Value of: Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Two layers to this. Cost of the trade and cost of the contract.

1st step: Call Necas's agent and ask him what his 5, 6, 7, 8 year term numbers are. If he starts talking 8x $8M, end the conversation. If he is open to 8x $6.5M or $7M (or 5x $6M), then move on to step 2

2nd step: Find out what the Canes want in trade value. If they are not interested in a quantity package, end the conversation. If they are, engage. Pieces like Jets 1st and Barron. Not sure what else we have to add. On a previous conversation, I had Beck included but not sure I would do it. Just pondering it. That would be my absolute max point to consider.

Interested in Necas but not desperate. If a desperate GM wants to trump us, let them. If the Canes want to re-sign him, OK.
Easy, skip step 2, no reason to trade $1 for 3x Quarters. No interest in either of those pieces...the only pieces that likely interest Carolina are understandably probably off the table for MTL. Not good trading partners unless a 3rd party is involved

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Harris yes, but Barron?

Everybody are calling him out but at the end of the day, he's a 22 yo 6'2" 200 pds RHD that skates like the wind, displays a good shot and have stretches of playing great.

But like many youngsters he struggles with consistency and confidence.

Furthermore, he's stucked in a numbers game in MTL. The organization has the luxury of being patient with him. He'd be an NHL regular in a normal situation.

But he's a 22 yo defenseman and has close to a 100 games in the NHL.

Give him a calming, defensive veteran presence on his left (a thing he doesn't have in MTL, as Matheson doesn't fit that bill) and he'll flourish.

He certainly has the toolkit to be a top 4 on a good team. All he needs is confidence.

It’s not worth the gamble in 24-25. They have to acquire (or re-sign) a vet to pair with Orlov, who didn’t work out as a babysitter for DeAngelo this past season, btw.

3rd pairing? Fine. That’s not filling a need, though. In the sense that Montreal is a good trade partner for Carolina based on expendable assets, I don’t see it.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
To evaluate a players value, I like to compare with previous trades involving similar players (position, age, pedigree).

Two trades involving forwards in their mid 20's, comparable to Necas, come to mind: Schenn and O'Reilly trades to St Louis.

O'Reilly: Thompson (former late 1st) + late first (#31) + salaries (Sobotka + Berglund = 7,350 mil) + 2nd Rd pick

Schenn: Jori Lehtera (4,7 mil) + late 1st in the trade year (2017 27th) + conditional 1st pick of next year (top 10 protected: 2018 14th)

As I said in a previous message, the goal for Carolina in trading Necas is to save on his contract and stay competitive at the same time.

So want it or not, they're gonna have to sacrifice somewhere as no team are gonna give them an equivalent talent that make less money.

They'll have to take a risk somewhere...

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
How many Leafs had more points than 3c Kuznetsov in the playoffs 🤔?
Why are the canes comparing there players to the leafs?

We underperformed yearly.

Kuznetsov isnt a top 6C anymore. He doesnt have the consistency or ability to play harder matchups. He is still a good sparkplug offensice 3C but he has risks due to his style of life + decline that he can fall off hard next year if used incorrectly

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Easy, skip step 2, no reason to trade $1 for 3x Quarters. No interest in either of those pieces...the only pieces that likely interest Carolina are understandably probably off the table for MTL. Not good trading partners unless a 3rd party is involved
I'm not sure all of the pieces are off the table, but it's going to involve a price tag that Montreal would hate to pay. Tro trade+ type price point. As I said on the Canes board that's probably Mailloux + Mesar or Josh Roy + the Jets 1st since an RHD that can jump in the lineup would likely have to be part of it. And as I also said there if Calgary or Vancouver comes with an Andersson or Hronek (if the Canes can work out an extension first on that one) I'm not sure that package is more appealing for Carolina than the established player.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not sure all of the pieces are off the table, but it's going to involve a price tag that Montreal would hate to pay. Tro trade+ type price point. As I said on the Canes board that's probably Mailloux + Mesar or Josh Roy + the Jets 1st since an RHD that can jump in the lineup would likely have to be part of it. And as I also said there if Calgary or Vancouver comes with an Andersson or Hronek (if the Canes can work out an extension first on that one) I'm not sure that package is more appealing for Carolina than the established player.

If Montreal REALLY liked Necas, I don't think they'd have any problem trading Mailloux, Mesar (not Roy) and the Jets 1st. I'm not sure why Mailloux would be a price tag Montreal would hate so much more than Barron, but whatever.

The question from the Habs side is more how much does Montreal like Necas and who else would they be interested in who is available. Because while their preference is to bring in someone younger and they haven't shied away from paying fairly in trades (Dach, Newhook), they aren't really targeting someone by handedness or forward position and win-now isn't the biggest consideration.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If Montreal REALLY liked Necas, I don't think they'd have any problem trading Mailloux, Mesar (not Roy) and the Jets 1st. I'm not sure why Mailloux would be a price tag Montreal would hate so much more than Barron, but whatever.

The question from the Habs side is more how much does Montreal like Necas and who else would they be interested in who is available. Because while their preference is to bring in someone younger and they haven't shied away from paying fairly in trades (Dach, Newhook), they aren't really targeting someone by handedness or forward position and win-now isn't the biggest consideration.
Yeah mostly using that as an example price point based off the Trocheck trade and the two O'Reilly trades (Buffalo and St Louis ones). I could see Barron if the Canes are able to re sign Skjei, I just see Mailloux as the higher upside play with a bit more physicality which is something Carolina badly needs.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Mailloux is the shinier new toy compared to Barron, but he has flaws too.

One has to accepts that youngsters are gonna get through ups and downs, and if you don't have a global picture analysis, chances are you'll be like the typical stock market newbie that buy high and sell low...

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Mailloux is the shinier new toy compared to Barron, but he has flaws too.

One has to accepts that youngsters are gonna get through ups and downs, and if you don't have a global picture analysis, chances are you'll be like the typical stock market newbie that buy high and sell low...
Necas also has flaws. Why would Canes want to trade a young productive forward in his prime?

Reactions: samsagat

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
To evaluate a players value, I like to compare with previous trades involving similar players (position, age, pedigree).

Two trades involving forwards in their mid 20's, comparable to Necas, come to mind: Schenn and O'Reilly trades to St Louis.

O'Reilly: Thompson (former late 1st) + late first (#31) + salaries (Sobotka + Berglund = 7,350 mil) + 2nd Rd pick

Schenn: Jori Lehtera (4,7 mil) + late 1st in the trade year (2017 27th) + conditional 1st pick of next year (top 10 protected: 2018 14th)

As I said in a previous message, the goal for Carolina in trading Necas is to save on his contract and stay competitive at the same time.

So want it or not, they're gonna have to sacrifice somewhere as no team are gonna give them an equivalent talent that make less money.

They'll have to take a risk somewhere...

Both those guys are/were very different players to Necas though.

For one they both were established young-ish centers at the time of their trades as opposed to Necas being a pretty clear winger (as horrible faceoffs numbers, deployment, and his weak defensive game when played at center indicate).

To add, there's also the fact that the players in both trades you mentioned were quite a bit stronger defensively than Necas is (a LOT better in O'Reilly's case), simply more physical players, and the comparison starts getting a lot murkier.

I'd argue that 2 comparion points that are more apt to use for a Martin Necas trade would be the DeBrincat trade from Ottawa to Detroit, and the Sam Reinhart trade from Buffalo to Florida.

Reinhart returned a very good goalie prospect in Levi + a protected first in a later draft in the 2021 offseason.

DeBrincat returned Kubalik, Sebrango, a fourth-round pick in 2024, and a conditional first-round pick in 2024 that ended up being the 25th overall in this year's draft.

Reactions: samsagat

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Both those guys are/were very different players to Necas though.

For one they both were established young-ish centers at the time of their trades as opposed to Necas being a pretty clear winger (as horrible faceoffs numbers, deployment, and his weak defensive game when played at center indicate).

To add, there's also the fact that the players in both trades you mentioned were quite a bit stronger defensively than Necas is (a LOT better in O'Reilly's case), simply more physical players, and the comparison starts getting a lot murkier.

I'd argue that 2 comparion points that are more apt to use for a Martin Necas trade would be the DeBrincat trade from Ottawa to Detroit, and the Sam Reinhart trade from Buffalo to Florida.

Reinhart returned a very good goalie prospect in Levi + a protected first in a later draft in the 2021 offseason.

DeBrincat returned Kubalik, Sebrango, a fourth-round pick in 2024, and a conditional first-round pick in 2024 that ended up being the 25th overall in this year's draft.
You have good points

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Reinhart and DeBrincat were traded in their last RFA summers.

Necas has 2 years of control left. The Canes can delay if they don’t get what they want. A soft trade request doesn’t have to be honored.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The Habs and Canes aren't going to be trade partners for a while given what happened. Maybe the Habs offer sheet Necas as payback
Ummm you do realize that is was Bargin Bin who OS Aho and basically gift wrapped the Canes with a 1C for less than market value.

You should thank Waddell for signing KK to that ridiculous contract and saving your team the hassle of a meh player that had one good run and turned it into a lottery ticket.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not a single thing in that article saidnhe wanted to play for Montreal. He praised the fans and the arena for its quality of ice nothing more
He's seems in love with Montreal. We do not have room for Necas. Since Laine. But in two years, when he is UFA, good to know how he feels about Montreal. We may re-visit this interview

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He's seems in love with Montreal. We do not have room for Necas. Since Laine. But in two years, when he is UFA, good to know how he feels about Montreal. We may re-visit this interview
Just like we revisited Aho as soon as his 5 year offer sheet was up.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It was an interview with a French Canadian outlet. Common sense handling of the press. The only notable information there would have been if he was negative about the market.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just like we revisited Aho as soon as his 5 year offer sheet was up.
Wasn't aware Aho expressed an interest in another club while signed to the Hurricanes? Maybe you care to enlighten us?

We weren't aware Necas felt this way about Montreal. But glad he went public with his feelings. It may come in handy in future

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Wasn't aware Aho expressed an interest in another club while signed to the Hurricanes? Maybe you care to enlighten us?

We weren't aware Necas felt this way about Montreal. But glad he went public with his feelings. It may come in handy in future
All we heard for 4 years from Montreal trolls was that Aho signed the offer sheet because he REALLY wanted to play in Montreal and he’d be gone as soon as he hit UFA. After all, what player would stay with a team that let things get to an offer sheet??

Which made as much sense as putting any credence in Necas saying Montreal has a nice arena and passionate fans.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

I see all the great FA lining up to go to Montreal thats explains the constant year after year playof... oh wait never mind

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
All we heard for 4 years from Montreal trolls was that Aho signed the offer sheet because he REALLY wanted to play in Montreal and he’d be gone as soon as he hit UFA. After all, what player would stay with a team that let things get to an offer sheet??

Which made as much sense as putting any credence in Necas saying Montreal has a nice arena and passionate fans.
You comparing apples to oranges in this case. Don't recall Aho going public with his fondness of us while signed to Canes. It is perplexing here in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad