Confirmed with Link: Neal Pionk - four-year extension, AAV of $5.875 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
Hey... after this signing... I'm off to Southwood to to meet Chevy and start drinking early...

Cheers all... !!!

:cheers:
I'll have to admit, it sounds too good to be true. But if it works out like it may I might have to make some personal budget changes.

I can't really afford nhl.tv right now. Was planning on waiting until march to sign up again, but if this works out I need to have the package back by october. It seems like Hellybuck will be full vezna with so much back end support.

Reactions: John Agar

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
I'm definitly excited to see what his exposure is with a D-Core with more depth. I bet his numbers improve and this is a steal of a deal. He may be given better minutes with the additions we have made. Rather than having to play as defensive.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If you say so, I'll trust you on this.

Comire seems completely unproven at the nhl level from what cap friendly tells me.

I have to admit with a stack d corp they can survive with a lessor goalie.

EDIT: For the record I forgot how many young forwards we had.

To be fair, we have a pretty good track record with unproven goalies, just like Brossoit and Hutchinson were back in the day.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
To be fair, we have a pretty good track record with unproven goalies, just like Brossoit and Hutchinson were back in the day.

Yea, I'm not to worried about the backup situation. If Comrie and/or Birden can't do the jobs there is always goalies available on the wavier wire or for a cheap trade.

Now if Helle gets hurt then all bets are off, but this is true for most team if their #1 goalie is injured.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I'd argue that this is the most balanced our defensive roster has ever been. Our cup run core had great size but was a bit polarized. Buff, Trouba and Morrissey were all on their games, however Chiarot wasn't fantastic, Kulikov was average and Enstrom was pretty much done. Our bottom 3 are much improved now.

Buff, Trouba, 2018 Morrissey > Pionk, Schmidt, 2021 Morrrissey
Chiarot, Kulikov, Myers < DeMelo, Dillon, Stanley

If we suppress the other team's offence and shot counts, we will be better.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
What a steal. This may expose the myth that players don't want to play in Winnipeg. Players want to win. That's the main thing. They recognize that our window is wide open now.

Plus, with the growing covid numbers in other provinces and the mess in the United States, perhaps an isolated berg in the middle of nowhere has a unique appeal in these strange times.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just curious what you'd say if I could offer you a nice shiny trouba who never left instead of pionk on this deal? I have a feeling the nyr got obliterated on this one

To make it more fun...also answer based on if you got to keep the first rounder we sent

I would take Trouba with that contract over Pionk. Trouba's chemestry with Morrissey was just too good to give up.

That being said, I love Pionk and this deal. He plays bigger than his size and is a great all around defenceman.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Great to have this done. Solution seems to be sign Copp to the max we can for one year to hit pretty much exactly the cap. Gives us max LTIR space, he gets a reasonable deal a bit more than he may get in arbitration. And he gets to get paid next off-season by us or someone of his choosing.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
What a steal. This may expose the myth that players don't want to play in Winnipeg. Players want to win. That's the main thing. They recognize that our window is wide open now.

Plus, with the growing covid numbers in other provinces and the mess in the United States, perhaps an isolated berg in the middle of nowhere has a unique appeal in these strange times.
I'd also add a full length season(not all games are in the middle of winter) where players can actually go out when on the road, may do a whole lot in making winnipeg more desirable.

You also gotta think when so many 2nd tier teams are in the rebuild CBJ/Wilds/Sabres etc Winnipeg doesn't look near as bad. Winnipeg is a solid team in the weaker conference.

ElLoboBlanco

Jan 20, 2021
Just curious what you'd say if I could offer you a nice shiny trouba who never left instead of pionk on this deal? I have a feeling the nyr got obliterated on this one

To make it more fun...also answer based on if you got to keep the first rounder we sent

Hard to say. The Trouba/Morrisey duo was a pretty excellent top pair.

It's possible they could have continued at that rate had they not been split up.

Without Troubas inflated contract I could have likely been happy keeping both in the 12M range for a proven (at the time) top pair.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
This is great news. I guessed 5yrs at 5.75 but 4 yrs at 5.85 isn't far off. Very happy with this and room to spare for Copper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad