Other Sports: NCAA Thread v12

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm a happy camper, Penn State has a real offense and my Longhorns are officially back, baby.
Next week we bitch slap Michigan.
Of course, we have Georgia in Austin, Oklahoma in Dallas, and Texas A&M.
But what other school would have Arch Manning on the bench for another year (the plan is for him to start next year when Ewers goes pro).
Texas has hit that critical mass where you reload, not rebuild every three years.

If the Penn State offense is for real, they have a shot at schools like Ohio State - that conservative offense never gave them a shot in big games. Not sold on Allar quite yet, don't see the quick decision making of a top college QB, but he has the arm and the OC to bring out the best in him.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I'm a happy camper, Penn State has a real offense and my Longhorns are officially back, baby.
Next week we bitch slap Michigan.
Of course, we have Georgia in Austin, Oklahoma in Dallas, and Texas A&M.
But what other school would have Arch Manning on the bench for another year (the plan is for him to start next year when Ewers goes pro).
Texas has hit that critical mass where you reload, not rebuild every three years.

If the Penn State offense is for real, they have a shot at schools like Ohio State - that conservative offense never gave them a shot in big games. Not sold on Allar quite yet, don't see the quick decision making of a top college QB, but he has the arm and the OC to bring out the best in him.

In all seriousness, Arch should be better than Ewers. The latter is one of those technically accurate guys who don't have the pinpoint ball placement necessary to be as poor on deep balls as he is. He's a JAG with an incredible scheme and supporting cast.

Then the next hurdle will be flipping the staff as they get picked apart. I'm saying the same things about Sark now that I said about Kirby in 2021. The difference between Saban and everyone else is that he kept hiring the right coaches over and over again.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Not sold on Allar quite yet, don't see the quick decision making of a top college QB, but he has the arm and the OC to bring out the best in him.
I wish that Franklin would knock it off with QB running the ball. Allar is a thrower. He should be allowed to focus on that. If he keeps running, he's going to get broken. There are better guys in the backfield to run the ball. I just don't think that Franklin's mind has ever left Vanderbilt where he had his dual threat QBs who did neither well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Allar had like one designed run against WVU out of his six carries. The rest were all scrambles. Four or five of them picked up first downs.

He picked up two first downs on third & long on their opening scoring drive in the second half.

They were bringing in their backup Pribula for designed run plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Allar had like one designed run against WVU out of his six carries. The rest were all scrambles. Four or five of them picked up first downs.

He picked up two first downs on third & long on their opening scoring drive in the second half.

They were bringing in their backup Pribula for designed run plays.
Based upon the play of the QBs at State since Franklin showed up, Pribula is the type of QB that Franklin likes best.
Allar needs to dump the ball rather than run with it. He’s going to get broken if he runs with it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Based upon the play of the QBs at State since Franklin showed up, Pribula is the type of QB that Franklin likes best.
Allar needs to dump the ball rather than run with it. He’s going to get broken if he runs with it.

He literally slid & avoided contact on pretty much most of those runs against WVU. One of the few he didn’t it was the difference between moving the chains or not when he ran over Trotter with a stiff arm.

Youre making up criticism for sake of doing so here. There isn’t a coach in America at any level that is going to tell their QB to avoid running when the play breaks down & there’s running lanes.

It was literally six times he carried the ball & he got tackled on like two of them with the one specifically mentioned above. 5 out of the 6 carries were literally positive plays that moved the football.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I’m not a Mike Norvell guy in general, but in a year you think you’re good enough, you just cannot bet on DJU. He’s unplayable in a big conference.

Next year’s FSU is Ole Miss. Very worried about that team if they don’t hit the portal hard.

Reactions: flyershockey

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I’m not a Mike Norvell guy in general, but in a year you think you’re good enough, you just cannot bet on DJU. He’s unplayable in a big conference.

Next year’s FSU is Ole Miss. Very worried about that team if they don’t hit the portal hard.
I think Lane is going for it all this year to make the next jump. I think he's in Gainesville next seaon.

I've been on record that Norvell kind of sucks. He's won only 60% of his games at FSU. Jimbo needed to go, but there's a ton denial there that they got better with Mike. Plus, he's a brutal negative recruiter, so **** him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Florida State relies on the portal too much & not enough in high school recruiting/developing. There just isn’t enough good players in the portal every year to consistently sustain that type of intake.

None of the other big schools take in anywhere near the amount of transfers as they do & for good reason.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I think Lane is going for it all this year to make the next jump. I think he's in Gainesville next seaon.

I've been on record that Norvell kind of sucks. He's won only 60% of his games at FSU. Jimbo needed to go, but there's a ton denial there that they got better with Mike. Plus, he's a brutal negative recruiter, so **** him.

We were so close to Norvell in Tuscaloosa. That would have fed families. Instead, Jimmy Sexton ate for everyone. Ah. Right.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Florida State relies on the portal too much & not enough in high school recruiting/developing. There just isn’t enough good players in the portal every year to consistently sustain that type of intake.

None of the other big schools take in anywhere near the amount of transfers as they do & for good reason.
It's pure insanity when you consider even from a regional standpoint, they have a footprint in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Hell, SW GA and SE Alabama are huge FSU hotbeads and there's a ton of talent floating around those HS programs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
DJ reminds me of Florida Jeff Driskel. All of the gifts but too damn slow and deliberate in the pocket.

Wasn’t FSU the favorite for Cam Ward at one point? Can’t tell me they are 0-2 with him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I am mad that I missed FSU losing to BC because I figured nothing interesting would happen in that game.

The ACC is really tubgirling themselves so far.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The ACC is down bad right now. Obviously Florida State is the easier one to essentially eliminate with two losses. It’s not even just the two losses. I don’t think Georgia Tech or Boston College are like bonafide top 25 caliber teams. They’re probably somewhere in that 30-50 range. They just both thoroughly outplayed Florida State too. So I don’t think this is at all the last losses for Florida State this year.

VT took a hit this past weekend as a preseason dark horse type of team. Clemson I think is more so the overreaction in regards to the ACC race & ultimately a playoff. They still have a really manageable regular season left. Louisville & NC State are probably their toughest games left on their schedule. I don’t think South Carolina is any good.

Miami on paper even looking at recruiting rankings & such are pretty clear the most talented team & they have the best QB in conference. But it is Miami & Cristobal so I wouldn’t blame anybody of being skeptical until it actually happens.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
@JojoTheWhale @flyershockey I was listening to 247Sports recruiting podcast. They were talking about Clemson. In the last five cycles they’ve signed 29 bluechip recruits (4 or 5 stars) on offense. Will Shipley is the only one to get drafted. Even with a projecting some of those guys they said RB Phil Mafah & TE Jake Briningstool amongst what’s currently on their roster which would feel comfortable projecting as an NFL draft caliber of player. Both are probably more so Day 3 guys than Day 2 guys as well.

They’ve had so many recruiting busts on offense in recent years.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale @flyershockey I was listening to 247Sports recruiting podcast. They were talking about Clemson. In the last five cycles they’ve signed 29 bluechip recruits (4 or 5 stars) on offense. Will Shipley is the only one to get drafted. Even with a projecting some of those guys they said RB Phil Mafah & TE Jake Briningstool amongst what’s currently on their roster which would feel comfortable projecting as an NFL draft caliber of player. Both are probably more so Day 3 guys than Day 2 guys as well.

Jimbo and Dabo don't rhyme by accident.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Even 29 blue chippers in the last five cycles is pretty terrible for a program coming off two titles in the last 8 years. 80% of their classes should be blue chippers.

Dabo's got a couple of problems. For one, he can't stop Dabo'ing and doubling down on "culture" guys. I heard something the other day in regard to his portal philosophy that would seriously concern me as a Clemson fan. They've looked into the portal more in recent cycles, but they've always come to the conclusion that they just like who they already have more. Sir, your roster is a shell of what it was five years ago. You still have a program that's known for championship/NFL pedigree with current recruits and transfer players. Why would you not look that way?

Also, Dabo's late 2010 classes would rely heavily on picking up elite regional prospects (GA, NC, FL, AL, TN). They've essentially been shut of that now with Kirby's recruiting in GA, a resurgent Tennessee, the Florida pipeline drying up (NIL related probably) and Alabama continuing to do whatever the hell they want in recruiting (with more of a regional focus lately).

Tennessee rising will to be the final death knell to Dabo's regional recruiting. It's almost impossible for all three of GA, TN and Clemson to be elite at the same time. They all recruit directly against one another and there's not enough high-end talent to go around.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Dabo is one of the last relics standing. Of the Beamer/Bowden sort. He's got a principled idea of what college football should be and he is sticking to it. Hell, if I'm remembering right those three all become really close friends as principled idiots fighting the wave of time.

Eh. I like them all, but right now it seems their ways are dead. College football is purely mercenary now. I also hate that but all things change

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Dabo is one of the last relics standing. Of the Beamer/Bowden sort. He's got a principled idea of what college football should be and he is sticking to it. Hell, if I'm remembering right those three all become really close friends as principled idiots fighting the wave of time.

Eh. I like them all, but right now it seems their ways are dead. College football is purely mercenary now.
It's weird because he was pretty innovative in his approach at one point. He's never been a huge X's and O's guy, but he was a great CEO type that players loved and he made excellent staff hires. He was great with getting Clemson to invest in their facilities and had a unique recruiting approach that included taking smaller classes (thus prioritizing every recruit versus the meat grinder approach at most other schools) that a lot of players and parents really liked.

He just can't get past them getting paid, which is kind of crazy considering that he, as a football coach, is by far the highest paid state employee of SC.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's weird because he was pretty innovative in his approach at one point. He's never been a huge X's and O's guy, but he was a great CEO type that players loved and he made excellent staff hires. He was great with getting Clemson to invest in their facilities and had a unique recruiting approach that included taking smaller classes (thus prioritizing every recruit versus the meat grinder approach at most other schools) that a lot of players and parents really liked.

He just can't get past them getting paid, which is kind of crazy considering that he, as a football coach, is by far the highest paid state employee of SC.

He excels at the "Team Building" approach. In the "Buy A Team" era his strengths are mitigated. It is hard to do what he did when impatient guys can easily leave.

It sure seems to me that he could remain just as good if he had to pay dudes but he has his principles.

There is indeed a degree of cringe (as the cool youths of our day say) about his pay level relative to his opposition to players prospering.

Reactions: flyershockey

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I do think the transfer portal will eventually start losing its appeal to a certain extent. Players are starting to realize that a pretty significant portion of players that enter the portal just don't get picked up by anyone, and that the school they were with usually doesn't want them back at that point. The super high-end players will still draw headlines, but the unproven players might be better off sticking it out at a great school versus taking the chance of ending up in Juco, FCS, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad