Value of: Necas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If Carolina commits to a near $5 mil 4th liner next season, it may as well be Kotkaniemi for center depth. Kuznetsov is still an experiment. Drury is arbitration eligible and is uncertain to be on the team as a result.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Canes have 30 millions in cap space this summer.

Jarvis doesn't have arbitration, so they can force him into a bridge if needed.

If I was a betting man, TT and Pesce (or Skjei) are more likely to be cap casualties.

Guentzal - Aho - Jarvis
Svechnikov - Staal - Necas
KK - Kuznetsov - Fast
Lemieux - Drury - XXXX
The center depth sucks

1C - Aho
2C - No one
3C - Kuznetsov if he keeps up his play, Drury if he takes another step
4C - Staal is fine here

Kotkaniemi if he plays C is a 3C at best and a 4C at worst

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
The center depth sucks

1C - Aho
2C - No one
3C - Kuznetsov if he keeps up his play, Drury if he takes another step
4C - Staal is fine here

Kotkaniemi if he plays C is a 3C at best and a 4C at worst

Absolutely.
Canes need to save the Necas money for a possible Lindholm push. They've desperately needed a RH 2C since Trocheck left. The KK experiment is not going to work at 2C. Move on from Necas for another player in need of a change of scenery. Look for a legit 2C.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you care at all about defense, Staal is at least a 3C. Winning his matchup defines his performance rather than his point production. This postseason, he was on the ice for just 1 5v5 GA in over 150 minutes of ice time.

From the outside looking in, I agree. Staal is what you want on a contender at 3C. Someone who really makes the match-up game difficult for the other teams coach. He can still survive at 2C to some degree but ideally, you want someone better/younger and to have Staal handle the shutdown responsibilities in a 3C role.

I'm surprised to see other fans not realize how important Staal is for the Canes. Without him, it's a set back and very noticeable.

No doubt. Hughes is going to turn every rock over looking for possible moves like the Dach and Newhook trades. Necas fits and I bet some GM's are talking with his agent as we speak. Trying to get a feel for what kind of contract he wants... before they get serious in trade value. After all, you are allowed to talk to a RFA

I hope the Canes are ready for quantity offers :laugh:. Packing some pieces from this list:
* Jets 1st
* Flames 1st
* Mesar
* Barron
* Harris
* Avs 2nd

I think the min the Canes ask for pieces like Guhle, Xhekaj, Roy, Reinbacher, Hutson, we are out of trade talks. There is a center we might have on the table as a depth piece. Dvorak. Not sure the Habs put one of Beck or Kapanen on the table.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you're saying he's a middle 6F? :sarcasm:

Middle 2C ;). But to be serious, yes. He's a middle 6F but a center. Getting older but can still play. The ideal spot for him at this stage of his career and the Canes direction is at 3C. Home ice last change and you just stick him with the other teams top line.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
From the outside looking in, I agree. Staal is what you want on a contender at 3C. Someone who really makes the match-up game difficult for the other teams coach. He can still survive at 2C to some degree but ideally, you want someone better/younger and to have Staal handle the shutdown responsibilities in a 3C role.

I'm surprised to see other fans not realize how important Staal is for the Canes. Without him, it's a set back and very noticeable.

No doubt. Hughes is going to turn every rock over looking for possible moves like the Dach and Newhook trades. Necas fits and I bet some GM's are talking with his agent as we speak. Trying to get a feel for what kind of contract he wants... before they get serious in trade value. After all, you are allowed to talk to a RFA

I hope the Canes are ready for quantity offers :laugh:. Packing some pieces from this list:
* Jets 1st
* Flames 1st
* Mesar
* Barron
* Harris
* Avs 2nd

I think the min the Canes ask for pieces like Guhle, Xhekaj, Roy, Reinbacher, Hutson, we are out of trade talks. There is a center we might have on the table as a depth piece. Dvorak. Not sure the Habs put one of Beck or Kapanen on the table.

What is nice about this for the rest of the league is that it would make the Hurricanes immediately worse.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
IMO, Staal is still very effective at 3C but not 2C. Lowering him to 4C is too much.
He should be a defensive 3C in that case

He doesnt bring much offense but they have Kuznetsov who can be the offensive 3C

Aho is a top 15 C in the league and then if they can add a good to great 2C the Canes become pretty well set at C.

Staal/Kuz/Kotkaniemi as 2C wont work imo

Kadri has 2 years too much term but he would be the perfect 2C for the Canes at 7M. If he had 3 year term yoy could acquire him without worry of rapid decline in first 2 years and he doesnt intefere with future Cane prospects post ELC deals

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
He should be a defensive 3C in that case

He doesnt bring much offense but they have Kuznetsov who can be the offensive 3C

Aho is a top 15 C in the league and then if they can add a good to great 2C the Canes become pretty well set at C.

Staal/Kuz/Kotkaniemi as 2C wont work imo

Kadri has 2 years too much term but he would be the perfect 2C for the Canes at 7M. If he had 3 year term yoy could acquire him without worry of rapid decline in first 2 years and he doesnt intefere with future Cane prospects post ELC deals
Kadri is close but the player you are looking for is Danault. He's 2 years younger than Kadri, only 3 years left on his deal (compared to 5 for Kadri) and only costs $5.5m which helps the Canes with salary cap space. He would be the perfect 2C for Carolina and Necas would fit with LA on the wing with Byfield.

The problem is LA is highly unlikely to move Danault now that the PLD situation hasn't worked out. Plus, Danault loves LA and has that NMC. But both teams could've had strong Center depth. [Stupid PLD]

Car: Aho/Danault/Kotkaniemi/Staal

LA: Kopitar/Byfield/PLD/Turcotte

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Maybe slight add. A lot of money tied to Necas also. Habs not really bending over backwards to acquire him. Those deals are high risks. Many don't work out, Dubois or Fiala.
Habs paid more for Dach and Newhook and Necas has proved more imo. I would add more to the 26th to get him. Habs would also need to extend him first...

That being said I dont like the stuff with his father, The Habs have had a rough time with that in recent memory.....

Have to be a huge plus on that. Pick #26 alone shouldn't even get you in the conversation.
Just out of curiosity what would the ask be?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Have to be a huge plus on that. Pick #26 alone shouldn't even get you in the conversation.

Habs offers will be a quantity offer. Best I can come up with is Jets 1st, Barron, and Beck (max offer and other Habs fans start lower). Beck is a player most Habs fans would not want to trade. Habs have two centers who have 2C or 3C potential ability (Kapanen, Beck). It's possible we can have one of them available. I don't like putting one on the table but you got got to give to get.

Barron is a type I see being mature in the 25-30 range. He's a bit behind on the maturity side in terms of D coverage but the offensive side of his game is good. Rare RD who can skate and has size with a great shot. Small amount of games with no consistent play but his putting up 10 goals in 82 games prorated. Certainly potential there but we have Reinbacher and Mailloux on the RD side ahead of him.

This deal would be tentative based on what contract Necas asks for. If it's 8x $8M, I pass. If it's 8x $6.5M or $7M, I'm interested. Or 5x $6M. Tricky one and comes with risks. Pay a price and then give him a big deal. These types of moves don't have high probability of being great moves.

If any of us were a GM, we could find out quickly what Necas would be asking for on a contract. He's a RFA and you can talk to his agent.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Habs offers will be a quantity offer. Best I can come up with is Jets 1st, Barron, and Beck (max offer and other Habs fans start lower). Beck is a player most Habs fans would not want to trade. Habs have two centers who have 2C or 3C potential ability (Kapanen, Beck). It's possible we can have one of them available. I don't like putting one on the table but you got got to give to get.

Barron is a type I see being mature in the 25-30 range. He's a bit behind on the maturity side in terms of D coverage but the offensive side of his game is good. Rare RD who can skate and has size with a great shot. Small amount of games with no consistent play but his putting up 10 goals in 82 games prorated. Certainly potential there but we have Reinbacher and Mailloux on the RD side ahead of him.

This deal would be tentative based on what contract Necas asks for. If it's 8x $8M, I pass. If it's 8x $6.5M or $7M, I'm interested. Or 5x $6M. Tricky one and comes with risks. Pay a price and then give him a big deal. These types of moves don't have high probability of being great moves.

If any of us were a GM, we could find out quickly what Necas would be asking for on a contract. He's a RFA and you can talk to his agent.
Carolina is stretched at the cap next season. 26m on cap, 5RFAs and 3 players that might demand over 7m+ . Hence the Necas situation.

Habs have the space. They are calling... Not sure they want the picks unless it's our 1st. Else, we have maybe 2 D high prospect... or Caufield straight up.

So, I do not see it happening.

Reactions: Chan790

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

If Necas will sign 8 x $6.5m then we will gladly keep him in Carolina. Notice how there are 15 trade proposal threads on Necas and reports of multiple teams being interested in him? That doesn't scream 'Canes trade him for a grab bag of quantity'.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Just out of curiosity what would the ask be?
Unclear. I don't see these teams as even a remotely good match for a trade. What we'd be looking for is probably precisely what you're not looking to move...equivalent young pieces of immediate use, rather than futures.

As HH said, a Canadiens offer is probably volume and I don't know that we're looking for volume (or picks.) Beyond that, I don't know. Every time I speculate, we hear rumors later on pieces I don't understand our interest in (Hronek) or get rebuffed by opposing teams' fans on anyone that makes sense for Carolina.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Necas will sign 8 x $6.5m then we will gladly keep him in Carolina. Notice how there are 15 trade proposal threads on Necas and reports of multiple teams being interested in him? That doesn't scream 'Canes trade him for a grab bag of quantity'.

Not sure how many GM's will go with 8x $8M. I have no interest in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad