.

They NEED young cheap NHL defensemen.

If I was Hughes, I'd be interested in Necas, but wouldn't pay a king's ransom for him.

If he comes at a fair price including a young NHL defenseman, Winnipeg 1st + something else ok, but if the asking price is Reinbacher or Dach or Newhook+, I really don't see the point.

Necas ain't no elite in the league and he's 25. Not 22.

The goal of Carolina in trading Necas is to save money and stay competitive at the same time. They'll be no miracle here as nobody will give equivalent talent but cheaper. You gotta give somewhere to save money on the cap...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I disagree,

The Canes seem like they will be in need of young dmen who can play since their cap will be tight with some dmen needing new deals. Habs have several young guys who can play. Maybe not star level but they can be solid.
Thing is the Canes already have a lot of defensive depth, most of it just played in Europe last season due to the affiliate situation. What they'd need is another blue chip on the right hand side if they are including Necas in a trade.

Long term on the left we have

Slavin
Nikishin
Seeley
Fensore
Forsmark
Grudinin
Maybe Ty Smith

On the right we have
Morrow
Nystrom
Heimosalmi
Legault
Honka

Another top 4, possibly top pair caliber right shot would have to be the #1 target here in any trade with Montreal. And since Reinbacher rightfully wouldn't be on the table it would have to have another RHD plus some other nice pieces. Think a more significant version of the Trocheck trade since Necas doesn't have Tro's injury history and is younger at the time of trade.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I don’t think Jarvis was in there. Even then Jarvis was a key to the future and Necas was struggling to find his spot. That’s a ridiculous overpay even for Tkachuk. I think it was Necas and 1st, probably with something else much less painful than Jarvis.

What I read was the heart of the offer was Necas. If Jarvis was included I don’t know that you’d say Necas was the heart of it.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Neither Barron nor Harris can be expected to be a Top 4 D on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.

Canes got Morrow to sign. He fills the cheap 3rd pairing role. Neither Barron nor Harris is the partner for him.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Have never seen this before and don’t believe it for a second.

Reactions: DaveG

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don’t think Jarvis was in there. Even then Jarvis was a key to the future and Necas was struggling to find his spot. That’s a ridiculous overpay even for Tkachuk. I think it was Necas and 1st, probably with something else much less painful than Jarvis.

What I read was the heart of the offer was Necas. If Jarvis was included I don’t know that you’d say Necas was the heart of it.

Johnston has said on overdrive it was Necas Jarvis and futures
but Necas was considered the main name

Bond

May 10, 2012
Not flipping Huberdeau. If the plan was to compete now, Weegar made a lot of sense because he's a great D-man. Huberdeau was going to need to be paid for a career season that wasn't sustainable - while the contract has aged especially poorly, it was always going to be a bad one.
Yeah, it was Tre overestimating how good the roster was. Huge misread. Conroy said at one point they were considering a retool/rebuild trade and the Florida one. Tre went with the Florida one and Conroy wanted to go the other way. Easy for him to say after the fact though lol

Have never seen this before and don’t believe it for a second.
Yeah, I have always heard it was Necas + a 1st and filler.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

“My understanding from talking to teams around the league the last few days, at least half of the teams in the National Hockey League have checked in with Carolina over the past 7-10 days…”

Mentioned Montreal and Calgary specifically.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Neither Barron nor Harris can be expected to be a Top 4 D on a team with Stanley Cup aspirations.

Canes got Morrow to sign. He fills the cheap 3rd pairing role. Neither Barron nor Harris is the partner for him.
Harris yes, but Barron?

Everybody are calling him out but at the end of the day, he's a 22 yo 6'2" 200 pds RHD that skates like the wind, displays a good shot and have stretches of playing great.

But like many youngsters he struggles with consistency and confidence.

Furthermore, he's stucked in a numbers game in MTL. The organization has the luxury of being patient with him. He'd be an NHL regular in a normal situation.

But he's a 22 yo defenseman and has close to a 100 games in the NHL.

Give him a calming, defensive veteran presence on his left (a thing he doesn't have in MTL, as Matheson doesn't fit that bill) and he'll flourish.

He certainly has the toolkit to be a top 4 on a good team. All he needs is confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad